Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ronnychencharik

Staph infection

My team just had a couple of road games in ohio over the weekend. Around 2 this afternoon my coach calls me and says a guy from our team has it. Apparently a big boil appeared around a cut he got during a game. He's in the hospital right now and going to be fine. I was just wondering if anyone else had been affected by it, i guess its even killed a few people.

A guy on my team got it a few weeks ago. His foot swelled up a lot and he was in the hospital for a few days. He got it through a cut in his foot.

anyone in MI go to Cusino? i know a kid that plays at my rink that goes there, and since Stevenson high school apparently has a very bad case of it, at the end of every class hour at Cusino, they require each and every person in the building use hand sanitizer and soap/water. Apparently another guy at Troy Athens has also contracted it.

Didn't the kid at Stevenson die from it?

Found a link for it -

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/regional/in...chigan#continue

We had a guy at our rink get it because of a cut. Almost lost the hand. Spent awhile in the hospital to get the infection under control.

Is that the kind of infection Renberg had? Im not that much into infections, so i might be wrong (i somehow feel that i AM wrong).

I'm anal about washing my stuff to the point of being OCD about it. In saying that we had a ball tournament (thurs-Sund) with up to 5 games being played on any day depending on your seeding.

Anyway, we played 3 games Thursday and 4 on Friday. I'm a catcher and it was 30+ weather. My shin pads got super gross but they're the wicking material so I was like "No problem."

Got to Saturday and I had a cut on my leg from sliding OVER second base and knocking it off it's magnetic holders. By then it was all gross, red and pussy. So being me, I packed shale onto it and rolled my socks over so it wouldn't puss everywhere.

Got to Sunday and my leg was all swollen. Wasn't Staph but it was still gross. Still have a huge scar from it.

Lesson: Wash your gear no matter what, especially at tournaments!

LOL!

Ti-girl, i know what you meant, but that isn't a form of the work "pus".

maybe "...gross, red with lots of pus." would be better.

Can you see/feel the bacteria on the equipment?

I hang my stuff up to dry after every game and spray down with Febreeze antimicrobial. Everything seems clean and dry but a lot of the talk around here and the locker rooms is making me nervous.

My gloves see quite a bit of use...I think I'm going to pick up a spare pair today and have my other ones repalmed and cleaned and what not.

Really makes me feel like an idiot playing when I still had stitches in my hand and the wound was still open, although to be fair I covered it up very well with guaze and tape, etc.

Wow. What a coincidence. I just contracted staph this weekend after playing UCLA. I had an open cut underneath my shinguards. Ended up in the ER last night with a really swollen leg and some massive redness around the injury.

It's quite possibly the grossest thing ever.

Mine was even more disgusting because I kept packing clay and shale onto it because I didn't want to be pulled off the field. (If you have an open cut you can't play until it's tended to.)

Though it's even worse when it gets infected and you get puss in it and then you don't drain the puss and it gets all hard and then you have to literally CUT the hardened piece of puss out of your leg.

Ugh, I just grossed MYSELF out and wrote the best run on sentence EVER.

Anyway, it was really hot and swollen and I ended up scarring really badly. Cool story to tell people though. :lol:

well i hope no one is picking up the super-drug resistant strain!

MRSA. It was going around (apparently) so I couldn't play with stitches in my chin for a week...

A lot of people actually have MRSA on their skin and don't know about it until the symptoms are given a chance to outwardly manifest themselves.

A lot of people actually have MRSA on their skin and don't know about it until the symptoms are given a chance to outwardly manifest themselves.

Ah... Well my cut healed up quite nicely (no signs of infection), so I'm glad that I'm able to play again without worrying about infection (got stitches out on Sunday). I played an entire period with it bleeding (the game it got cut), but it wasn't that bad of an experience.

MRSA. It was going around (apparently) so I couldn't play with stitches in my chin for a week...

It's big news around the city(Columbus) here lately as some local high schools have had issues with it. Quite a few students, lots of athletes, have gotten it. They've been paying big money to get everything sanitized after the recent outbreaks. There's been like 3 or 4 front page stories in the paper about it the last like week. Idk how it is else where though.

It's big news around the city(Columbus) here lately as some local high schools have had issues with it. Quite a few students, lots of athletes, have gotten it. They've been paying big money to get everything sanitized after the recent outbreaks. There's been like 3 or 4 front page stories in the paper about it the last like week. Idk how it is else where though.

A local School District actually just sent everyone home for the day and is considering if to remain closed until the "outbreak" is under control.

Is it "easy" to get? I've played with small cuts on my hands and things...but never figured it was something that happened really easily.

Is it "easy" to get? I've played with small cuts on my hands and things...but never figured it was something that happened really easily.

i was wondering that as well.