Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ljbaron

Cell phones

You know of no ipod problems? An extended service plan is pretty much required when you buy it, chances are your battery will die at some point. My grirlfriend's scroll wheel also went about two weeks after she got hers, my screen went two months after I got mine.

A friend of mine is currently on her fifth ipod. To apple's credit, they are very good with replacement.

I hate forgeting sarcasm tags. The batteries are not made by apple, any lithium polymer battery will naturally wear down over time, it is the nature of the type of battery. Do not blame Apple for this.

You know of no ipod problems? An extended service plan is pretty much required when you buy it, chances are your battery will die at some point. My grirlfriend's scroll wheel also went about two weeks after she got hers, my screen went two months after I got mine.

A friend of mine is currently on her fifth ipod. To apple's credit, they are very good with replacement.

I hate forgeting sarcasm tags. The batteries are not made by apple, any lithium polymer battery will naturally wear down over time, it is the nature of the type of battery. Do not blame Apple for this.

Isn't it fair to blame Apple for making them so the average consumer can't replace the battery without sending it back to Apple?

That is what you must sacrifice for a slimmer profile. The ipod would be much thicker if it had a user replacable battery.

That is what you must sacrifice for a slimmer profile. The ipod would be much thicker if it had a user replacable battery.

And there you have it. It's ok to sacrifice functionality and ease of repair for a more aesthetic form factor.

And there you have it. It's ok to sacrifice functionality and ease of repair for a more aesthetic form factor.

It does not sacrifice functionality at all. It has the same or better lifespan as replacable batteries. Sex sells my friend, it looks better without a removable back, and the thinner the better. Do you really want a carton of cigarettes in your pocket?

Add my ipods to the list of stuff.

-1st one I had was a 2rd gen. No big problems.

-2nd one was a brand new 3rd gen. Had to rma it for being dead out of the box. Compusa refused to return it saying I had to go through apple

-3rd one was a replacement, and was refurbished (screw that.. I just paid $300 for a new ipod and I was going to get a NEW one). I stopped payment on my CC and returned the refurb to compusa.

-4th was from bestbuy. 3rd generation. After 4 months of use I had to get the hard drive replaced because I was getting a folder error.

-5th was an ipod video as a christmas gift. I had to keep resetting it because it would freeze on boot. I sold it on ebay for parts not even 6 months later.

-6th is a christmas present from my wife (Zune was out of stock). Worked fine until lately, I have to do a hard reset to get it to turn on.

Bad history? Yea, I would say so.

(edit for readability)

ADDED: I had a 512mb 1st gen shuffle.. no issues at all with that one.

So who's to blame for when the ipod goes out of warranty, and it costs almost the same to repair as it does to just buy a new one?

So who's to blame for when the ipod goes out of warranty, and it costs almost the same to repair as it does to just buy a new one?

Most of the time Apple will let you buy the extended warranty for products even after the date as they let my brother do that for his. I have had 2 iPods. First generation mini and the new Video. Never had a problem other than the battery for the mini because I didn't charge it properly all the time.

My brother has had 2 ipods 1st generation and the 4th. No problems for him. I think it sucks for those that have tons of problems but that is bound to happen with any electronics. As for the iPods and Apple products I have never had any problems verse the Creative and other MP3 players I had that consistantly stunk.

Well I'd agree that it's not at all a good reason to base what you buy an mp3 on, but from the few I've tried I like the iPod over anyone else. The batteries are the (knock on wood) only issue I've really had, but some others have horror stories here. I'm still a fan of the Sony minidisc though, but can't even find that crap anymore.

I've still got a bunch. What are you needing?

You still have the players? I can't find the damn Sports models anymore.

No sports model, just a lightly used MZ-R70

It costs about 60 bucks. That is 1/5 of the price (of the ipod w/ video). If you are a more advanced user it is possible to buy the battery for about 20 bucks and do the install yourself.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery/

http://www.ipodbatterydepot.com/index.asp?...FQMLVAod8SQQxA#

Guy at the Apple store told me $220 for a battery(that i didnt need) and to fix the drive. I laughed in his face. He said $220 to fix or they'd buy it back from me for like $30, if i remember correctly. I told him i rather smash it on the floor.

Most of the time Apple will let you buy the extended warranty for products even after the date as they let my brother do that for his.

So im supposed to give even more money to a company that cant even give me an ipod that lasts over a few months after spending $350 on it? I think not.

I think it sucks for those that have tons of problems but that is bound to happen with any electronics. As for the iPods and Apple products I have never had any problems verse the Creative and other MP3 players I had that consistantly stunk.

It really is misleading to say that the ipods have a lot of problems. Of course they do, as most electronics do. Problems are bound to happen. If you look at it via percentages (the only accurate way to look at it) Apple has had some of the best ratings in terms of customer satisfaction and fewest service issues (I had a source, but I cannot find it at the moment). When you have more than 80% of the market you are bound to have a larger volume of user issues.

I have an iPod Photo 30gb that I got in 2005 and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

As for the iPhone, I want to get one, but I am going to get a 24" iMac first when Leopard ships :)

I think I will get my iPhone with my Christmas bonus in December.

It does not sacrifice functionality at all. It has the same or better lifespan as replacable batteries. Sex sells my friend, it looks better without a removable back, and the thinner the better. Do you really want a carton of cigarettes in your pocket?

after having my ipod stolen this past summer, i didnt have enough cash for a new ipod, but needed an mp3 player ASAP. I bought the creative zen microphoto, and i prefer it to my ipod. Battery is incredible, syncs with windows media player, looks nice, good sound, and has a replaceable battery. It isnt even that big compared tot eh 3rd gen ipod i had.

back to cell phones though, I am in need of a cell phone and was searching online. I saw the major 3 (verizon, t mobile, cingular) all had like 39.95$ per month plans, but i dont think i need 400 minutes a month. Anything in say the 19.99 range you guys know of or perhaps how does a pay as you go phone work?

The Iphone is sealed. You CANNOT replace battery or SIM card.

Keeps getting better and better :rolleyes:

From the keynote:

iphone2iv4.jpg

I just placed a few bids for a Cingular 8125. Any reviews? Any Problems? Hoping everything works out if I just switch my sim card.

I use to own one. The keyboard is fantastic. The phone is pretty bulky, but on the internet it is great. Texting is also a breeze. Windows Mobile on the other hand...

The 8125 is my main phone right now. One of my jobs supplies me with it....Im on my second one now, as the first touch screen eventually didnt like me touching it (reminds me of my prom date). It is pretty bulky though, going out to the clubs with it is useless because its so big, but whatever, I have to be connected to the rest of the world.

On another note:

I recently attempted to have my old old cingular razor unlocked (very first generation of razors, when there was only silver) and they (cell-unlock) could not do it. I was pissed, I just want something small for when I go out that I dont have to use a hip holster for, or make it like I have a brick in my pocket. Any suggestions? I dont want to drop very much money, and I just want to pop my cingular sim in it and go on nights.....any suggestions?

Zach

Surely a job that would require and provide an 8125 should at least compensate you enough that you could go out and get another phone of your own, right? I have a Treo from/for work that I never take when i'm away from work and stick with an old Blackberry 7130.

Mack

Im on call alot and dont want to carry around 2 cell phones, but when Im out and about at night (during the day is a different story) I dont really need the capabilities the 8125 has and would love to shed the size of it....yay for the IT world....

Zach