Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BK

Every man needs a nice watch.

Obviously the reason is because somebody is willing to pay for it. I also agree that if you can get somebody to pay 500 bucks for cotton denim, you should run with it.

Shoes are a different deal though. High quality leather or exotic skins can justify the price of expensive shoes. The quality of a 1000 dollar pair of shoes also comes into the equation. As you have said, today pretty much all watches are accurate, so you are not paying 4k for a hunk of stainless steel, you are paying for a "pretty" well known name.

IWCs higher end watches do feature precious metals and using platnium or titanium and charging 10-20k can possibly be justified.

A good quartz watch with a decent movement will often keep much more accurate time than automatics, but you miss out on a lot of the craftsmanship that goes into a good timepiece.

That's part of what you pay for in a more expensive watch, the craftsmanship and attention to detail, versus the assembly line production of cheap ones.

If you like something enough to spend the money on it - be it a fancy pair of shoes, jeans, watch or skates - more power to you. Enjoy it as much as you can.

I'm going to start rocking my Kellogg's SpongeBob and buck the system.

Pics please. And, could someone photoshop the SpongeBob dial onto a Patek Philippe Gondolo (white gold case/black croc band)? I would totally buy that watch if it existed, and if my mortgage lender magically forgot that I owe them a lot of money.

after having my titanium seiko I don't think I could own another non-titanium watch. It's soo light and very accurate. I love seikos, I need to buy another one because the silver/gold with a blue face doesn't go with everything. And heck, if I can find one for the same price as I found the one I have then it's well worth it.

Shoes are a different deal though. High quality leather or exotic skins can justify the price of expensive shoes. The quality of a 1000 dollar pair of shoes also comes into the equation. As you have said, today pretty much all watches are accurate, so you are not paying 4k for a hunk of stainless steel, you are paying for a "pretty" well known name.

It's the name, and also the craftsmanship. The same type of craft that goes into tanning fine Moroccan leather (I'm sure you've seen the process), and then crafting it into a pair of shoes, is comparable to the watchmaker who puts together a fine automatic watch.

To normal eyes, a $25 pair of black leather cap toes and an $800 pair of black leather cap toes can look very similar, serve the same purpose and probably go unnoticed with the exception of the guy who paid $775 more's wallet. You'll only notice the difference in quality and shoemaking technique if you actually look for it.

Any unskilled laborer working in a factory can put a quartz watch together, but why do we choose to wear an automatic?

But what it comes down to is generally a guy who pays $4k for a wristwatch he probably won't even wear everyday probably owns a lot of other things (most likely including a few other watches) the average person looks at and wonders "Why?"

I suppose you do make some very valid points. I actually was not aware how much work did go into making an automatic watch. I did look into it and it does seem like it is a very dificult and skilled process. I guess that price can be justified (somewhat).

One last thing to add to the already solid posts...try getting any cheap quartz watch to last as long as any IWC. Those things could easily go for 2 generations if not more, their Da Vinci watch (drool) life span is 527 years....its just unreal, you pay 10k for that watch, but 10k over 527 is about 19.25 a day...well worth it in my opinion. Any way you cut it, I would pay what I did for my Rolex again, and I hope my son enjoys it when his time comes.

Zach

One last thing to add to the already solid posts...try getting any cheap quartz watch to last as long as any IWC. Those things could easily go for 2 generations if not more, their Da Vinci watch (drool) life span is 527 years....its just unreal, you pay 10k for that watch, but 10k over 527 is about 19.25 a day...well worth it in my opinion. Any way you cut it, I would pay what I did for my Rolex again, and I hope my son enjoys it when his time comes.

Zach

Please check your math.

Zach

Please check your math.

math seems fine to me. Did you take in account of leap years?

I had some 40's the night before and was posting hung over. Math was never my strong suit...point being...19 bucks a year is a steal.

Zach

If you didn't spend so much money on watches, you could buy good beer.

I don't see a deal involved on anything that will outlive x generations of my family. If a watch became some sort of an heirloom for my family I hope they become extinct soon thereafter.

I just got a Tissot T-Touch for christmas, and do I ever love the thing, titanium band with the carbon backing... it is very stylish, and i just love playing with the dials...

I had some 40's the night before and was posting hung over. Math was never my strong suit...point being...19 bucks a year is a steal.

Zach

If you didn't spend so much money on watches, you could buy good beer.

You cant possibly be saying that a 40 of miller high life for $.79 is a BAD DEAL....I was on my way to get some XX....when I saw the $.79 special....4 forties later I was still under a six pack of XX.

Zach

He's not saying it's a bad deal... he's saying you should drink better beer.

Exactly. I can get goat piss for free, ferment it with along with brake fluid and some raisins, and get stupid(er) drunk, yet it's not quite as satisfying as Two Hearted Ale or some Sam Smith's.