Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

I do not think you are very familiar with Apple.

They faltered badly when he was out of the picture last time.

Well good thing he isn't out of the picture now, he is chairman of the board. Plus Apple wasn't doing that great when he was let go in 1985.

Yea that was BECAUSE of Steve Jobs...Either way, only time will tell what happens next, there will be changes either for good or for bad

Lots of news on the Bionic launching 9/8/11 for sure. Can't wait! Looks to be my next phone but all the news of the new Samsung Prime is making me want to wait to see whats up with that phone first.

Well, sent back the Asus Eeepad. Just rolling with the HP Touchpad.

I am blown away.

2 things i prefered about the Eeepad tho: resolution, and widgets.

Everything else, webOS has won me over. Went on vacation and didnt bring it with me, now i miss it. For functionality and ease of use, it's exactly what I want it to be. being that i do not care for apple, and have no plans for ever owning an i(anything) ever again; a webOS device is now (and hopefully will be in the future), something I will definitely look at.

I still love android, and LOVE my Droid X. so we'll just have to see where everything stands next summer when I'm eligible for a phone upgrade.

Sometimes it just hurts to admit when someone's right about something tho... :dry: lol

:wub:

Well, sent back the Asus Eeepad. Just rolling with the HP Touchpad.

I am blown away.

2 things i prefered about the Eeepad tho: resolution, and widgets.

Everything else, webOS has won me over. Went on vacation and didnt bring it with me, now i miss it. For functionality and ease of use, it's exactly what I want it to be. being that i do not care for apple, and have no plans for ever owning an i(anything) ever again; a webOS device is now (and hopefully will be in the future), something I will definitely look at.

I still love android, and LOVE my Droid X. so we'll just have to see where everything stands next summer when I'm eligible for a phone upgrade.

Sometimes it just hurts to admit when someone's right about something tho... :dry: lol

9/8/11 has been confirmed. I plan on buying the Bionic, while the Prime seems promising I cant wait anymore been able to upgrade for 2 months.

Ive had an upgrade for a year now lol, but I think the Prime will really be all that and the bag of chips. No soft or hard keys, full HD screen, dual core and as unlocked and vanilla as it gets. Droooollllll

Returned my HTC Thunder Bolt and picked up the Droid Bionic yesterday AM. Got up at 5:30 AM to be there by 6. Got there and the next person did not show up till 7 AM. By the time the store opened at only 4 people were there. I guess I thought it would be bigger. LOL. I am very please so far. can't wait to get more use this weekend.

For those of you with Metro PCS - The LG Esteem is being launched tomorrow 9/27.

• 4G LTE connectivity

• 1 GHz Snapdragon™ processor

• Android platform 2.3 Gingerbread

• 4.3” capacitive touchscreen

• Rear-facing 5 megapixel camera with flash

• Front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera for video chat

• 720p HD video with HDMI support

• Dolby Mobile multichannel audio

• 8GB internal memory (external memory support up to 32GB

Okay...I'm a little late to the Smartphone party...I've got one of those flip up QWERTY keyboard phones...but I can get a Samsung Galaxy S for nothing from Bell. Anyone have anything good (or bad) to say about that phone.

And, don't suggest anything higher end or 4G...my plan is to upgrade without any money out of pocket...so my choices are limited. I don't need the newest and most state of the art...just tired of the phone I currently have. It's been dropped a couple times and some of the keyboard sticks...

The other free options right now are:

LG Optimus Quantum & Chic

Blackberry Curve

iPhone 3GS

Okay...I'm a little late to the Smartphone party...I've got one of those flip up QWERTY keyboard phones...but I can get a Samsung Galaxy S for nothing from Bell. Anyone have anything good (or bad) to say about that phone.

And, don't suggest anything higher end or 4G...my plan is to upgrade without any money out of pocket...so my choices are limited. I don't need the newest and most state of the art...just tired of the phone I currently have. It's been dropped a couple times and some of the keyboard sticks...

The other free options right now are:

LG Optimus Quantum & Chic

Blackberry Curve

iPhone 3GS

I'd go for the Samsung Galaxy S. I have the Samsung Galaxy Gio (picked it up cheap and then unlocked it to use on a PAYGO plan) which is basically a downspeced version of that phone and am very happy with it. The screen is nice, it's responsive and there are a tonne of free Android apps. Beyond texting and phone calls, I use it to read ebooks on the go, listen to music and when I'm near Wifi to check email, surf the web and use other apps (it can also play videos, but I haven't used it for that yet). I've been very happy with the performance after using it for over a month now. It's way better for surfing the net than the old Nokia E71 Qwerty phone it replaces. The Galaxy S is faster, has a bigger screen and also runs Andriod.

Now, if you don't want to get locked into another contract with Bell then you could consider buying the Gio - Bell sells it as a PAYGO phone and it's been on sale for as low as $74 at places like Best Buy and Futureshop recently(I got mine at Zellers for $69.99, but it's now $149 there.) - you could just put your existing Bell sim in the phone and you'd be good to go. I also added a larger MicroSD card to mine so I could load more music ect. Now the Galaxy S is a high end Android and the Galaxy Gio is low-mid range, but it's a good phone for the price. There are a few threads on Redflagdeals about this phone.

The LG Optimus Quantum is a Windows 7 phone with a pull out keyboard (it's a heavier phone due to that pull out keyboard). From what I've read Windows 7 is very stable, however; there are far less apps. Plus, that phone is currently selling at Walmarts as a prepaid Bell phone with no contract for $78 (there's a big thread on Redflagdeals about this phone)...that doesn't mean it's a bad phone, but you wouldn't be getting the best bargain if you go with that. I haven't seen the Galaxy S without a contract for anything near that price. If you don't want to get locked into a contract then this would be another option if you can find it at your local Walmart.

The Samsung is more powerful and has a bigger screen that the iPhone 3GS. Some of the apps that you have to pay for with Apple you can get for free with Android. From the reviews I've read music also sounds better with the Samsung Galaxy phones. Here's a comparison of the Galaxy S and the 3GS: http://gadgetechtoya...g-galaxy-s.html. Keep in mind the comparison is from 2010 so some operating system ugrades have come out since then and would help with some of the issues mentioned. I'm sure you can find some more recent reviews - I just noticed that comparison after a quick google search and thought it'd be useful since it includes 2 of your options.

If your primarily use the phone to text and write emails you could consider the curve, but it won't be nearly as good for surfing the web, I don't believe ebooks work with that and it has way less apps than both the Samsung and iPhone. You can also find the blackberry without a contract for much cheaper than you'd be able to find the Samsung Galaxy S.

My personal opinion is grab the Samsung Galaxy S if you don't mind signing a contract, but if you want to be contract free then get a prepaid Galaxy Gio or LG Optimus Quantum and insert your existing SIM card.

That's a lot of info to go through....very informative. I'm leaning heavily towards the Galaxy S...even though it means a new contract with the Evil Empire. But, by all accounts every TeleCom Co. is the same....and I'm not about to pay them to get out of my contract...so this is my best bet.

Thanks.

Yeah, it depends on what your needs are and where you're located. I know you're in Hamilton so I don't think cheaper unlimited providers like Wind and Mobilicity are an option - if you were in Toronto I'd tell you to grab a phone with them because their monthly prices are way cheaper. The other options outside of the GTA would be pay as you go and if you're a frequent cell user that probably won't be best either.

If you're fine with another contract with the evil empire you may want to consider this Galaxy S II offer (unless that's the one Bell is already offering for free, but you said Galaxy S so I assume you meant the original): http://www.bestbuy.c...a0fc3e5aec6en02

You can get the Galaxy S II, which is a faster upgraded version of the original Galaxy S, for only $24.99 through Best Buy on a 3 year Bell contract. That deal is good until this Thursday. If your contract is already up you should just be able to grab this deal with your current number since it sounds like you're already with Bell. With the Galaxy II you'd get double the internal memory (16GB vs 8GB), a faster processor, a slightly bigger screen, a higher res camera ect. vs the original Galaxy S - the original is good and I think the best choice among the phones you listed, but for only $25 you can get the new one with the upgrades if you jump on the Best Buy deal.

Went and got the new phone tday...pretty sweet. But, I have a qquestion...in teh Android MArket...I cant' find the TSN App. WHen I search for TSN or TSN Mobile...the only thing that looks even remotely sports related is teh TElus CFL App! TSN does have an Android App, right?

As team50 said, use the Score app - some user reviews say it's better than the ESPN and TSN apps. I have it installed on my phone and it does the job, but I've never used the TSN app so I can't compare it to that. Which phone did you go with Radio? I assume either the Galaxy S or Galaxy S II since it's an Android phone.

Yeah...Galaxy S. The screen on this thing is awesome! Getting used to having a phone that does stuff! LOL

I've used the TSN App on my iPod Touch...I prefer it to Score/Sportsnet...but I guess I'll have to go with them for now.

Finally got around to rooting my droid 3. It's actually a fairly easy process with osx once you figure out what you need to do with terminal.

Anyone get around the wireless tether restrictions on recent android phones? There's nothing you can even freeze on the droid 3 without messing everything else up so I need to do the RadioCom thing. How long has verizon been doing this to phones? I had the OG before this so I never new this was an issue