Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

JR I'm not sure if this is an option but if a webOS phone comes out on another carrier why not look into purchasing an unlocked version?

Because unlocked (GSM) would be AT&T or T-Mobile (only EDGE data) ...Sprint is CDMA and won't activate it (even though the Pre3 is a world phone that would run on Sprint's bands.)

Because unlocked (GSM) would be AT&T or T-Mobile (only EDGE data) ...Sprint is CDMA and won't activate it (even though the Pre3 is a world phone that would run on Sprint's bands.)

I understand now, I didn't know Sprint was CDMA.

Was it the official release that bricked it? If so, shouldn't they have been liable? My friend has an X (been trying to get him to root it for months now) and he loves it. Apparently the new Blur is really nice (not that ill ever use it). How is the Charge? Ive always been a bit nervous when it comes to Samsung because they are the slowest manufacturer to update android. I still got the OG running strong, but i'll finally swap it out when the Bionic comes out in August.

Sorry for the late reply, haven't really ben active on MSH lately. The OTA update bricked my phone, I wasn't rooted or anything. Tried SBF back to 2.3.340 multiple times, still got nothing. My Mom's Droid X still hasn't even received the update yet. They were liable for the X, but I had an upgrade next month anyway, so I just used this as an opportunity to get a new phone now, being I don't expect anything new to be released in the next month. Swapped my upgrade for my grandparents' upgrade that they'll never use, and went on my way with my Charge.

So far the Charge has been great. I never thought there was much of a difference between the 4G and 3G, but man, there definitely is. This thing flies. The battery life isn't the greatest, but that was to be expected. I bought the charge dock when I got the phone and that comes with an extra battery, so that works. Weird thing is, I was in the same boat as you, wary about Samsung updating Android...but since I've had the phone (6/1/11), I've received two updates already. They're just bug fixers, but still...two updates in two weeks is pretty stellar coming from Samsung. Anything is better than LG, I guess.

OK- decision time...

I decided just to buy a cheap featurephone here in Manila, as I'm with Sprint back in the U.S...if I bought an unlocked smartphone here is it an issue to take it to a U.S. carrier and get service for it?

Only on AT&T, and depending on the bands, T-Mobile.

Both of those carriers are GSM, and while you'll receive phone calls on either, but the data runs on different bands. For instance, you can use an iPhone on T-Mobile, but you will get 2g EDGE data only instead of 3G.

If you had a Sprint worldphone (CDMA/GSM) then you could use the same phone anywhere by putting a SIM card in.

Only on AT&T, and depending on the bands, T-Mobile.

Both of those carriers are GSM, and while you'll receive phone calls on either, but the data runs on different bands. For instance, you can use an iPhone on T-Mobile, but you will get 2g EDGE data only instead of 3G.

If you had a Sprint worldphone (CDMA/GSM) then you could use the same phone anywhere by putting a SIM card in.

I'm not too keen on Sprint's offerings of world phones. I'd much rather stay with Android, which makes this whole thing a different animal...

Any problems with HTC phones? I'm going to steal my wife's upgrade and she can have mine in the fall.

I had the HTC Inspire for 2 weeks then ditched it and went back to the iphone. I've been flipping between the 2 os. Im stuck with At&t and their Android OS offerings are pretty bad as of now. The main reason I ditched the Inspire was for me to get the phone through a whole day, I had to turn literally everything off on the phone and dim the backlight as low as possible and just keep it in my pocket at work and even that would drain it 30-40 percent in a 8-10 hour work day. On weekends with a fair amount of usage I would be plugging it back in the charger at least twice.

I had an Droind Inc when they first launched but could not make it through a work day with out a recharge. I heard its better now. I ditched it for the Droid X and could not be happier. I second the waiting for the Bionic. Im picking one up as soon as they launch.

They're saying the Samsung Galaxy S II will be even better than the Bionic, as soon as they release it stateside...which they would be insane to do without 4G.

Are there any rooting programs you recommend for Android platform? I am not familiar with rooting.

I had to do it the hard way before there were programs for it, so im not familiar with them but I'm sure someone is.

theres all kinds of them for all different phones. A lot of them are 'one-touch root' applications. available to download and run easily. I did recently with my droid X, currently running LibertyRom.

Just realized the latest update for the OG droid broke root on my phone. Any advice on what to do?

First off, don't update your phone through verizon or Motorola. Use custom ROM's built from the newest updates instead like CyanogenMOD 7.0 for example. But like other have said z4root is a good way to go I've heard the name tossed around elsewhere with good remarks. or go into recovery mode and flash back to an older build if you saved it.