Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

Iceburg19: Mind posting a pic?

Keith, what's the lifespan of the springs, has any of them ever needed replacing?

We've got a bunch that are well into their second year. I think that new ones after a year would be good. They're cheap enough to do an overhaul every six months if they feel soft. But I really don't think it'd be necessary. The polyurathane is well vented, so it doesn't get overheated.

Some of the players that are on them constantly (and give a shit about their equipment), take their frames apart once a month or so and get the wheel dust out and soak the rockers in fresh water over night. I know that they also clean their bearings and get three times the life out of em.

They're made of a type of Nylon and it can dry out some. The amount of salt involved in roller hockey could pickle a big herring. The parts are more resiliant when there's moisture in the material. Cold and dry or a lot of airconditioning or serious desert can dry them out too.

I've seen them looking like the Dead Sea from sweat drepping down out of the other holes in the boot sole. We've all seen totally oxydized aluminun frames from same.

Overall, they'll hold out better than aluminum.

Cool, thanks.

I'm guessing it's regular tap water they use to soak the rocker arms with?

And are the springs a specially made size, or maybe something you can buy locally.

i will get some pictures real soon,as soon as i find out which one of my kids has the digital camera.plus i dont know how to put up pictures on a computer yet (please no laughing)i have to have one of my kids do that,im learning thu,pretty pathetic right lol.

Cool, thanks.

I'm guessing it's regular tap water they use to soak the rocker arms with?

And are the springs a specially made size, or maybe something you can buy locally.

Regular tapwater unless you live in Brunswick or the Golden Islands on the coast of Georgia where the sulfurous tap water will probably dissolve em. Bottled water in that case!

The springs are totally moulded for the job. They're always available and real inexpensive and are covered in the one year warranty if you ruin them. But seriously we have skates with 500 and more hours on them and the springs are still fine.

Same spring durometer works regardless of your weight. We originally thought we'd do different durometers, but we have superstar 120 lb kids on the same frames and springs as our 250 lb all pros. It's the progressive suspension technology that makes them stiffer the harder you push on them.

Most of the wheel companies will be making springs from their own patented urethane technologies that will be available at shops next year for the new model. I put the holes in the sides of the frames for that reason, so you coluld see the color of the spring and whose version it is.

They all think they can add even more punch and rebound to the springs for even better performance than the superdooperwhamounbelievale stuff they deliver already.

They may even mess with different durometers for different weight groups.

It's a great feeling to generate an entirely new aftermarket product for everybody to generate some bucks and increased performance in the sport.

As I mentioned before, the new white frames take Rit Dye fantastically, so you'll be able to totally perfonalize your frames if you want to. One of our best buds wants to tiedye his.

Flames and camo could be done too. And team colors, etc, etc etc!! The rocker arms on all of the current model are dyed with Rit Dye.

We'll eventually have a section up on the website on dying em. I've been doing it for years, now. There's a picture of dyed frames on our website.

Hey sprung, sounds like you have a hit here....congrats! I have a pair of D2C's I am getting ready to change the original chassis with for an aluminum Mission chassis, but after all the good feedback here regarding your product, I am considering giving your product a try.

Everyone please keep posting your findings...this is good stuff. :D

Keith,

Got the frames (all three boxes of them!) and they actually look and feel even more rugged then I thought. Can't wait to get them mounted up on some boots... There's no way I'll be able to get rivets in these without that wacky inline adapter for my riveter (I'm waiting on the die set, should be here anyday).

JR, you've told me the past that you use standard dies to mount inline frames but were you able to do that with these puppies, even with redrilling new holes? I just don't have enough clearance space for the press.

Keith, when you go retail with these will you be shipping them with bearing spacers? Thats really a must. The other thing that would be cool is if the bolt that holds the swing arms in place had a standard hex head. I guess you could not do that because of the depth required for the recessed hole would mess with the tolerances of the bolt.

Can't wait to get on these frames!

up date--i was on the ice for the first time in 14 days,i would have to say that the sprung frame gave me the same stride i use for ice skateing,the same toe kick for ice was very very close to the toe kick with the sprung frame,the sprung frame gives you grip and wheel edge when pushing.thats a plus.turning was pretty close also,middle wheels -middle edge,i feel these frames close the gap alot,once again the ice and inline surface are different,so your edge is always going to feel different,but as far as my ice skateing style go- i can get a lot closer to a ice skateing feel with the sprung frames then i could with any thing ive tried thus far.i will stick with these frames and feel they will make me a better inline skater and make the ice transition a lot easier. also stopping on the sprung frame feels alittle easier --when im going fast on the sprungs i could get that ice stop,when im skateing slow i still have to do that inline stop,i think you guys know what i mean by that,inline stop.all in all these frames are sick. ps JR what size are the mission skates those are mounted on and what size frame are they?looks cool on the missions.

Tonight I got my first chance to skate on this new frame. There were just a couple of us at the rink so I only skated with my gloves, stick, and a puck. To start off with, I'm putting aside the hype and good reviews I've read thus far and approaching these with a degree of skepticism.

I alternate playing ice and roller during the week so I've been looking forward to trying these. I've gotten fairly used to swapping back and forth but there is always the little subtle differences that I have to adjust to.

The boot I have these mounted on (original VSI team carbons) as my other skates (2nd year VSI team carbons with redstar frame). I used the same type of wheels in a 76mm instead of the high low setup, so any differences that I noticed would have to come from just the frames.

Unfortunately, I can't yet give a full and fair opinion as to how the frame performs compared to my old red star frame because I wasn't playing at top speed under game type conditions, but I did notice immediately that they do make for a tighter turn and I had a greater feel as far as agility goes in pivoting and changing of directions.

To give you a frame of reference: for those that remember the old suregrip frames that allowed you to adjust and rocker the front and back wheels, It felt a lot like that except that there was more stability because all the wheels would be on the floor all the time going into and out of the turns. I used to love the way I could turn sharp on that rocker system but I had to give the rocker up and go back to the straight inline because there wasn't enough power being generated into speed.

This frame seems to give the best of both worlds. I skated some circles for testing purposes. After a few times around I would come out of the turns fairly hard to test my acceleration and it felt really smooth, stable and responsive.

I also tried some backward crossovers because I remembered another poster saying they had difficulties with this their first time trying the frames. It did feel a little different but to me it didn't seem anything unusual, but then again, to be fair, I wasn't going full speed. Regardless, I really don't think it would have made a difference.

Well, that's all I've got for now. So far, so good. I'm really pleased and optomisitic with the new frames and am looking forward to some full speed skating and stops. If they perform anything like what I've seen already, I'll be putting these on my next new boot.

I haven't skated on a rink yet. I did slap them on and skated a few laps around the lobby. I'd love to go outdoor but I don't exactly have the wheels for it. Might hit up a drop-in and see what happens but I'm scared I'd embarrass myself because I have not played inline since playing CRHL in 2001.

I haven't skated on a rink yet. I did slap them on and skated a few laps around the lobby. I'd love to go outdoor but I don't exactly have the wheels for it. Might hit up a drop-in and see what happens but I'm scared I'd embarrass myself because I have not played inline since playing CRHL in 2001.

I say do it, JR!

As an update to you and Sprungster, I'm still working on my boots for the chassis. I hope to get back to you both by early next week with a more clear response and with a semi-solid to solid time frame involved. But I am going to do it. Looks like I'm hitting up an Inline tourney in Hong Kong in November. Anyone wanna hook up with us?

my friends giving me some of his old wiked lights sprungster.

how could i get a hold of one of these frames?

i mean, i bet youd like to know how the best skate EVER will work with these frames.

i played my first game in the sprungs last night .i love these frames- man i dont know what else to say,back to ice hockey thursday night -i guess the transition is going to be alright,i have to get some pictures up.i think im gonna put a pair on my graf 705s.

i bet those would be pretty sweet on some graf's.....too bad massachusetts doesn't believe in roller hockey.

I wish there was more roller here. If you know of anywhere, let me know because I'd really like to get into roller.

greechbc9,check out statewarshockey.com and check out the state of Massachusetts, (Tewksbury,Mass) the sports world center-travel team the rink rat bombers.im sure with a little research you could find some inline .good luck.

i skate anywhere i can find time. i've skated in tewksbury, and i'm currently skating out of holbrook. tewks is nice, they have a league there sun/wed. nights...i hear the wed. crowd is pretty good. holbrook isn't bad, it's small though, it's almost smaller than morristown (if anyone has ever skated in NJ, they know that's pretty small.) holbrook has a league on monday nights. i used to drive down to CT, to play in glastonbury on friday nights...but gas prices don't make that trip easy anymore.