Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blueliner27

Weird Superstition

I always try and puckhandle as much as possible, as fast as possible. My whole mentallity is to get all the screw ups out of my system in warm ups, I am actually trying to go as fast as possible and screw it up on purpose.

Also need to get a guy to pass with me, whilst moving around using one timers, back hand etc.

If we win a game then I bring the same beer to the next game. If we lose the beer changes. I wear the "C", bringing beer is my job!

Always left to right with gear.

Any blemishes to tape job requires that it be redone. Also always tape stick before I leave so I don't get the team mooching tape from me. And there can't be anything on my fresh white tape (ex dog hair which likes to find its way there)

Newly taped stick can't touch anything until the game.

Before the game, whoever I'm starting with on a line or my d partner, i got give them a tap on the helmet with my stick (but not the blade since it hasn't touched the ice yet).

mouthguard stays in cuff of glove during warmups, then put it in right before we start, accompanied by a quick squirt of water.

have to pack my bag the same way before i leave (ex: skates on one specific side that has team logo so I can show off the logo and not have a skate digging in to my back.

When walking in to the rink, I keep my #1 stick in between me and my backup.

No straps (helmet, elbow, shins, etc) can be twisted. Velcro on straps always has to come to an equal place on both right and left side to make sure I feel balanced.

Right before we take the ice, I have to hold my helmet in front of me a certain way, and i count the number of second equal to the number I'm wearing (I wear either 7 or 13)

Like others have said, dump, shoot for posts, under armour I wear depends on upcoming game and how i have played recently.

Last year during a tournament showcase, I at a medium size sandwich at Quiznoes before the game and played decent. Well if medium = decent, then either small or large = awesome. tried large, played a horrid game. Then got a small on the third day of the showcase, got a small and played well.

Looking at all of these is a reason to consult a psychologist, especially since I have accumulated these in 8 years of hockey (I'm 15).

I ALWAYS shoot to miss for the first 5-10 shots in warm-ups. I dont know why honestly, i noticed once unintentionally i a few warmup shots and played a great game, we lost 6-5 but i scored all our goals, now i do it all the time, seems to work. I think. Also, i always eat a small fry from macdonalds on the way up to the game.

i just have a routine pretty much that is followed, i eat pasta two hours before every game, i show to the game 45 min before warmies, tape my stick before every game usually in black unless im in a slump, girdle first then skates then shins then my shell. next its elbows then shouldies, after every period i take off my upper stuff and take a pee during every intermission

I stickhandle for 15 minutes before games and drop a load before that. Lastly, My skates before breezers, and socks before shinnies. First shot in warmups misses high

Lol, just always make sure my right skate is closest to me in my bag so i grab it first. Like to do half my gear and then tape sticks. Oh, and I always pee right before going on the ice lol. Used to drop the puck between my legs, pick it up lacrosse style and shoot it on net in warm up. If i couldn't do that, it was a bad game. Now I'm kind of over that.

^^^^ Two up.. the insanely long one I didnt want to quote

And people think I have problems

Umm yeah that is just crazy. Can you say OCD ! :lol:

Didn't want to start a new thread for this question, but I have a chance to see the Stanley Cup, in person, for the first time. Is it bad luck if you see it, touch it and get photographed with it if it isn't "your team" that has won it? Or is this just for the actual nhl players on another team?

Didn't want to start a new thread for this question, but I have a chance to see the Stanley Cup, in person, for the first time. Is it bad luck if you see it, touch it and get photographed with it if it isn't "your team" that has won it? Or is this just for the actual nhl players on another team?

The superstition is, if you touch it, and your team didn't win it, you never will.

I didn't know it was a superstition. I thought it was just a custom; guys figuring they wouldn't touch it if they hadn't earned it.

Depends how you look at it. I have a picture in my phone of me holding the Cup. I haven't won the Cup since then -- or before, actually -- but I've had a great life in the ensuing years.....

The superstition is, if you touch it, and your team didn't win it, you never will.

Damn. I know if I see it up close, that I'll want to touch it and possibly cuddle with it.

I finally realized a superstition that I've been doing the past...2 years now...and never had it hit me until recently.

I take two sticks, water bottle, small towel, and sock tape roll to the bench for every game. Since I only have two (gloved) hands I will slide the tape roll down the stick that will be my back-up that night. It HAS to be the back-up stick for that game. It can never be on the stick I will be playing with otherwise I can't use that stick. My head will tell me there is something wrong with that stick and I won't be comfortable with it. Things like it feels to long, or to short, or to heavy, or I can't feel the puck. Doesn't matter if I accidently put it on my primary stick or not. Whatever stick the tape roll gets put on is the stick that will become the back-up for that game.

And that was only for NHL players, though it seems more and more fans consider themselves part of the team

And that was only for NHL players, though it seems more and more fans consider themselves part of the team

Dean Lombardi is a longtime friend of one of my coworkers. I had the opportunity to bring my 4 year old to meet him and get some pics with the cup. When we went to take the picture, Dean instructed my son to "put your hand on the cup and smile". My son looked at me, somewhat confused, As I had told him before we went not to touch it and why. I quickly pushed his little hand down and we took the picture. Dean looked at me kind of confused, and I explained that he was only 4 and I didn't want to jinx his carrer before it even begins. He laughed and said he gets that a lot.

Dean Lombardi is a longtime friend of one of my coworkers. I had the opportunity to bring my 4 year old to meet him and get some pics with the cup. When we went to take the picture, Dean instructed my son to "put your hand on the cup and smile". My son looked at me, somewhat confused, As I had told him before we went not to touch it and why. I quickly pushed his little hand down and we took the picture. Dean looked at me kind of confused, and I explained that he was only 4 and I didn't want to jinx his carrer before it even begins. He laughed and said he gets that a lot.

you ruined your sos career!!! :mad: :mad:

LOL, only kidding!

For me it is putting my gear on the same order every time.

And the worse the warm up, the better the game :)

Very funny. I have two girls and when Boston won the cup it was brought to Oregon. I let each of them touch it because they may never see it again. I also touched it because I am one of the believers that the, not touching of the cup, superstition only applies to those active, or potential NHL, players who have not won it yet. Which is why allowing the LA Kings black aces players to raise the cup was so astonishing to me.