Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

I'm hoping to convince the fam to go in on one of the cheaper ones for my birthday next month...it'd be real nice to have the GPS and internet on the go. Plus I've gone through FOUR Motorola Razr's in the last three years and I'm sure mine will break soon.

My buddy just got a Japanese iFone off eBay. cheap, but works,

Big selling point: dual sim, but just feels weird. :P

I'll stay with my 3G, no need to upgrade yet, but have seen the 3.0 beta. Very nice.

If I wasn't able to upgrade at the subsidized price, I'd agree there's not a huge reason to upgrade from 3G, particularly with the software update due in a week or so. Faster internet and maps would be great, a video camera would be cool, and I'd definitely like to have 32GB, but I wouldn't pay $500 in general for that.

However, even though it will essentially cost $400 to qualify, I'll be able to get the $299 price by having the Big D come over from T-Mobile and give her my current phone. When my Blackberry was stolen in November, I couldn't afford to pay three cancellation fees, plus the cost of the 3G. What really pissed me off is I had bought the cheapest cellphone for my mother to use maybe twice a month, yet it still was going to cost $200 to cancel it, so those two have stayed with T-Mobile while I switched to AT&T.

Not that I want to eat the $400, but we're doing a bit better now and will also save about $20 a month over the next thirteen months, compared to having plans with two carriers. Although I have learned my lesson and will only get my mother a pay-as-you-go phone!

So, all that said, I'm looking forward to the new features of the 3G S.....

So far Spotlight's the one thing I'm liking the most on 3.0. Keyboard input seems to be better now, too.

Did you get an early seed of 3.0? Any info on how to get it so I can play around with it?

I haven't been following it that much since my 1G is about to die on me. Ordered a 32g black one that should arrive on the 19th.

Got the update from a buddy but it's popping up on at least one or two sites. Better than having to pay $10 for it and having to wait forever on Itunes like last year.

This might have been touched on already, and if it has then I apologize, but would I be able to unlock an iPhone for use on the Sprint network? I use the instinct now, but would LOVE to grab an iPhone without paying the cancellation. I would also love to keep my phone plan, as it is all inclusive for $99. Thanks.

This might have been touched on already, and if it has then I apologize, but would I be able to unlock an iPhone for use on the Sprint network? I use the instinct now, but would LOVE to grab an iPhone without paying the cancellation. I would also love to keep my phone plan, as it is all inclusive for $99. Thanks.

Nope.

The iPhone cannot work on CDMA networks meaning no Verizon/Sprint.

Yeah, you're "stuck" with the Pre. :)

I finally figured out my email situation with it, it wasn't the Pre, it was Gmail - I tried IMAP on the phone but I had Gmail as POP on their server. Everything's working fine now and I can't complain at all about the phone.

For the keyboard naysayers - I'm sure there'll be an app for a virtual keyboard soon. The SDK hasn't been released to all yet, and from the sounds of it you won't have a situation like Apple/AT&T's walled garden.

What were you expecting that it didn't live up to?

It doesn't run any faster then 2.2.1 and everything else (copy/paste, landscape keyboard, etc.) is available by Jailbreak. Voice memo is also decent, but I find it to be low on volume. AT&T hasnt enabled MMS/Tethering yet, though.

Its not a big enough update/upgrade to make me want to switch back from using my BB Bold...

whered u get it?

Dev Account.

What were you expecting that it didn't live up to?

It doesn't run any faster then 2.2.1 and everything else (copy/paste, landscape keyboard, etc.) is available by Jailbreak. Voice memo is also decent, but I find it to be low on volume. AT&T hasnt enabled MMS/Tethering yet, though.

Its not a big enough update/upgrade to make me want to switch back from using my BB Bold...

whered u get it?

Dev Account.

Well its only faster on the 3gS because it has twice the speed and more ram. They also said tethering and mms are a few months away. So every complaint they addressed ....

Well its only faster on the 3gS because it has twice the speed and more ram. They also said tethering and mms are a few months away. So every complaint they addressed ....

3.0 is supposed to improve speed and response on the 3G, aswell. All the screens shown during the WWDC were the 3G iPhone, not the new 3Gs.

3.0 is supposed to improve speed and response on the 3G, aswell. All the screens shown during the WWDC were the 3G iPhone, not the new 3Gs.

I thought it was the 3Gs ... impossible tell to tell unless they showed the back of the phone as its the same casing. Maybe the officially released version will be different?

I cant upgrade from my 3G to the 3G till December...and I still have not decided if i am going to do it or not. I am excited for 3.0 though...Copy/Paste, Landscape keyboard in everything, turn by turn, MMS...but AT&T REALLY dropped the ball not having some of this stuff ready...and if anyone watched the actual keynote, I think you can see Apple was kind of annoyed by it as well.

I cant upgrade from my 3G to the 3G till December...and I still have not decided if i am going to do it or not. I am excited for 3.0 though...Copy/Paste, Landscape keyboard in everything, turn by turn, MMS...but AT&T REALLY dropped the ball not having some of this stuff ready...and if anyone watched the actual keynote, I think you can see Apple was kind of annoyed by it as well.

I agree on 2 separate slides they said basically this will be ready for everyone BUT AT&T. It was funny.

I agree on 2 separate slides they said basically this will be ready for everyone BUT AT&T. It was funny.

it was funny when everyone boo'ed.

seriously ATT can eat it.

But its still a Beta version...Not offically released yet.

K, where is this update? It's not on itunes, it's not on apple.com...where do I get it?

Update: Just got off the phone with 'Laurel' from iphone support..who sounded Hella Cute btw..said just keep checking throughout the day on your itunes (check for update) button. It'll be sometime today..no specific time.