Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Garpenlov

How did you settle on a Blade Pattern?

Alright, I know it sounds like a dumb questions, but seriously,... I'm trying to avoid the trial by error method, so I got to wondering how other people picked blade patterns.

Did you pick your blade pattern to improve on a weakness you had, like say, rising shots or puckhandling? or did you pick a blade pattern to build on something you already did well?

Just curious, thanks.

Alright, I know it sounds like a dumb questions, but seriously,... I'm trying to avoid the trial by error method, so I got to wondering how other people picked blade patterns.

Did you pick your blade pattern to improve on a weakness you had, like say, rising shots or puckhandling? or did you pick a blade pattern to build on something you already did well?

Just curious, thanks.

I wanted something a little more open than my coffey curve. I wasn't having any problems per say, but I just wanted to try something new. I am also playing D now so my coffey curve didnt cut it. i switched to a lindstrom curve. Difference is like night and day. I just had to get used to the curve. I was winging them over the crossbar for a week.

I didn't want much curve but wanted enough shovel to get a puck up in-close as fast as possible.

Those were my sentiments, exactly. My other criteria was making deflections more accurate. That was how I ended up with what is essentially a Drury (YP) with a square toe.

I was using a Sakic curve that was too open and had too much hook for me. After sailing the puck over the crossbar too many times I decided I needed to try something else. I ended up with a Modano/Forsberg. It fixed the issue I was having.

Even when I used patterns that I liked I always experimented just to see if I couldn't find something that would work better for me. You'll never know if you have the right curve without trying a bunch of different curves.

Because I play centre I wanted a modest curve so I would have lots of forehand and backhand options. That's why I use Modano/Forsberg.

I am loving the Roberts Inno and Roberts F4 curves! Really long blade, such a big sweet spot. I just wish there was more long, low lie blades availible?

I was always a Linden, Modano fan and I wasn't getting what I wanted so I switched to a pro return Pronger blade and even though I loved the curve the lie was too high because I'm 5'9" and he's 6'whatever.

I work for a sports store who deals w/ Easton and saw the Heatley curve + lie and fell in love with it, its a little more curve than the Modano but not too much more, I took a curve + lie that I liked and adapted to it.

Paul

I used to go for the biggest hook I could find, then I developed a shot .

Trial and error put me with a modano curve.

For some crazy reason I wasn't satisfied so I started to experiment again, and went right back to my Modano after using the curve in one session where I was simply putting the puck right where I wanted it every time. I don't play with anything else now.

I would definitely go with the "look for weaknesses in your current pattern and look to fix them" idea. It'll make things a whole lot easier and cheaper if you experiment with wood blades, or with teammates'sticks. The nice thing about wood is that you can change the curve to whatever you want to get a feel for what a different curve might be like. The RBK 1K blade is also inexpensive and very easy to heat and curve. It's also more durable than a wood blade, and will take the heat a bit better.

as a winger, i usually stick to wristers, and backhanders, with the odd slapshot. i figured i wanted a nice mid curve, and went with the naslund/sakic. tried modano, love the backhand with that thing, hated the gagne. every time i try a new curve, i just end up going back to the naslund.

trail and error... now essentially what i use is the lidstrom curve... whatever older wood blades I had, I tweeked them a little so that they are like lidstrom curve as well... I think I tweeked the last one too much though, cause all my slappers are sailing way over the bar now...

I like the curve a lot, and even though the curve is pretty open, i can still get decent backhand, and can roof the puck from the top of the goalie crease...

I had been off the ice for over a year when I went to my local LHS for some new wood blades…ended up on a whim buying a Crosby. (Heel curve slight open toe)

Was skating warm-up and threw the puck at the net not really thinking about my shooting form or anything…but when it went top shelf far corner I was hooked.

Before that I typically used a Sakic or a Cole pattern.

I try out team mates and/or buddies sticks to see if that particular curve works for me. I for one cannot use a heel curve. I've always used mid curves and have always gone back to it.

Haven't settled totally settled yet for whatever reason but I have a Kovalchuk, Jokinen, Kovalev and Naslund ready for this season. I've used everything from a Modano to a Lidstrom and have been able to adapt to them all, for better or worse.

Being an Oldtimer, I prefer a fairly gentle mid curve that can do all of the shots: forehand, backhand, passing low, snaps and wrists well (my slapshot wouldn't break a pane of glass). I prefer the Modano/Forsberg, Lindros, Sakic, and Recchi patterns because they are all pretty similar. I tried a Lidstrom once and shot the puck over the glass twice while standing at the top of the crease. I also bounced a puck of the back of my centreman's head trying to feather a pass to him. He was not impressed. I also think you have to like the way it looks to you when it is on the ice and you are looking down at it.

i'll probably never settle. i just switched from the sakic to the smyth this past week. pretty happy with it so far. the lie is much better for me. i use the yzerman for outdoor though because the blades are cheap & i don't mind tearing them up.

so far in the last 3 months i've been through: coffey, sakic, foresberg, shanahan yzerman, thorton, messier, & now smyth.

I was a Modo/Forsberg guy but after a while i really hated the fact, that i couldnt shovel and lift up the puck that well. So i tried the drury (actually via coinkidink) and loved it.

I found stickhandling with shanahan really easy, slap shot also, but maybe i just adapted myself to the long use.

I switched back to Modano to try a teammate stick and i found Modano curve so short; i was thinking "hey they cut this blade in half!", i mean once you are addicted to Shanahan other curves seems so short :lol:

i went from a modo to what i use now which is the jokenin/the new gagne on bauer sticks, the closest thing to that is the tucker on tps