Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeymom

Curious... who pays on dates?

The Valentine's day thread made me wonder about who is paying for dates these days. I think I screwed up... lol@me... raised my daughter to dutch date, thinking making the guy always pay was sexist and old school. So she's quite happy paying her own way... and thinks girls who *expect* the guy to pay are weird.

My friend's kids seem to be stuck in a time warp... the boy's always have to pay.

So, which way does it work for you?

I will typically pay for most everything whenever me and my girl go out. By most everything, I mean the meals, an article of clothing she might want, all the higher priced stuff. She'll pay for ice cream, as an example. That way she doesn't feel like she's totally using me.

The Valentine's day thread made me wonder about who is paying for dates these days. I think I screwed up... lol@me... raised my daughter to dutch date, thinking making the guy always pay was sexist and old school. So she's quite happy paying her own way... and thinks girls who *expect* the guy to pay are weird.

My friend's kids seem to be stuck in a time warp... the boy's always have to pay.

So, which way does it work for you?

If women want equal rights, they can pick up a check every once in awhile.

I will typically pay for most everything whenever me and my girl go out. By most everything, I mean the meals, an article of clothing she might want, all the higher priced stuff. She'll pay for ice cream, as an example. That way she doesn't feel like she's totally using me.

whippingpost550wh1.th.jpg

Your skating on thin ice if you say that near a group of 'em.

Good qn hockeymom. In my opinion (am sure some guys will disagree), the guy should pay for the first date. The girl can offer, but if the guy insists, then the girl should offer to pay for the second date (if there is one).

nice pic ronny... hahah...

I admit, it's nice paying for everything and it's some sort of man-points gain, but I'm broke and she's not.

We don't really go out that much anymore, but when we were we split things pretty much 50/50 unless one of us had a lot more than the other.

I'm 17.

Always offer to pay in whole doing whatever, but it seems most if not all girls recently have been paying their own. It feels odd to me, but I feel my wallet later and it's a welcome feeling :)

I always offer or make a motion to pay on first dates, but almost every time they want to go dutch. Oddly enough, any time I ask women, they always say the guy should pay.

When dating, usually dutch or take turns, unless one or the other wants to treat. Of course, I haven't really dated much since college, and back then we were broke and didn't care so much about chivalry or equality, just enjoyed each others company.

I wished it worked like that, even the girls I've dated that make more than me have assumed I was paying. Of course thats is NYC Jewish girls so take it for what its worth.

i agree, i feel super awkward when she pays so i hide from the counter hahaha :D so i usually pay, unless it's something that i don't want to do. for example, seeing P.S. I Love You

My girlfriend and I pretty much split. She has a job and I worked my ass off over the summer to save up enough cash so I didn't have to work this year in college. So I usually pay for one movie she gets the next one. Dinners I'm a pretty good cook so I try and cook for her rather then take her out, but sometimes we are just out, but again its pretty much 50 50. Its pretty nice coming from my last girlfriend who always pulled the "my dad lost his job my families poor buy me a coach bag pleaseeeee and we won't have to see a movie" to which I reply with "Are you fucking joking?"

I pretty much always pay...I was raised that way and have always felt weird if i don't pay, my girlfriend of over a year always offers which I appreciate, but I just can't bring myself to let her pay.

If I invite a girl on a date I'm paying for it...

But after that I'll usually offer (out of tradition) and then kindda expect her to go dutch.

Please explain then expect her to go dutch, i saw it on another post and i do not understand..

Meals, movies, random snacks we just take turns without really keeping tally, it evens up in the end. The larger purchases I've paid for, ie went to mexico in december and I paid for everything but we're both working now and done with university so.....it's not a big deal.....the big deal will be how we split the downpayment on our house and who pays the mortgage lol

Ironically, my GF is Dutch; and would initially give me a look when I would grab the check. I told her since I invited her out to eat then I would pay. If she wants to invite me out for drinks after dinner, she is more than welcome to buy the first round...as a result I've been sober the past six weeks!

:)

J/K

Seriously though, this system works pretty well. Let whoever is making the offer pay.

In your daughter's case; she can offer to take the guy out for ice cream after the date.

My fiancee and I have been together for almost 5 years, so we're basically on a combined income anyways. But we'll make simple amends... for example, we go to a movie - I pay for tickets, she pays for snacks. It all ends up being the same.

I've got no problem paying on the first date but them offering to pay is a serious bonus... I've gone on dates where I buy dinner and she buys movie tickets or dessert or something.