Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BK

Every man needs a nice watch.

An automatic is a self winding watch that runs on its own. Provided you wear it of course. If it sits it's will stop and you wll have to wind and set it again. Automatic watches are also more expensive.

One problem with automatics is that as with other mechanical watches, you are advised to keep them partially wound, but not all automatics have manual winding mechanisms (e.g. my vintage Omega Constellation, not sure about modern automatics), so this can be nearly impossible if you don't wear your watch every day or so. Consequently, I barely every wear this watch since the time is always incorrect when I do want to wear it.

Getting this for christmas from the girl (i think)

jcs_1_b.jpg

It may be gaudy, but heyyyyy wear it with sweatpants to dress it down. Croc strap and 2.6 carrots worth of diamonds. Pretty nice watch.

Carrots?

Getting this for christmas from the girl (i think)

jcs_1_b.jpg

It may be gaudy, but heyyyyy wear it with sweatpants to dress it down. Croc strap and 2.6 carrots worth of diamonds. Pretty nice watch.

Vapor, definitely a flashy and over the top watch, but judging from your past posts on fashion, I wouldn't think you'd be a big fan of Jacob & Co? Not knocking the watch, just wondering your opin.

lol... its butt ugly, I was just kidding, I would never wear something with that little taste. Hey look at me my watch has a lot of diamonds on it, so it must be fashionable...

lol... its butt ugly, I was just kidding, I would never wear something with that little taste. Hey look at me my watch has a lot of diamonds on it, so it must be fashionable...

Sounds about right.

Omega makes some fantastic watches, and they've never going to "go out of style". My Dad has one from the 1960's and it's still classy.

omegaspeedmasterlegendcy1.gif

I get an Omega Speedmaster Legend for my university graduation. I could never spend that much money on a watch for myself though.

An automatic is a self winding watch that runs on its own. Provided you wear it of course. If it sits it's will stop and you wll have to wind and set it again. Automatic watches are also more expensive.

One problem with automatics is that as with other mechanical watches, you are advised to keep them partially wound, but not all automatics have manual winding mechanisms (e.g. my vintage Omega Constellation, not sure about modern automatics), so this can be nearly impossible if you don't wear your watch every day or so. Consequently, I barely every wear this watch since the time is always incorrect when I do want to wear it.

Go pick up a watchwinder and this will solve your problem. I have the one from the sharper image for my Rolex and it keeps it nice and wound.

Zach

Why does every man need a nice watch?

because rolex means money and money means power. don't you remember?

because at some point in time you'll wonder what time it is and classy people go by analog time, not digital. B)

IW371928.jpg

Mmm... IWC Aquatimer... Internal bezel... Someday, if I ever have 4 grand to blow, I'll pick up one of those. Until then, I'm sticking to my black/black/chrome Formula 1.

Ok now I work in the fashion industry and I am a student of it. I know that quality or materials do not always soley dictate the price of merchandise, but why the hell is that watch 4 grand (msrp is actually about 5.5k)? It is stainless steel! There are no precious metals, stones or exotic skins that could possibly drive up the price of the watch.

IWC, while a name in the industry, does not seem like a watchmaker who can charge that much for offering so little (to me at least).

Please tell me why the watch could possibly cost that much.

Ok now I work in the fashion industry and I am a student of it. I know that quality or materials do not always soley dictate the price of merchandise, but why the hell is that watch 4 grand (msrp is actually about 5.5k)? It is stainless steel! There are no precious metals, stones or exotic skins that could possibly drive up the price of the watch.

IWC, while a name in the industry, does not seem like a watchmaker who can charge that much for offering so little (to me at least).

Please tell me why the watch could possibly cost that much.

Because someone is willing to pay that much. If for nothing else, simply to have a watch few other people are willing to pay for/have. For the same reason that people are willing to pay $600+ for a pair of jeans, or $1000 for a pair of shoes. You know there isn't $1000 worth of walking or running in that pair of shoes.

Before the days of quartz and EVERY watch being accurate, certain brands were known for their quality and mechanical quality. IWC has been around a long time and has been one of those brands. If I recall correctly, $4000 is at the low end of their collection There are IWC watches available that cost well over that much, in the $10-20,000 range without diamonds.