Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey gear exagerations

Dont you guys find the hype around hockey gear and players over exagerated.. I mean look at the bauer one90's thats all the topics you see now days and everything... everyone is gear whored.. like ppl have 3 pairs of 800$ skate and like 15 sticks, 10 pairs of elbow pads dont you find this over exagerated or is it just me.

Dont you guys find the hype around hockey gear and players over exagerated.. I mean look at the bauer one90's thats all the topics you see now days and everything... everyone is gear whored.. like ppl have 3 pairs of 800$ skate and like 15 sticks, 10 pairs of elbow pads dont you find this over exagerated or is it just me.

its just you

maybe the 15 elbow pads are a little overrated

but you can never have enough sticks

All the gear whores are on MSH. In the 4 rink building I work in, we have less than 10 dedicated gear whores among 500+ players. Last week we tried to name them all and there were not many. Most players here play and worry very little about new "hyped" equipment. This is metro NYC area so players come from all over.

I don't give a damn if people want's to buy 15 sticks, talk about one90's and stuff. I don't see what the problem is. If I can buy stuff that I want, I don't think that should be a problem for other people.

As long as they don't buy so much gear that they end up living in a van down by the river, I don't see a problem either ;)

allright matt foley, i think its time for you to shut your YAPPER!!!

lol Chris Farley rocked

Dont you guys find the hype around hockey gear and players over exagerated..  I mean look at the bauer one90's thats all the topics you see now days and everything... everyone is gear whored.. like ppl have 3 pairs of 800$ skate and like 15 sticks,  10 pairs of elbow pads dont you find this over exagerated or is it just me.

This is a lot of guys' passion, especially when you go to a site like this where it is the only one of it's kind. If you went to a classic car website do you think guys would be talking about their minivans or their classic cars in their garage or the ones they want?

All the gear whores are on MSH. In the 4 rink building I work in, we have less than 10 dedicated gear whores among 500+ players. Last week we tried to name them all and there were not many. Most players here play and worry very little about new "hyped" equipment. This is metro NYC area so players come from all over.

Im guessing my uncles name came up?

Like Chadd said, it's only annoying when people try and brag. I'm a stick whore, but that's okay because they're all going to end up broken or useless anyway.

like ppl have 3 pairs of 800$ skate and like 15 sticks

If you find me one pair of skates worth $800 Id like to take a look!

And if someones rich enough to buy 3.

And I think the hype about one90's is because its Bauers first step outside the Vapor models

It's only annoying when they feel they constantly need to brag about it.

agreed! The only thread where its ok is "show off your gear" :D

im a stick whore but i rarely pay full price for a stick, i either get older models on close out or off here or ebay. i dont go looking for the "lastest and greatest either" ill wait till its a bit older and get it when it goes on sale if it catchs my eye.

well my lhs store the synergy 1500c are 759.99+tax the 9K pumps are a bit cheaper 729.95+tax the one90's are a bit more expensive then the 1500's 789.95+tax we have a small store and they make alot of profit

like ppl have 3 pairs of 800$ skate and like 15 sticks

If you find me one pair of skates worth $800 Id like to take a look!

And if someones rich enough to buy 3.

And I think the hype about one90's is because its Bauers first step outside the Vapor models

I think he was talking Cdn prices.

It's only annoying when they feel they constantly need to brag about it.

I'd add people who think it'll make them significantly better as well, to the annoyaning list.

Im guessing my uncles name came up?

Nah, the Big Bulldog usually buys from Sports Section. He is in tight with Dave so I don't feed his gear jones. He is still looking for another Easton aluminum shaft circa 1980 from Brad Park.

I hardly ever pay full price for anything, which would be my reason for being a gear whore. Sure I could buy just one stick, one pair of gloves, skates, etc and save the rest of my money, but then it would end up just being spent at the local convience store who overcharges and makes up prices on everything. So why not buy something I could use for a year or two or more.

The new technology is just that...new. It is there for anyone to buy and no one is forcing you to own it. I agree that it is annoying when someone buys it and never shuts up about it (especially if they are a mediocre player at best who will never get the performance benefit from their purchase). Some people will never realize that you can't buy a game, that the only way to get better is to work at the basic skills no matter what the equipment. The one thing that really bothers me is when you have a parent spending $250 and an hour getting little Johnny a stick and then turning around and spending $50 and 5 minutes selecting a helmet and mask. I guess if you have the hands you don't need the head.

The only gear whores I know personally are the dudes that work in hockey shops. The only thing most guys on my team are worried about is if they can get their skates sharpened or if they can replace a broken stick with something similar. Most of us use the most broken in garbage we're legally allowed to wear.

I admit I'm a stick whore, but I break sticks often, so I suppose it works out. It's also nearly impossible to find a Drury near me, so when I see them, I gotta buy a couple at a time.

I'm a skate Whore, just luv em, I think it's the most important part of your equipment, everything else, I can't change...

I can tell you what every NHL player wears for skates, is that a desease?

i love getting new equipment, lol

i have new shins, shoulders,bag, 2 new sticks, skates, elbow,cage and gloves for this season, i really needed only new shoulder pads.

i love getting new stuff and as long as we can afford it its not like its a bad thing or makes me a bad person.

I'm a skate Whore, just luv em, I think it's the most important part of your equipment, everything else, I can't change...

I can tell you what every NHL player wears for skates, is that a desease?

Sounds like a challenge DJ. You up for it?

How many NHL players wear 9K pumps? I'm curious to see who decides the extra weight is worth it.

Who gives a shit what other people do?  As long as they aren't pricks, live and let live.

Exactly.

Everybody has something they like to spend money on.. their cars, computers, collectibles, food, beer... whatever you like to spend your money on. Its your money, if you want to spend it on hockey gear, then more power to them.

I personally LOVE to buy gear. I know my limits though and rarely buy gear. The only time I "splurge" is when I see a good deal. For instance, I just won 4 shafts on ebay for $35. I wanted to find an xn10 redlite for cheap and also was on the hunt for a new shaft for my wife (who is a beginner). I got this and 2 other shafts for $35 total. I now have 8 sticks between me and my wife. I see nothing wrong with it either.