Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Petey21

Backyard rinks

Does anyone here have access to a backyard rink, or did in the past? I've never even seen one in person but they look really cool, must be rough to have one in your own backyard.

Here's a picture of a cool one I found (not for sale though), I like how they even painted lines and faceoff circles and stuff and put ads on the boards, and aren't there little Oilers logos there too?

105464.jpg

And here's one for sale on Ebay, complete with boards and glass and all, very cool. A bit pricey though but still, I wouldn't mind having this in my backyard... :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Raita-almost-new-hocke...1QQcmdZViewItem

And for those who don't wanna spend thousands of dollars but still want a rink, here's a cheaper version I found, a portable rink (comes in different sizes).

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/70512.asp

Check out this website, there are some amazing rinks on it.

http://www.hpurchase.com/backyard.htm

I made my first rink 2 years ago. It finally got cold enough and I had beautiful ice. I got a couple of skates in on it and then, 3 snow storms and 27 inches of snow later (all in a matter of 2 weeks), it totally ruined my rink. I spent all my time cleaning the snow from my drive and sidewalk after work and never did get a chance to clear the rink.

my friend has a sweet rink in his yard. hes had it for like 8 years and last year he expanded it from 65x40 to 85x45. he has 4 foot wood boards all around that curve in corner, full cage netting behind one end, hes doing the other end this year, and 6 wicked bright lights for night.

I know 32F is freezing but about what avg. temp and about how many days would you need to let a rink taht size (don't know the thickness, maybe 2 in.?) umm, temper? Is that the word?

You know what I mean, how long til you could skate on that bad boy?

For some reason my wife can't figure out why I keep insisting that we need to level the back yard. It has a little too much slope for a rink right now.

you know how freakin rich you gotta be, let alone commited. even if you get a little rink, its gonna cost alot, i asked my parents for one when i was like ten and they said i could have one of those slipery pads that feels like ice, and it has a metal cage behind the net if you miss. but that rink would be sweet.

Yeah I know. There is no way that I could buy that, or my parents would buy it. I was just saying how awsome it would be IF someone had one like that.

I have a backyard rink at my dads house, and at my moms house im 5 minute walking distance from two outdoor rinks at schools. about 90% of elementary schools here have an outdoor rink with shack, boards, nets etc.

Exactly the same here. I have at least 4 within 10 minutes of me. LOL you guys forget that your obviously not gunna be playing with offsides etc. with your buddies you dont need lines. You just smooth the snow in the backyard out across an area. Put more snow in some places tomake it even, make some banks on the side water for a week in -10 weather and your good to go.

LOL you guys forget that your obviously not gunna be playing with offsides etc. with your buddies you dont need lines. You just smooth the snow in the backyard out across an area. Put more snow in some places tomake it even, make some banks on the side water for a week in -10 weather and your good to go.

Exactly. I have a rink in my yard every year. Its not very big, just like 40'x20', but all we do is wait for it to get cold out, pack down the snow, and spray it down with the garden hose. It's too small for me but it's perfect for my little brother (he's 5). The problem with the ones that you order is that the ground has to be perfectly level or it doesn't work out.

wow shere, where you live?

I don't know, but it's the same way where I live (St. Albert, near Edmonton). According to google earth the nearest rink from my house is 282 feet, then 4/10ths of a mile, 1/2 a mile, and the one I usually go to is just under a mile.

Has anyone here seen an episode of Viva La Bam where Bam turns his house into an ice rink (or something like it)? If you have, do you know what he uses as the "ice"?

For those who don't understand, Bam used some sort of flooring that you can skate on without needing the cold.

Has anyone here seen an episode of Viva La Bam where Bam turns his house into an ice rink (or something like it)? If you have, do you know what he uses as the "ice"?

For those who don't understand, Bam used some sort of flooring that you can skate on without needing the cold.

I know what you mean there was a topic on the stuff your talking about a couple months back.

I know what you mean there was a topic on the stuff your talking about a couple months back.

ya i think it was the synthetic ice stuff. at my rink they have that stuff at the goalie training center, it kind of messes up your edges if you skate on it.

http://www.coldproducts.com/ezvideo.php

thats the stuff he used , its really cool , watch the videos of the hockey players , it reacts exactly like ice