Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

Second Skate Update

I really felt on my toes, which was a different feeling. I felt on my heels with my nikes,

Hey Kovey,

How tall are you? You might want to try all 72s for a while to lower your center of gravity. I'm assuming you're doing all your hard turns on the rear wheels. Being on you toes on these is great, cause it will make you more agile and help you skate through the toe like ice skates.

The up-curve of the toe plate, which is probably what you're feeling, matches ice mounts. Keeps the ends of your toes above the balls of your feet a little so you can shift your weight forward to backward more easily, which is what the frames are designed to do.

Each boot manufacturer has a slightly different pitch in it's boot. Some of them feel heelish with the frames, which can sometimes be awkward at first. I'd rather be toward my toes, and I use a slight heel lift insole on some boots to get it.

My RBKs are really neutral, which I like a lot. But I'd rather be on my toes than my heels. Makes me feel like I can get there quicker.

Kovey,

Great boots to settle into.

I have a pair of the new CCM Vector 10s on the way, and I'm dieing to get em.

I put together some spare parts from the new model samples that aren't on pros for testing and I'm mounting them the second I get the new boots.

I dyed my white frames bright red and I'm using black rocker arms. I had enough spares to make two pairs, one with all black rockr arms, and another with red frames and front and rear red rocker arms and black center rockers. Those are cool cause the arch of the design carries from the front rocker through the frame to the back rocker, with the black center rockers sort of vanishing.

I'll get some pics of them on here later, and pics of which ever pair I choose mounted on the new Vectors.

Here's a pic of my size 10.5 Flexlite 10s. As you can see, they're at the limit of the medium frame, but skate fantastically. A lot of our 10.5 players don't want the large frame when it comes out. But they haven't tried it either.

NikeFlexlite10s.jpg

those frams look waaaaaaay too small

But the contact length along the wheels look closer to an ice skate's working radius.

those frams look waaaaaaay too small

Like I said, 10.5 are at the max for a reg medium frame. These are a tad longer than the norm.

And like Iceburg says, it's the length of the contact area that counts. Plus, when you shift your weight with these, you're not going up on one wheel, but moving into the suspension. Like rolling up into the curve of an ice blade.

And, like I said, a most excellent pro player is now using these skates and he's not interested in a longer frame. And he gets all his stuff for free, so it ain't the bucks.

I love these sprung frames!! It makes you feel like your playing ice hockey on a roller rink!

I've often heard that roller hockey is played more on your toes while ice is played more on your heels. With that said, did you have to adjust your skating style much?

I ask because I don't believe I skate on ice as well as inline, so was wondering if there is somewhat of a learning curve.

Two things.

First, Kelly Nash is one of my favorite players in the world and she was one of the very first Sprung skaters. I'm beyond honored to have her on my frames. She is the queen of ice and roller. Sometimes when I'm watching her play I forget to breathe. Add all that to a wonderful person and you've really got something!!

Second, I designed the frame with ice function, as it was explained to me, in mind. The blade's curved so your natural weight shift in turns moves you to the rear portion of the blade. When you accelerate you skate through your toes.

The fact that I'd never been on inlines in my life (nor ice skates for 30 years), when I designed my first prototypes, is the fluke of a lifetime. "Like ice" was one of the most common comments on the prototypes besides "OH WOW!!". I'm totally spoiled, cause I learned to skate on em. I want to get on ice one of these days to see if it's really true!!

I'm looking forward to Iceburg's commets cause he's an ice/roller player, and they make all my work seem justified.

Here's the prototype frames circa 1998! Notice that the pivot axles are just studs and don't go all the way across the frame, so I could put the wheels right next to each other.

AluminumProto.jpg

AluminumProtoB.jpg

So a med. frame will fit up to size 10.5 skates, but will a large frame be too big for my 9.5 tour code 1s? Also will the frames mount properly with the indentions in the bottom of my boots that are designed for the hummer frame?

So a med. frame will fit up to size 10.5 skates, but will a large frame be too big for my 9.5 tour code 1s?  Also will the frames mount properly with the indentions in the bottom of my boots that are designed for the hummer frame?

Your 9.5 Tours use the medium. We've mounted a ton of Tours. No problem with the indention in the Tour sole. They even mount just fine on ice boots, many of which only have a rim of sole for the ice holder to mount on.

Here's the prototype frames circa 1998! Notice that the pivot axles are just studs and don't go all the way across the frame, so I could put the wheels right next to each other.

Also notice that it was a hi-lo.

I'm in the process of mounting the sprung frames (looks to be a medium frame) on my old pair of Mission Team Carbon VSI's, size 9.5D's. I'll try to post a pic at some point.

The thing that I noticed right away was the extra length measuring from front wheel to back wheel.

Also, when sitting next to my my current skate (Team Carbon VSI's with Red Star Alloy frame), the height of the sprung mounted skate is higher. I've yet to skate on them but perhaps my weight (180 lbs) will drop me down to the same height as the other skates because of the suspension.

Sprungster,

when and how can we get a pair. I live down PA and I have yet to see any of these frames in any of the leagues and tourneys i play in (Professional Inline Hockey Association, Narch, Torhs, ect...) I would really like to get a pair to try out, i also told some of my fellow teamates and they seem really interested. Just wondering how i could get a pair.

the height of the sprung mounted skate is higher. 

perhaps my weight (180 lbs) will drop me down to the same height as the other skates because of the suspension.

Yep.

well, frames are on the skates-we used rivits and some graf t- nuts,i skated on them this morning for about 20 minutes ,for now i threw on some old abec7s and some 76mm rink rats,just to get rolling ,saturday night and sunday morning im gonna skate some more, the real test comes sunday night on the ice,and monday night back to roller.i have a feeling im not going back to the graf skates with the sensor chassis.

Hi Guys, new to the board. I skated on these frames a year ago and also thought they were phenominal. All of you who have just got these, are they the newer or older model and did you acquire them through Keith or somewhere else. Thanks.

Another update

Went back to my flexlites just cause i feel more comfortable in them and I have tryouts next week. WOW, they felt terrible. They had no "give" like the sprungs did and I could tell I lost some speed. If only I could get those damn backwards crossovers down with my sprungs I would be set.

Another update

Went back to my flexlites just cause i feel more comfortable in them and I have tryouts next week. WOW, they felt terrible. They had no "give" like the sprungs did and I could tell I lost some speed. If only I could get those damn backwards crossovers down with my sprungs I would be set.

Hey Kovey,

I know that if you can get used to leaning into them so that you're using the rear and front suspension its better. You should be able to almost walk through your crosovers, front and reverse. Try litterally putting your heels down first and roll into the suspension. You can try it with your forward crossovers first to see. Stay on em and you'll get to trust them.

Maybe another skater on Sprungs could post and give you a hint on the reverse skating. It's usually one of the things everybody really likes best about them.

You'll also loose the tighter cutting, quickness, better stopping and overall control. Maybe work on the reverse crossover on your old skates a while and really pay attention to what your doing that's different and then switch and apply it to your Sprungs.

Rigid sucks after these things.

hey kovey,ever hear the saying trust your edge?i went for a good skate this morning with my daughter,i was going thru the motions with the sprung frames,as far as going backwards and backward crossovers ,seemed a little weird at first because of the different boot and frame but when you get focused and go thru your skateing stride and the motions ,no problem at all -i love these frames and cant say enough good things about them,i feel that first step jump in my stride,such quick turns,i cant wait to try these in a game(monday night)against some competition,well sunday morning i will be on the skates for about 2and half hours for practices,sunday night comes the ice game ,that should be interesting.