Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

The problem is going to be getting in line when the BB inventory goes back. Have to time it just right.

you won't have to get in line. BB is pulling them off the shelves, HP will sell them online.

it is a great tablet - I've had it for 50 days, no problems and no regrets.

you won't have to get in line. BB is pulling them off the shelves, HP will sell them online.

it is a great tablet - I've had it for 50 days, no problems and no regrets.

I mean when HP puts them online. They will be gone in minutes, just like when they put them on clearance today.

Id like to pick one up for my brother when they come back around hopefully, but not disappointed if i dont get one. Apparently people were lined up at stores here. One of the local walmarts refused to sell them at that price for a while (manager said to wait, even tho they were advertised in store at the sale price). 20+ sold within 3 hours there. a couple people bought 3 or 4.

however,

I did get an Asus EEEpad about 2 weeks ago. I really love it.

I've seen reports of people buying the entire stock of certain stores. I've also heard of a few places where employees took them off the shelves until friends and family could come in and buy them all.

I went and got one at Walmart at midnight last night after I saw news of the price drop. I intended to buy it and hold it until the drop was official in their store, but I told the manager, who found the story, gave me the lowered price, and then I assume honored the price after that for anyone else after that.

I haven't messed with it much, but I prefer WebOS to any of the other mobile OS thus far, and I've used all of them (HATE iOS, like Android). I really wanted a Pre originally, but the crappy hardware drove me away. The only minor things that bother me are the boot up time (from being off completely, not sleep/standby), some of the stuttering in effects due to the limited HW acceleration in the OS, which could be corrected in time if they continue working on it, and the poor App catalog. At the very least, I have a solid HW base to install Android on whenever someone manages to port it if HP doesn't follow through on continued development.

Chadd, I've also heard that if you fight through the server crashes on the Small Business HP site, people have been able to nab a few units that way, but that avenue may be exhausted as well by now.

Geoff - overclock it.

My TouchPad runs at a stable 1.7GHz, speed is great as well as battery life. Unfortunately, we've been waiting for hw acceleration for 2 yrs now :( PM for details on how to overclock it, or just buy this app - https://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=org.preware.docs

I don't know if the Android port is going to happen. The guys trying to port it are using the source code in an illegal manner, and since Palm (note I didn't call it HP) is still working on webOS, they will shut them down.

I am hoping Newegg honors the price adjustment. That, and I need 2.2 for my Veer (left Sprint for AT&T once I realized I was not using my phone for anything data-related once I got the TouchPad) so that I can get Touch-To-Share and SMS forwarding onto my TouchPad.

Chadd, I've also heard that if you fight through the server crashes on the Small Business HP site, people have been able to nab a few units that way, but that avenue may be exhausted as well by now.

A few of us did that in chat tonight. It took over an hour but I do have an order number and an estimated ship date of Tuesday.

I probably will overclock it in time. I just want to get acquainted with the OS and also make sure that I have a solid unit first.

With regard to the Android port, I think the plan is to build it from scratch like CyanogenMod using the Android source code since the hardware is pretty standard stuff, so they likely will just be wiping the units completely and throwing stock Android on there. The only grey area is that of the boot loader. Personally, I probably wouldn't switch even if they get it working. I like the way WebOS multitasks way better than Android.

Glad you and others were able to get a confirmation, Chadd. I thought about ordering a second one this morning, but I couldn't find a good reason to except to be an ass who would sell it on eBay for a markup.

Yeah, I've been following what they plan on doing.

I don't get the fascination with Android; putting a non-tablet optimized Android at that. I think webOS is the best tablet OS out there.

Thanks for that. For anyone who follows the iPhone closely, is holding out for the 5 a necessity? I was thinking of getting the 4, but if the 5 is going to be drastically different than the 4, I'd hold out.

I've been following the rumors fairly closely, but I'm still not sure whether I'll upgrade to the 5. The consensus seems to be that the 5 won't have 4G capability -- I believe due to the common response from Apple about being "worried about battery life" -- so the question will be when will it come available. If it's going to be two years before they have 4G, then I'll upgrade to 5; but if will come out next July, then I'll hold off to updating until then, because the truth is the iPhone has held up quite well. I'm closing in on three years on my 3GS and it really isn't slowing down much, so it's likely I'd keep the 4G version for three to four years.

I don't listen to Apple rumors, they are almost always wrong. Until you get a couple rumors that all agree with each other they are all made up bunk. I should know i have created a few of them back in the day! :ph34r:

The iOS 5 upgrade was very limited with its new features. Hopefully they upgrade the actual hardware more. The 4G battery problem was why the iphone 4 didn't have 4G. If they don't include it in this version they are making a huge mistake.

They're getting out of making mobile hardware, and spinning off PCs. The software will move forward...

unless someone leases it for mobile hardware from HP or outright buys webOS from HP for mobile hardware it's a dead OS for tablets and phones and instead will be used for other web embedded solutions

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2011/08/22/webos-dead-hp-executive.htm

I've been trying to get my hands on a hp touchpad since it went to 99$. Supported or not 99$ is a steal for that hardware. Android is already being put on them, its only a matter of time before a decent version like honeycomb will be ported.

People will buy the iphone 5 no matter whats inside of it, it could be single core 512 ram and no 4g and people will still buy it because its the new iphone. And assume its the best on the market.

Not at all? Why would it?

Jobs has run that company and been most or the driving force in what goes on at Apples for a long time. With someone else behind the wheel will it change the course that they have so safly sailed without much inovation or will they stall/scrap the iPhone 5 due to lack of new changes and focus on making a new product that is groud breaking. Jobs has played it safe for years. I would like to see some stuff shaken up at Apple.

Jobs has run that company and been most or the driving force in what goes on at Apples for a long time. With someone else behind the wheel will it change the course that they have so safly sailed without much inovation or will they stall/scrap the iPhone 5 due to lack of new changes and focus on making a new product that is groud breaking. Jobs has played it safe for years. I would like to see some stuff shaken up at Apple.

I do not think you are very familiar with Apple.

Why do you think that?

I'm not sure how I would respond to that question without then having to debate/ignore you, so, I will just recommend researching Apple.