Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

My 32GB is due tomorrow. Honestly though, people are freaking out about this. Its a phone, not a pot of gold. I've been waiting 2 weeks, one more day isn't gonna kill me.

Looking at 3g cases, and ive cut it down to a Switcheasy rebel serpent and an Incase slider, now i like the serpent cause how it looks and the fact that you get 2 screen protectors with which are apparently really good and i really like the incase slider because its sleek and less bulky.

Anyone got any input? or is there any another cases like the two i mentioned?

Cheers

I dont understand why people need screen protectors. You would have to go jogging with the phone in the same pocket as your keys and $3 in change before anything but your greasy hands affected the screen. Nothing I've done to my phone's screen couldnt be fixed with a wipe from my tshirt, lint free camera lens cloth at the worst. Just my two cents. :shrug:

For a case I would recommend the Speck Candyshell. It is a soft silicone case on the inside to avoid scratching the phone and a hard/flexible plastic on the outside to help cushion the blow of any drops or falls the phone may take. I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and love it!

On another note...I just got my 3GS!!! I'm doing a massive sync right now to get all my apps/music/video on the new phone and then I will be going back to sleep. I only got two hours of sleep because I drove 2.5 hours to go play in a roller hockey game with one of my friends last night...

I dont understand why people need screen protectors. You would have to go jogging with the phone in the same pocket as your keys and $3 in change before anything but your greasy hands affected the screen. Nothing I've done to my phone's screen couldnt be fixed with a wipe from my tshirt, lint free camera lens cloth at the worst. Just my two cents. :shrug:

On my first iPhone 3g I had the invisable shield on for a few months, soon as I took it off I got a big scratch on the screeen, probably coincidence but Im not taking the risk, scratchs on screen of electronics really really annoy me, like a pet peev.

Had to send someone to pick up my 32gb as I'm at work. Can't wait to get home and use it - this blackberry i've been using since my 1st gen iphone broke has been killing me!

AT&T + Apple = epic fail in processing my upgrade... I can't even begin to explain how bad they messed up. I ended up losing my cellular #, having 2 iPhone 3GS and oddly enough only paying $199 for it... I obviously had to bring 1 handset back.

Has anyone gotten an iPhone without a data plan? I know you need one to get the phone from the store, but have you later downgraded or bought black market on a simpler plan? Can you disable all Edge/2G/3G connectivity so it's just WiFi and GSM?

I'm curious since I'm still under contract with a recent upgrade, but I just killed my iPod video that was several years old and I'm debating on a new Touch, but if I can just get the phone from someone dumping a 3G for the S for less and have one less thing in my pocket I might as well look into it. Wasn't viable before since I don't want to spend the extra couple hundred a year for the bigger plan.

All the places I am where I want to get on my phone are wifi spots anyway; home, campus, bars, etc.

Edit; I've been researching a bit and it seems it's easy in Canada, but in the US with AT&T they try and jack you to get the data fees, apparently they can tell if you're using the iPhone?

Edit 2; lots more insomnia-driven research. Apparently Apple/AT&T thought of just about every contingency and decided to make it damned hard to not let anyone who isn't paying damn near $1200 for service annually and didn't buy the phone at retail to get the fancy sim to enjoy using their product. Not only would I need to buy a phone that was already activated, jailbreak it, disable edge and 3g, somehow get a special iPhone sim for my number (or not with jailbreak?), but then I would also have to pray that AT&T doesn't do a network pushed update in which the IMEI is reported and flagged as an iPhone, which no one seems to know if that's done over edge or gsm. And, of course, I wouldn't be able to use the phone with itunes since it requires an active contract.

Screw them. So what is happening to all these 2G and 3G phones that are being discarded after upgrading to the next, newest, gotta-have, sheeple phone?

It's a bitch, but just wait till AT&T loses its exclusivity.

That's your best bet if you can wait a year. The only reason I have an iPhone is because I'm on my parents family plan and I'm not about to go pay for my own service at this point in time, even if AT&T is the devil!

As much as AT&T pisses me off, it's the only real national carrier up here and with my work discount our family plan knocks it down to ~$100/month. I'll ride this contract out and see how the new BlackBerrys will be holding up.

Yeah, my whole family is on the same plan, saves us for texting costs paying a smaller fee and sharing 1500 minutes between the 5 of us. Yeah, we're real talkers.

My brother has the iPhone, two of the guys I live with, and I just really like some of the features and interface. Once I found out there was a viable shot timer app that I could use at the range I was sold. Oh well, fuck that.

But they would have to make a CDMA phone, which I don't see them doing. The talk is that they will make a light version of the iPhone for CDMA networks.

Been meaning to take a look at the pre. I'm half thinking about selling both my iphones and getting something different.

Pre's better anyways :)

I love it... until I saw my brother's. I wasn't there to witness the actual "fall", but all I could think of is whenever they throw something on the ground in an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and it explodes... haha

Pre's better anyways :)

I'd love to get one for a long term review but from the little time I've delt with one I still like the iPhone better. The only thing I wish the iPhone could do is multi task because I can't listen to my Internet radio and play a game or text at the same time.

I had to switch to AT&T and the iPhone was the logical choice for me, despite my dislike for Apple and utter hatred of iTunes... So, I picked up an iPhone 3GS since I couldn't wait for a new Palm or Blackberry option(I wanted a finger touch screen, full internet browser and a large screen without Windows mobile).

Anyway;

*Who here in MSH has an iPhone?

*What cases have you used and liked?

*What apps/games are you guys using non-stop?

* I Do

* Haven't really found a case I really like. I tried one i found on ebay, made it too bulky..so currently sans case. Holding up Very well actually.

* SO many decent ones.. Been playing the hell out of Scrabble lately, Facebook/Twitter aps fosho!, ebay, aol radio, pandora, Accuweather, Shazzam, ESPN Scorecenter, Texts From Last Night (TFLN), Photobucket if that's your hosting site, Yellowpages, Superpages, and Whitepages are always handy, and trackerlite for tracking your hockey gear packages ;). OH, Almost forgot..the best for last.. HockeyGPS Takes your GPS, and tells you all the hockey related businesses nearby. (or near a certain city)

PhantomSkinz.

Screw having a case - I feel it takes away from the form factor of the phone. I tried slapping a case on my Pre and I instantly took it off and returned it.