Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hapamatt122

NFL Thread

g men going to pull off the upset?

I hope so, they are looking pretty good here now, there defense really has to step it up here in the fourth quarter

Tony Homo is not as good a QB as he's made out to be. You guys think Roethlisberger is overrated, but Romo is so much worse.

If by handing you mean completely getting outplayed in the fourth quarter because Romo doesn't handle pressure well, then yes, they handed it to them.

If anything the Giants three consecutive three and outs were them handing the game to the Cowboys, which Romo pissed away.

I place most of the blame on the coaching staff of the cowboys. It seemed to me like they made absolutely no adjustments to the offense during halftime. They came out and tried to run the same plays that had stopped working towards the end of the first half over and over again, even though it was not working. It also did not seem as though any significant adjustments were made on defense either. but in the end the D did it's job. The offense did not.

A good share of the blame goes to Romo. Throwing it away in a situation with nobody near you is dumb. not throwing it away on two occasions when yuo are out of the pocket and in the grasp is just retarded.

His offensive line did him no favors either. They flat let him down on quite a few plays.

So...who ya got?

NYG @ GB -7

SD @ NE -14

Personally I think GB -7 is flat out stealing. You're telling me it's Eli and Tom Coughlin in Lambeau for the NFC Championship and they are only getting a TD? Eli is going to win three straight road games to get to the SuperBowl? Please. Not gonna happen. You saw what happened to the Seattle pass rush at Lambeau, same thing is gonna happen here and to top it off the Giants secondary is even worse than the Seahawks', and Ryan Grant won't fumble the ball twice this week either. Please please please let the Giants fans and the Cowboys fans who think the Giants are good bet this line down half a point.

In the AFC it's a tough pick to make right now without knowing the injury situations for the Bolts...line opened last night at 15.5 and I thought hard about jumping on SD but realized I'd kill myself if I was heavily invested in Billy Volek and Norv Turner against Tom Brady and Bill Belichek, I don't care what the line is.

Billy Volek scares me more than Phil Rivers, mainly because the Patriots don't seem to do well against unexpected players. It seems they do so much film study that they know how to stop the other team, but when a backup comes off the bench, the Patriots sometimes can get gashed.

The best thing the Chargers can do is play coy for the week.

Billy Volek scares me more than Phil Rivers, mainly because the Patriots don't seem to do well against unexpected players. It seems they do so much film study that they know how to stop the other team, but when a backup comes off the bench, the Patriots sometimes can get gashed.

The best thing the Chargers can do is play coy for the week.

The Patriots can sometimes get gashed anyways, doesn't matter who is playing, did you see what David Garrard did to them? That was gross. Their defense really is not a very good unit, they just are lucky to have the greatest offense in league history on the other side of the ball, so invariably the other team will be down by 10+ points at some point and the Pats can stop worrying about the run. Then it's game over.

Really for SD to have a chance they need to get at least one special teams/defensive TD and a couple lucky turnovers like they got against Indy. They aren't going to straight up stop that offense, but I do think their O line can blow the Pats off the ball a bit, so if they get up 14-0 through some miracle and can start pounding the ball, who knows?

I'm taking both Giants +7 and SD +14.

I don't think San Diego will win, but they'll cover, and I think the Giants win.

Giants secondary is suspect and the Packers biggest strength is their QB. I take the Packers. On the other side, I won't vote against potential history.

Im saying the Giants will take it against the Packers if there defense can control Farve, and the New England and San Diego i think will be a close game but im saying the Chargers are going to win.

Pack v. Pats

I really have no problem with the Pats going 19-0 (I'm a Bills fan) but if ANYONE is going to beat them...I want to see Bret Favre do it. I think it is wild that after all those great Favre/Aikman games in the 90's...Troy is in the booth CALLING Favre in the NFC Championship game...and he's probably coming back next year...

Pack v. Pats

I really have no problem with the Pats going 19-0 (I'm a Bills fan) but if ANYONE is going to beat them...I want to see Bret Favre do it. I think it is wild that after all those great Favre/Aikman games in the 90's...Troy is in the booth CALLING Favre in the NFC Championship game...and he's probably coming back next year...

Well, you have to remember Favre had about five years where he was more bad than good for his team. For some reason this has been ignored in 07 because of the team he has around him. He was pretty much useless in big games since the 6 interception game against the Rams.

I really don't see any possible way of the pats losing to the chargers. I mean 38-14 earlier in the year, i know it was after spygate week but still, i really dont see anyway the pats lose here.As for the pack giants, the giants wont want snow so they can actually have their pass rush and if they get to favre he is an int machine

The Patriots can sometimes get gashed anyways, doesn't matter who is playing, did you see what David Garrard did to them? That was gross. Their defense really is not a very good unit, they just are lucky to have the greatest offense in league history on the other side of the ball, so invariably the other team will be down by 10+ points at some point and the Pats can stop worrying about the run. Then it's game over.

That's a bit of a misconception. The Pats were fourth in points against (10 behind Indy) and they faced the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th (Jaguars in playoffs), 8th and 9th highest scoring teams. Some games were so well in hand that most of the starters were sitting when a couple of late touchdowns were scored (Miami had 21 points in the 4th quarter, one of which was an interception return off Cassell, but the score was 42-7 going into the 4th).

Belichick's M.O. has always been to shut down the other team's top offensive weapon and challenge that team to beat them with their second best weapon. In the case of the Jaguars, the Pats shut down the second best running game (as they had done to the league's best with Pittsburgh), and challenged Garrard to beat them. I think many people were expecting Garrard to give a repeat performance of his first playoff game (9 of 21, 2 picks), but the truth is he played great.

I'd estimate that only one time -- Willis MaGahee with the Ravens -- have the Pats been unable to shut down the other team's top weapon. Along with Garrard and Eli Manning's performances, I think that illustrates one deficiency of the Pats'd defense -- their linebackers are comparatively slow. Short-to-intermediate passes to the middle of the field can be open. and Garrard took advantage of that. This is also compounded by the loss of Colvin, because Belichick won't put the young guys in, so the four veterans had noticeably tired by the end of the season.

The last thing to be considered is the Pats have essentially been playing playoff games in all but two (Buffalo/Miami) of their last eight games. The intensity of the opposing teams has been palpable, while the play calling has been hard to predict, because teams have been so intent on stopping the streak. An example was the Giants play-faking and throwing a 52-yard bomb on the second play of the game, although there have a number of plays which have been unusually aggressive.

All that said, when the Pats needed a stop this season in their close games, it's been rare that they were scored upon.

Can the Giants do it again today?

They have to pressure Favre, they should have watched tape of the Cowboys/Packers game, Favre looked like his most recent seasons in that game.