Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

How about when the parents come in with there 4 year old and just think its okay if he picks up a stick and a puck and starts shooting around the store?

Anyone else every experienced this?

Do you guys think it would be inappropriate to ask about a discount on something that's been on the closeout rack for over a year? Also take into account that this store's prices are so high, their "closeout" price is what the original retail price was everywhere else.

Question for the more experienced retail folks...

How do you deal with one of your regulars that constantly asks for discounts?

This one guy...comes in once a week for a sharpening, and he will ask me for a discount on something EVERY SINGLE TIME!

I take some of the blame for that, as I made the mistake of giving him a discount once, and now he constantly asks for it. He's a nice guy, but it has come to the point where I dread seeing him walk through the doors, because I know the question is coming.

I went as far as telling him that I can't discount stuff, as I get shit from the owner every time I do so, but that didn't faze him...

What should I do/say to rid me of this rather annoying problem?

Just tell him politely but firmly, NO. If he keeps asking, just give him the same answer everytime. NO. he will get this hint.

Do you guys think it would be inappropriate to ask about a discount on something that's been on the closeout rack for over a year? Also take into account that this store's prices are so high, their "closeout" price is what the original retail price was everywhere else.

If it is on the closeout rack, they probably want to move it.

To the above question, I would give him one every once in a while if he's buying alot of stuff or something like last years model but on current good selling product, I'd tell him no. Keep doing a good job on his skates and he is likely to buy stuff from you anyway.

On another note, had a hilarious one happen a couple weeks ago. A kid, probably about six years old, is in with his parents to get some used skates for pond/public skating. So I get him a pair, lace them up, and tell him to stand up and take a walk to see how they feel. Now I've gotten all sorts of responses when I ask people this question but never got this one before. "They feel like high heels". Everyone involved is now confused. Mom asks him how does he know what high heels feel like and if he has been wearing her high heels, jr smiles and says yes. Mom bursts out laughing, I'm doing my best to stifle mine and dad is just upset. I need to get out of this incredibly uncomfortable situation so I ask him if the skates hurt, he says no, I take them off and run to the sharpener. Most disturbing thing I've ever heard in a hockey store hands down.

One more that this reminded me of. I'm working and another employee comes to the front laughing his ass off. Apparently, he goes to size up a little guy for skates. He says hi to the kid and when the kid doesn't say anything back the mom says "what do you say to the man when he says hello to you?". The kid responds with, "Are you my daddy?" Classic!

Question for the more experienced retail folks...

How do you deal with one of your regulars that constantly asks for discounts?

This one guy...comes in once a week for a sharpening, and he will ask me for a discount on something EVERY SINGLE TIME!

I take some of the blame for that, as I made the mistake of giving him a discount once, and now he constantly asks for it. He's a nice guy, but it has come to the point where I dread seeing him walk through the doors, because I know the question is coming.

I went as far as telling him that I can't discount stuff, as I get shit from the owner every time I do so, but that didn't faze him...

What should I do/say to rid me of this rather annoying problem?

Even though you are in Edmonton, I think your guy's brother comes into my shop, too. Actually we are all stuck with one chronic guy who always wants a discount. Some of my answers are:

1. "Sir, if I owned the shop, I would love to give you a discount. But since I do not own the shop, I am not allowed to give out any discounts."

2. "Sir, all the transactions are on a transaction detail report on the computer. The guy who signs my check looks over that report every day. Any discounts show up in red, not black print. Then I lose my job."

3. "Sir, a discount? Ok, now the new price for sharpening is $10 but I'll discount it for you to the regular price of $6." Sooner or later, you have to make a bit of a joke about it with him. My guy does it constantly but it is front of his 6 year old kid who has no idea what's happening. Otherwise, I think it is pretty embarrassing to ask for a discount constantly in front of your teen-age son.

4. There is always the classic JR idea: "Sir, do you ask for a discount at McDonalds?"

The other side of this comes not from the customers but is this one: "Hey, don't the coaches get a discount here?" "Sorry, no."

As for me, I have never asked for a discount in any retail shopping situation. The price is the price. Pay it or go home.

On another note, this happened the other day. I was fitting a little girl for figure skates. When she took off her UGZ boots, her feet smelled like hell. I mean they just reeked like she hadn't washed them in a week. I couldn't say anything, of course. Finally about ten minutes into the fitting, her dad said to her "You know your feet really smell." She thought it was funny and stuck her smelly feet in her father's face. They bought skates but I was glad when those smelly feet had left the shop. The worst ever and I can't even remember the last time.

As for me, I have never asked for a discount in any retail shopping situation. The price is the price. Pay it or go home.

You've never asked for a better price when buying furniture ? Mattresses? Appliances ? TVs ? If that's the truth, you've left a lot of money on the table. And if a discount is available, then the price on the sticker or the sales tag isn't the price.

Never worked a retail hockey shop, but did work retail in college. Customers come in all shapes and sizes, while one may be uncomfortable ever asking for a discount (and maybe even offended if you offer one) another refuses to pay retail and has no problem repeatedly asking for discounts even when always told "No". It's all part of retail sales. Just be polite and say no. If you're not even allowed to give discounts, let him know, but be polite. Even though he annoys you he's still a paying customer and in most situations you're better off with him than without. Let's be honest, with the current economic collapse your sales are probably decreasing while the percentage of customers asking for a discount are increasing... just the way it is.

The only time I ever "haggle" is when I am at antique shows. Then it is expected and part of the deal to ask "What's your best price?" I have bought furniture at antique shows because it has already lasted 100 years! New furniture is junk so I wouldn't shop for it. The last TV I bought was at Costco. No discounts asked for there. Oh, wait a minute, when I bought my trucks, I did not pay sticker price!!

I'm the same way, so that's probably why he irritates me as much as he does. If I don't like the price, it's simple; I don't buy it.

Just tell him politely but firmly, NO. If he keeps asking, just give him the same answer everytime. NO. he will get this hint.

That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't seem to be getting through to him...

I think I'll just have to stick to my guns, until he finally gets it. Like I said, I gave in once (over a year ago) and I haven't done so since.

The other day my reply was something along the lines of "The price you see is the price you get" as I put my head down to finish his skate. I don't think he said much after that.

What REALLY bothers me though is that he tries to be hip about it, by saying 'points' instead of 'percent', as in "Ten points off this?" Drives me friggen nuts. :lol:

What REALLY bothers me though is that he tries to be hip about it, by saying 'points' instead of 'percent', as in "Ten points off this?" Drives me friggen nuts. :lol:

"I can't afford ten percent off of my paycheck."

Asking for a discount is very situation dependent IMHO. If you buying a good amount of things or things that are made to go together, it never hurts. Just don't do it with everything you buy. There is definitely the "I know you price" and "You don't come in here much" price at my LHS. I'm sure it is the same in a lot of places.

In the world of finance/banking;

1 basis point (aka: point) is 1/100th of 1%

10 points = 0.1 %

100 points = 1%

1000 points = 10%

So I say give him his 10 points off...5 cents off a pair of One95s seems fair.

If he's using "points" then he has worked in sales.

10 points = 0.1 %

100 points = 1%

1000 points = 10%

Haha, in retail/sales, it's profit margin.

Completely agree, asking for discounts in a retail situation, especially now is very... absurd. Now, if a discount is offered I'd never turn it down; like the manager of my LHS a few weeks ago forgot to ring up a couple rolls of tape, and just threw them in the bag for free, it's not like I am going to ask for free tape every time I walk in now.

Completely agree, asking for discounts in a retail situation, especially now is very... absurd. Now, if a discount is offered I'd never turn it down; like the manager of my LHS a few weeks ago forgot to ring up a couple rolls of tape, and just threw them in the bag for free, it's not like I am going to ask for free tape every time I walk in now.

Same with DS - I've never asked for a discount in a retail store. When I'm looking to buy something, I know how much I'm going to pay. Not to mention my bargaining skills suck anyway.

Another reply is "Sir, I would love to give you a discount but if I give you one, then I have to give one to everybody." The real bigger problem is that if you do give a discount, the guy walks out of the shop and brags to all his buddies in the hallway that he got a discount. Now you don't have one guy happy but 20 moms and dads pissed off at you for not giving them a discount. Think big picture and ultimate consequences of giving out a discount. It is usually good for the customer and bad for you.

"I'm a hockey player/USA Hockey member, do I get a discount?"

That's the worst one, and that's when I retort with the "I like to eat but I don't get a discount at (local supermarket/McDonalds)

Oddly, I've noticed that as a regular *not* asking for a discount results in more discounts in most high-end retail stores including LHS's. The jerks (whether incessant nickel-and-dimers or just general wankers) never get a break, but for truly good customers (not necessarily big spenders but just decent people) there's always something, whether it's a few bucks off, free alterations or getting tossed a few rolls of tape or a pocket square here and there.

Another reply is "Sir, I would love to give you a discount but if I give you one, then I have to give one to everybody." The real bigger problem is that if you do give a discount, the guy walks out of the shop and brags to all his buddies in the hallway that he got a discount. Now you don't have one guy happy but 20 moms and dads pissed off at you for not giving them a discount. Think big picture and ultimate consequences of giving out a discount. It is usually good for the customer and bad for you.

this is one of the major reasons I don't give discounts. To the ones I know are our die-hard customers I will. They're in each week buying $100-200 worth of stuff and it's worth it. but the guy who plays there for 3 years and has come in twice to buy a jock strap and a Synergy, but is in every other week complaining that we're charging him $2 to cut the stick he bought from HockeyMonkey (while talking about how much cheaper it was)? Sorry buddy.

I'd like to think that with all that money he's saved on buying online he could afford an effin hacksaw.

Oddly, I've noticed that as a regular *not* asking for a discount results in more discounts in most high-end retail stores including LHS's. The jerks (whether incessant nickel-and-dimers or just general wankers) never get a break, but for truly good customers (not necessarily big spenders but just decent people) there's always something, whether it's a few bucks off, free alterations or getting tossed a few rolls of tape or a pocket square here and there.

I don't know about you, but I can't walk into a LHS without being a big spender.

To clarify... a big spender would be somebody who buys a full boat of new goalie gear every year, without fail - say five grand for the sake of argument - plus incidentals; for a player, that would be a full set per year plus being an enormous OPS-whore. A family buying for multiple kids would also qualify. I'm not necessarily talking about being a team buyer or anything.

One can, of course, be a big spender and also an arsehole.

People tend to have a different opinion about being a "big spender" when it's their money. I literally laughed when people would literally say "What can you do for a big spender like me?" When this guy is spending $1,200 at the store(non-hockey shop) where common sales were $2-3,000.

10 points = 0.1 %

100 points = 1%

1000 points = 10%

Hahaha I was going to say the same thing. Are you in banking? I majored in finance in college, but I'm a lawyer now and I may have to go the retail route as well with the way my job search is going.