Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Torhs Team

other sports

My dad always told me when i was younger that i needed to play another sport (soccer) to increase my game, like endurance and foot speed. or perhaps football for the checking and endurance. but he said that hockey alone, which is all i wanted to do, wouldnt cut it. Any of you find one specific sport helping you alot with hockey skills. or some of you just doing hockey for another sport?

It's good to be well balanced and in general, athletic. If you are playing high level hockey year round, and training/working hard it is more than enough. All of my buddies who are really good hockey players are also amazing all around athletes. You don't necessarily have to spend a lot of time on other sports in order to help your game. If it suits you, then giver. I would focus on hockey specific training, plyos, gym workouts designed for you, dryland, etc, if you want to get better. Obviously there is overkill, but really if you work hard at practice, train hard, and play lots of games your skills will get better than if you were doing other sports and then hockey.

As for me, I go to a Prep School so I have to option to play sports before 2nd term (hockey season) starts, and after hockey season is over. I take advantage of that, and play football in 1st, hockey in 2nd, and golf/lacrosse/track in 3rd.

Off-Ice Training(Running,Push-Ups,Etc.) and going to the Gym 3X a Week will help you more than playing another sport..

I would have to say that soccer really helped my game, my dekes have improved dramaticly since then. My awwarness of wear the puck is improved greatly and i feal real comfortable if the puck is in my skates.

The point of playing other sports and not spending your entire exercise on 1 sport is that most people will burnout. I know I have more fun when I'm playing a couple sports, and sports like wrestling and football will help you the most, I think. Water polo too would be a great way to work legs. It's just a lot more fun when you play a couple different sports instead of focus entirely on one. It keeps the experience fresh.

ive played other sports but never liked any of them other then hockey. this year i have hockey about 4 times a week, plus gym class every day 1st semester and try to work out 2 times a week to keep my strength up.

I think soccer players just might be among the fittest athletes on the planet, in terms of cardiovascular endurance...look at the size of that friggin' field...I haven't a clue how these guys run like that all game. It's no wonder their leg muscles are so HUGE. Now if they could just skate and pick up a stick...Ronaldinho a #1 Pick?

Many of the European players actually kick around a soccer ball before games to help their focus and coordination. It's those guys that usually can kick the puck up to their stick in tight situations.

Of course, Martin Havlat takes soccer practice on the ice, but that's just him.

Lacrosse is also a popular sport among hockey players, it really helps with the hand-eye coordination and Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts grew up playing the game together in Whitby.

I personally play everything when I'm not playing hockey - basketball, baseball, golf, touch football, dragonboating...whatever to keep me moving. Does it help? Not that I can see - terrible hockey players will be terrible hockey plaers :lol:

I think this is really the only community I know of on the 'net that has such a large population of Canadians...I like it.

I think soccer has similarities to hockey.

However, I think it's more important for you to undestand what the odds are of your chances to progress in any sport. I'm going off my memory here, so I could be off with the percentages, but something like 3% of high school players make it to college, and then 1% of college players make it to pros?

What's the point of this? The odds say that most of the people playing this sport as children are not going to progress, so I think it's more important that you play sports you like because you like them. I weighed 135# coming out of high school, so I wasn't going anywhere in my athletic career. I was terrible at hockey, but I loved the sport and I loved to hit. I couldn't make the varsity football team, but I played on the JV and was able to play running back and inside linebacker, which are two positions that are a lot of fun.

For all of you here, I hope you are among the small minortity that make it but, if not, just think of sports as fun activities in your lives.

One of my junior coaches would play basketball with us twice a week during off-season. He said that it is the ball game most similar to hockey.

play as many different sports as possible. I am always amazed when I go to work a hockey camp somewhere and kids are not able to kick a soccer ball, or throw a baseball. If you look around the NHL a lot of the guys there were also very good at another sport as well. Also every conference and symposium I go to the NHL trainers always talk about getting kids involved in sports other than hockey.

My dad always told me when i was younger that i needed to play another sport (soccer) to increase my game, like endurance and foot speed. or perhaps football for the checking and endurance. but he said that hockey alone, which is all i wanted to do, wouldnt cut it. Any of you find one specific sport helping you alot with hockey skills. or some of you just doing hockey for another sport?

true, but that's when you are younger, like from very young to 11-12 so that you can have develop habilities you would have difficulties to develop just playing hockey. I never played in an another league than hockey but I played woth my friends at soccer and baseball a lot and it helped my hand-eye and such thing. Then after, it's gotta be sport specific.

lacrosse will be a very close substitute, and keep you in shape. from guys that ive talked with that play hockey and took up lax... did wonders for their hands!! might be worth a shot.

Played baseball and football (soccer and US) growing up. I guess you can take hand/eye and chewing from baseball, plus the obvious from soccer. At the very least it was a break from hockey and made me miss it.

Soccer didn't help me too much.

But playing soccer ON ICE is a good exercise expecially when your not a good skater.

Remember not to do the same exact movement as you do on real soccer...

results were painful...

Soccer is always good for footwork and endurance. Also, I found that playing volleyball in high school really helped. You can really build up some leg strength with that game.

The soviets used to have to play a lot of full contact basketball and a lot of other games which incorporate different parts of sports, like soccer and tennis. I've also seen that in Russia, they'll make you practice stickhandling while dribbling a ball or a puck in between your feet, stride for stride. It's hard but I can see how it would help.

Was it Roberts or Shanny that said you shouldn't play year round hockey...they recommend a complimentary sport for the summer. They are both Lacrosse guys...

Playing soccer seemed to help Peter Zezel (remember him?) on face offs...he hardly ever used his stick...tied up the man, and kicked it back....which come to think of it, he couldn't do in the "new" NHL.

Was it Roberts or Shanny that said you shouldn't play year round hockey...they recommend a complimentary sport for the summer. They are both Lacrosse guys...

Playing soccer seemed to help Peter Zezel (remember him?) on face offs...he hardly ever used his stick...tied up the man, and kicked it back....which come to think of it, he couldn't do in the "new" NHL.

Wow, there's a name I haven't heard in a while...Peter Zezel. Yup, Zezel was a pro soccer player in the offseason, he played for the Toronto Lynx. He actually has a soccer/hockey camp in my hometown...

Nieuwendyk, Roberts and Shanahan were/are all lacrosse players. I think the Ottawa NLL team wanted to draft Roberts with their #1 pick during the lockout...anyone else hear about that?