Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JGraz15

McAmmond Injured

So there is a difference between a really hard hit, and a hit where you are 'going for the knockout'?

Whenever I hit somebody it was as hard as I could, I never thought 'hey, I'll hit this guy at about 75% power, don't want to knock him out'.

Exactly, I'm sure he was trying to lay a hard hit, I doubt he was like "Yeah, I'm going to give this guy a possible career ending cocusion."

As for leaving his feet, he did jump, but not as high as everyone is elaberating. The only reason he went supermaning into the boards was because of his speed, McAmmond being bent over and the follow through of the hit. It's not like he jumped a foot into the air or anything like that.

It doesn't matter how high he jumped, the fact of the matter is that he DID jump. He took 4 strides before jumping and laying the elbow into Dean's face, which is definitely intent to injure in my book. Believe it or not, some scumbags do think to themselves, "I want to put one of these guys away for the rest of the year," which is definitely different than, "I want to hit this guy hard,". I've been a victim of enough cheapshots to know what one looks like, and this is one for sure.

I think he hardly Jumped into him like people are saying and that it was just a bad situation all together. I will say it was a bad hit and I in no way promote hits to the head or intent to injure. He didnt leave his feet until contact and there was NO way his hit was any later than the scott stevens special. The guy was just trying to make his mark in the league and it went wrong and will probably cost him, but the only reason this hit is even debatable is because he hit an injury prone jacknob

I just watched the slow motion clip posted to make sure of this, and you guys are out of your minds if you think he didn't leave his feet until contact. I realize that on real hard, CLEAN hits, a guy will come off his feet AFTER he makes contact with a player, but watch the slowed down version and its very clear that Downie was taking off from the foul line for the dunk before he ever touched McAmmond.

I don't see how there's any debate over the fact that Downie is a dirty player, and more importantly appears to lack redeeming personal virtues, and that hit was a gross attempt to decapitate another player.

On another note...man oh man, I've got to agree with Chippa's opinion. McGrattan's comments remind me so much of Brad May's after the Moore hit on Naslund. Every hockey fan on Earth knows what happened next, and for the sake of McGrattan continuing to play hockey, he best make sure that he keeps the vengeance in check.

It doesn't matter how high he jumped, the fact of the matter is that he DID jump. He took 4 strides before jumping and laying the elbow into Dean's face, which is definitely intent to injure in my book. Believe it or not, some scumbags do think to themselves, "I want to put one of these guys away for the rest of the year," which is definitely different than, "I want to hit this guy hard,". I've been a victim of enough cheapshots to know what one looks like, and this is one for sure.

What about all the charging call that go uncalled in the middle of games that don't get called? I see so many people leave their feet in game and they go uncalled.

What about all the charging call that go uncalled in the middle of games that don't get called? I see so many people leave their feet in game and they go uncalled.

So? It should be a penalty. Just because the ref doesn't call it sometimes doesn't mean it's not penalty-worthy. Refs do make mistakes, you know.

EDIT: Grammar nazism strikes again.

If the police don't catch a murderer, it doesn't mean he didn't commit a crime. A very drastic analogy, but you get the point.

Most of those don't get called because the player receiving the hit is usually in a position to protect himself. Is it still a penalty? Technically, yes. But jumping into a guy waiting to get hit along the boards and leaping at a guy's head while going full-tilt are two different things.

So? It should be a penalty. Just because the ref doesn't call it sometimes doesn't mean it's not penalty-worthy. Refs do make mistakes, you know.

That what I'm saying though, the ref's make mistakes but then those mistakes can lead to larger and more dramatic things.

Important: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOAxYWeQWxE

Watch this, listen to how mnay games people gets for things they do, then rethink about how mnay games Downie should get.

Good, now that we have brought the referee into the discussion, I have a question for those who think the hit was legitimate: If you are the ref, are you calling Downie for a penalty, any penalty? Or, based on what I have read, according to some here, the hit was legitimate and does not even call for a two minute minor.

Once again you are all acting like he took a 10ft leap toward him before he hit. It was all speed, I do belive that it was a dirty hit I will say that much, but saying he was aiming for a direct head shot and TRYING to injure him is just stupid. He is trying to make a name for himself and the whole thing went wrong, nothing more than that.

Are you trying to say that, in order for you to hit someone while moving at a high rate of speed, you have to jump before making contact with your target?

Good, now that we have brought the referee into the discussion, I have a question for those who think the hit was legitimate: If you are the ref, are you calling Downie for a penalty, any penalty? Or, based on what I have read, according to some here, the hit was legitimate and does not even call for a two minute minor.

I would have given him at the least a charging penalty for jumping into a player on a check. If his elbows came up then he would have had an additional with that, as well. All that at the very least. Factor in that he was head hunting a little bit and you could make the argument for a major.

I'm saying His feet hardly left the ice at contact, dont try and pretend he took a jump at him.

Your feet don't come off the ice if you aren't jumping at a player.

That what I'm saying though, the ref's make mistakes but then those mistakes can lead to larger and more dramatic things.

Important: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOAxYWeQWxE

Watch this, listen to how mnay games people gets for things they do, then rethink about how mnay games Downie should get.

well i watched the video...and like you recommended i took the time to rethink how many games downie should get, and i still say he gets at least 10 (a realistic number from the NHL). But in my opinion he should be suspended for the rest of the year for that garbage.

I dont care if he was headhunting or not, he hit a player in the head charging in from the blue line with his elbow. This is the kind of shit the league saw all last season and it's borderline painful for a hockey player or fan to watch.

In my opinion, if the NHL is going to really put their foot down and not tolerate headshots, they should suspend that dingler for a season

Sometimes when I can't change direction or avoid a hit, I might instinctually jump--not so much because I want to end up on top after the collision, but because I subconsciously feel that removing my legs from the ice might help me avoid adverse trauma to my knees. Of course, I straighten up and keep my arms loose out of courtesy to the other guy.

Sometimes when I can't change direction or avoid a hit, I might instinctually jump--not so much because I want to end up on top after the collision, but because I subconsciously feel that removing my legs from the ice might help me avoid adverse trauma to my knees. Of course, I straighten up and keep my arms loose out of courtesy to the other guy.

Bartender, I'll have what this gentleman is having. Avoid adverse trauma? That's rich.

Bartender, I'll have what this gentleman is having. Avoid adverse trauma? That's rich.

I'm not saying that it's the least dangerous play for either party involved, but if I see a guy coming in fast out of the corner of my eye and it doesn't seem like he's looking my way either, I try not to slam into him knee-on-knee. It happens during the rare collision with a teammate as well and I'm sure as hell not bracing up to hit his head either.

I'm not saying that there wasn't intent to injure on Downie's part either. I'm just speaking for myself and I've never been accused of supermaning into another player.

Mike Keanen in an interview I think said it best, he said something along the lines of, "Do I agree with what Downie did?, No he left his feet, but McAmmond should have also have had his head up. He should have exspected comming around the net like that to get hit instead of admiring his pass."

It was something along those lines, can't remember exactly his words.

He left his feet that's it. He never lined him up from the blue line, it was just outside of the hash marks, he never stuck out his elbow either. He left his feet and took four strides before the hit, making it a really bad charge.

well i watched the video...and like you recommended i took the time to rethink how many games downie should get, and i still say he gets at least 10 (a realistic number from the NHL).

First person who actually put up a reasonable number IMO.

Downie is too meat with the league today so we'll see how it turns out.

I didn't see the full play, but the only thing I would consider calling Downie on here would be 2 mintues for charging, simply because from reading Bob Mackenzie's blog it sounds like he ran him from the other end of the ice.

As for the whole leaving his feet thing...does anyone here really thing the hit would be any less devestating if he kept his feet on the ice? Of course not, McAmmond would still be out. Any coach I've ever heard has told me you can actually deliver a harder check by NOT jumping into a hit as you maintain more speed and can power through the player better.

Ok ok, I know what you are going to say, if you don't jump you won't hit him in the head though. I suppose, but think Campbell on Umberger, Campbell stayed low and still put his shoulder right in Umberger's face. Plus Downie was what, like maybe 3 inches off the ice when he hit him? Max? C'mon.

It's hockey, two players skating full speed at one another, sometimes you're going to get hit in the head, that's just how it works.

Your only corroborating the sentiments of everyone on here. It is natural that you will get hit in the head once in a while in a contact sport. However,the hitter has control over a diving, flying, head first hits into another players helmet. It is these "controlled" hits that the NHL needs to remove. Accident helmet contact is, by nature, accidental.