Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

That's true anywhere where a local player has a blade pattern named after him. Kids want to use the stick that their favorite player uses. Growing up in MI, I used Yzerman hook because he was one of my favorite players. Just goes to show the marketing department knows what they're doing.

But what makes the company decide which name goes on which pattern? Do they put it on the pattern that's cheapest to make or how does it work?

I doubt it all isn't about money, I can't see CCM giving the straighest curve they have and naming it Ovechkin... It must have a correlation to the player that "uses" it.

Nope

i just found this hilarious

i had a customer walk in to the store on monday with a buddy...they went to look at the sticks, so they are looking at the curves... and one of the guys was like "hey look an ovechkin" so they pulled it off the rack and they were lookin at it...and the other guy goes "wow what a weird curve...no wonder he can score goals off his back" and they continued to be fascinated by the fact that ovechkin really uses a curve like that...not realizing that it is a retail pattern...

i tried hard not to laugh...as i was on the forum looking at ovechkin/kovalchuk/ spezza curve pictures...cuz i was killing time...if they only knew...

i just found this hilarious

i had a customer walk in to the store on monday with a buddy...they went to look at the sticks, so they are looking at the curves... and one of the guys was like "hey look an ovechkin" so they pulled it off the rack and they were lookin at it...and the other guy goes "wow what a weird curve...no wonder he can score goals off his back" and they continued to be fascinated by the fact that ovechkin really uses a curve like that...not realizing that it is a retail pattern...

i tried hard not to laugh...as i was on the forum looking at ovechkin/kovalchuk/ spezza curve pictures...cuz i was killing time...if they only knew...

The only thing I could see making this story better is if they pulled a lefty off the wall.

That's true anywhere where a local player has a blade pattern named after him. Kids want to use the stick that their favorite player uses. Growing up in MI, I used Yzerman hook because he was one of my favorite players. Just goes to show the marketing department knows what they're doing.

But what makes the company decide which name goes on which pattern? Do they put it on the pattern that's cheapest to make or how does it work?

I doubt it all isn't about money, I can't see CCM giving the straighest curve they have and naming it Ovechkin... It must have a correlation to the player that "uses" it.

Nope

None at all? Not one tiny thing that would be the same? I never knew, sorry for my stupidity.

I guess it's possible that a retail curve could resemble its pro namesake's actual curve, but that strikes me as pretty far down the marketing priority list. Correlating best-selling curve to biggest endorsement is the most obvious one; then maybe using newer, hipper names to boost sales of curves that are slipping down the chart; then maybe an attempt to match a curve to the generalities of the pro's position (ie. Lidstrom's curve being marketted as "good for defencemen"); and then, maybe, you'd consider proximity to the real curve.

Total speculation, but it probably shakes down something like that.

Nope

None at all? Not one tiny thing that would be the same? I never knew, sorry for my stupidity.

Bauer's PM9 went from Hossa to St. Louis to Malkin. I'm going to bet that the PM9 is nowhere near the curve any of these guys use.

If there is a proximity between retail curve and the actual curve that player uses I would bet that it's coincidence.

back on hand. dude walks into LHS while im waiting on my skates. keep in mind this is switzerland. and he goes

"Hey, do you have the graf catalog for this season/ next season, i need to order my son new skates and they're gonna be graf"

"yep, here. but keep in mind, there are a couple newer models coming up, same skate with some touch ups."

"thats odd, those grafs that are on hockeymonkey arent in here, oh well, i guess i'll get him eastons."

I chime in; "sir, i dont mean to be rude, but dont you think it would be better to get him to try on skates, and pick the one that fits best?"

"No, that makes no sense at all, just a waste of my time and the workers time. If they dont fit, he'll have to suck it up. right now he's wearing RBK's, eastons should be fine."

god i love the swiss mentality...

Nope

Bauer's PM9 went from Hossa to St. Louis to Malkin. I'm going to bet that the PM9 is nowhere near the curve any of these guys use.

If there is a proximity between retail curve and the actual curve that player uses I would bet that it's coincidence.

ovechkin pro

stick_curve2.jpg

looks nothing like the ovechkin retail

nothing against you in any way, just that some people refuse to be told that they are wrong, and in Switzerland I get alot of it, and it gets to a point where it becomes quite annoying. Not hating in any personal way or form.

Nope

looks nothing like the ovechkin retail

we're aware of this.

Man...just signed up recently and trying to read all the posts, quite a bit :/ Anyways, I just got into hockey and I'm thankful to say so far I haven't done anything you guys consider pet peeves...phew. I cannot say enough about how important good customer service is. I have two LHS I [can] go to, one is close and the other is about a 45 min drive (not huge but not tiny either). Unfortunately, the close one doesn't have the best service so I only go there for minor things like getting some pucks and such, so basically whatever doesn't require much customer service. I rather drive further and use up more gas (even with the high prices) because their service is just so much better. Any question, anything you need it's done no matter how long it takes. I'm sure many of my questions have been on the stupid side of the spectrum but regardless they have always been patient, courteous and helpful. In fact, I bought my helmet one time with a guy and was looking for skates they didn't have (but ordered) and was there maybe 30 minutes? Anyways I went in 3 or so months later and he came up and asked me if I got my skates and how things were going, etc.

Edited by freestyla

Anyways I went in 3 or so months later and he came up and asked me if I got my skates and how things were going, etc.

That's something I like doing. If I spend a decent amount of time with a customer, I should be able to remember what he/she purchased, so I'll try to bring it up the next time they come in. Obviously you can't do it with every customer, but whatever...

"No, that makes no sense at all, just a waste of my time and the workers time. If they dont fit, he'll have to suck it up. right now he's wearing RBK's, eastons should be fine."

Ouch. That's rough. Gotta love the stubborn ones eh?

Anyways I went in 3 or so months later and he came up and asked me if I got my skates and how things were going, etc.

That's something I like doing. If I spend a decent amount of time with a customer, I should be able to remember what he/she purchased, so I'll try to bring it up the next time they come in. Obviously you can't do it with every customer, but whatever...

Ran into one of my LHS's workers at the supermarket the other day, he asked me how the helmet and skates I got with him were doing and he made a comment about not seeing me in a while. I made it a point to stop by a few days later and spend $50.

Ran into one of my LHS's workers at the supermarket the other day, he asked me how the helmet and skates I got with him were doing and he made a comment about not seeing me in a while. I made it a point to stop by a few days later and spend $50.

bet you'd never do that for the guy at the deli counter no matter how good the service is ;)

bet you'd never do that for the guy at the deli counter no matter how good the service is ;)

Well, it had been a while since I spent 4 months in Philly and have been off skates since July.

Frank and Sue see me once a week, I go through meat faster than sticks. It's like that episode of King of the Hill "Bobby, I'd like you to meet my lumber guy, then maybe we'll swing by the market and I'll formally introduce you to my meat guy".

A lot of LHS workers (of any age...we younger guys can care, too) kinda "get off" on 1) flexing our "random customer memory" and 2) hearing a customer tell us that they're happy with a piece of equipment that we helped them pick-out.

I was walking out to our bus after a game a couple weeks ago when I noticed a kid (maybe 11 or 12) and his family who I had fit and sold Mission AGXs to when he came into the shop during a tournament a few weeks before. They were all standing off to the side a bit as my teammates and I loaded our shit on the bus and got ready to go home. I tossed my bag, veered off, shook the father's hand, nodded a "hello" to the mother and asked "So how have those skates been working for you?"

The kid yells "They're awesome! No break-in time at all!" I give the kid a high-five and he starts to say something else - but his dad cuts him off:

"His skating has actually improved quite a bit - especially after we got them profiled like you said. But right now I'm more impressed with the fact that you remembered us! Jeez, a random family that came across the border for a random tournament on some random weekend and bought a random pair of skates. You must see hundreds of people like us in any given week. Hell, I have to admit, I didn't recognize you until you came over and said something."

I just kinda laughed and said something like "Yeah, you probably didn't see me on the ice because I was just moving too fast, but now it's probably the clothes; I wasn't wearing a suit when I was fitting him up." We shot the shit for a little while until the bus was loaded-up and everyone was ready to go. They thanked me for my service and I thanked them for their business and directed them to our Canadian store (which isn't too far from where they were from) in the event that they would ever need any help with the skates or anything else.

Had we not won the game, I probably would have been brooding a bit and not said a thing. But the game went relatively well and I was in a good mood, so I decided to chat 'em up a bit. Ultimately, it's a win-win-win: I win because I get my ego stroked a bit, our shop wins because we probably just got a loyal, repeat customer, and the customer wins because he now knows that his business was appreciated by people who care and that he can trust.

That is a very rewarding feeling...

I've run into so many customers at Lightning/Red Wings games, they'd be like "You're the dude from the pro shop! You sold me a pair of skates and they are the best I've ever had."

Rewarding indeed. If you take the time to fit someone properly, it's always nice to hear that the customer appreciates the effort you put in and the knowledge that you "dropped" on them.

As long as I'm in the thread: I just want to send out a big "Thank you!" to all the shop employees out there who are either ridiculously ignorant or just too damn lazy to offer a customer decent service - you make the rest of us look really, really, REALLY good.

I was fitting a kid on Tuesday and was explaining different widths when the kid's mom stopped me and said "Oh my God - when we got his last skates at *random shop in the area*, they told us that skates didn't come in different widths!" Needless to say, they were forever grateful when I took the time to size him in a pair of skates that fit his foot properly right out of the box.

A lot of LHS workers (of any age...we younger guys can care, too) kinda "get off" on 1) flexing our "random customer memory" and 2) hearing a customer tell us that they're happy with a piece of equipment that we helped them pick-out.

I was walking out to our bus after a game a couple weeks ago when I noticed a kid (maybe 11 or 12) and his family who I had fit and sold Mission AGXs to when he came into the shop during a tournament a few weeks before. They were all standing off to the side a bit as my teammates and I loaded our shit on the bus and got ready to go home. I tossed my bag, veered off, shook the father's hand, nodded a "hello" to the mother and asked "So how have those skates been working for you?"

The kid yells "They're awesome! No break-in time at all!" I give the kid a high-five and he starts to say something else - but his dad cuts him off:

"His skating has actually improved quite a bit - especially after we got them profiled like you said. But right now I'm more impressed with the fact that you remembered us! Jeez, a random family that came across the border for a random tournament on some random weekend and bought a random pair of skates. You must see hundreds of people like us in any given week. Hell, I have to admit, I didn't recognize you until you came over and said something."

I just kinda laughed and said something like "Yeah, you probably didn't see me on the ice because I was just moving too fast, but now it's probably the clothes; I wasn't wearing a suit when I was fitting him up." We shot the shit for a little while until the bus was loaded-up and everyone was ready to go. They thanked me for my service and I thanked them for their business and directed them to our Canadian store (which isn't too far from where they were from) in the event that they would ever need any help with the skates or anything else.

Had we not won the game, I probably would have been brooding a bit and not said a thing. But the game went relatively well and I was in a good mood, so I decided to chat 'em up a bit. Ultimately, it's a win-win-win: I win because I get my ego stroked a bit, our shop wins because we probably just got a loyal, repeat customer, and the customer wins because he now knows that his business was appreciated by people who care and that he can trust.

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. :)

I've run into so many customers at Lightning/Red Wings games, they'd be like "You're the dude from the pro shop! You sold me a pair of skates and they are the best I've ever had."

I run into a lot of my customers as well...wether it's at West Edmonton Mall or at Rexall Place, I do see a lot a familiar faces. Most don't recognize me though, as I always wear a hat away from the store. Hehe

I run into a lot of my customers as well...wether it's at West Edmonton Mall or at Rexall Place, I do see a lot a familiar faces. Most don't recognize me though, as I always wear a hat away from the store. Hehe

Well I stick out like a sore thumb at hockey games anyway so it doesn't take much.