Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I hate the guy who doesnt pass to people cause they think "they suck". Its happened to me more times than I can count, i know im no super star or anything but im pretty good at finding dead spots in coverage, and I could be WIDE open but that one douche wont pass cause he thinks you suck and cant do anything with it so he makes another pass to someone cover and it gets turned over. I hate that soo much!

I hate the guy who doesnt pass to people cause they think "they suck". Its happened to me more times than I can count, i know im no super star or anything but im pretty good at finding dead spots in coverage, and I could be WIDE open but that one douche wont pass cause he thinks you suck and cant do anything with it so he makes another pass to someone cover and it gets turned over. I hate that soo much!

QFT happens to me all the time and the only way to get better is to practice receiving those kinda passes

Also to add and It has deff been said, when people wear two tone black and white jerseys

People who drop like a brick at any contact, and then miraculously heal if the puck comes to them. It's like they've been watching too much of the FIFA World Cup. The pick up game I was at tonight plays games to 5. It's 4-4, and a tight game of good hockey. Buddy takes a tumble, and is rolling around like he's been curbed just outside our blue line. Our goalie actually starts skating out to see what's wrong, when a clearing shot comes towards the prone player. He's up like a shot, dekes our goalie (who's about even with the hash marks) and whoops it up like he's just won game seven. Douche.

I absolutely hate that! I was at inline pick up and i rarely play inline anymore so I was still adjusting to skating and the different feel of the puck and lost a few passes in my feet and I didn't get passes untill I finally adjusted 45 minutes later and scored a few times.

Is it a jerk move to do a move like Forsberg does at 1:45 in

video? Or to deke wide on a goalie and hold the puck until the goalie is on the ground?

I've been called out on it and I didn't think there was anything wrong with them.

video? Or to deke wide on a goalie and hold the puck until the goalie is on the ground?

I've been called out on it and I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

I've been called out on it and I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you're playing with others around your skill level. If you're doing it to a goalie who just started playing or you're rushing end to end every time and aren't passing so you can pull it that's a different story. It all depends on the context.

Personally, I'd rather play with someone who finishes off a goal with a nice move like that than someone who takes incredibly bad angled shots all the time. That's definitely one of my pet peeves - there was a guy who used to come to a pick up session I would attend years ago who would constantly go wide with the puck with his head down and take bad angle slap shots even if he had two guys open in the slot or cross crease. You knew he was going to take the slap shot no matter what.

My rink caps pickup at 20 skates + 2 goalies and 96% of the time its full but there always people who try and sneak on thinking no one will notice. Then we have to stop the game while they go down the sign in sheet to see who has not paid and finally one or two players will remember that they "forgot" to pay and they leave the ice.

Had a couple guys and their goalie friend show up to stick time and refuse to do anything with us. So they decided half the rink was theirs so we decided to do a little play by play for the all stars. They weren't too fond of that.

I really just can't stand either extreme of guys at pickup hockey. I don't like the guy who is going to try and take your head off and takes it super seriously, and I also can't stand the little baby who freaks out if you even touch them. I personally try to avoid body contact in pickups, and would never intentionally check someone, but I have also been checked quite frequently by guys in pickup games and don't really care, it's hockey. I only took exception to a guy one time, and that was because for some reason he was open ice checking me long after I had gotten rid of the puck. I didn't say anything to him, I just waited till the next time he had his head down (which was quite frequently).

I think if the over zealous "enforcers", puck hogs, iron man shifters, cherry pickers, and super danglers could take it down a notch, and the "its just pickup, I expect to never be touched" could remove the tampon, we could actually have a good pickup

I think if the over zealous "enforcers", puck hogs, iron man shifters, cherry pickers, and super danglers could take it down a notch, and the "its just pickup, I expect to never be touched" could remove the tampon, we could actually have a good pickup

I'm 100% with you on the sentiment, well put. But just for the record, insinuating the wussies have feminine qualities (or hygiene issues) just doesn't fly... some of the biggest whiners I've ever played with were men and most of the toughest, meanest players I've run into at pickup have been women. Maybe its cause we have more to prove or something... dunno. Just sayin.

Seriously? I don't even check texts in the locker room. Hockey time is me time.

I was seriously contemplating doing something to/with his phone... at least hide it or something. Kid pissed me off.

I'm 100% with you on the sentiment, well put. But just for the record, insinuating the wussies have feminine qualities (or hygiene issues) just doesn't fly... some of the biggest whiners I've ever played with were men and most of the toughest, meanest players I've run into at pickup have been women. Maybe its cause we have more to prove or something... dunno. Just sayin.

your 100% right, I apologize if you took offense, and the babies out there are often the ones that you would least expect it from based upon looks. The few women I have played with are often some of the toughest, because if they weren't, they likely wouldn't still be playing.

your 100% right, I apologize if you took offense, and the babies out there are often the ones that you would least expect it from based upon looks. The few women I have played with are often some of the toughest, because if they weren't, they likely wouldn't still be playing.

It's all good. Funny thing, one of my local rinks started a women's pickup on Friday nights. At first, I was really psyched - thought it would be a great "girls night out" kinda thing. But so far, they haven't been that great and the college women that sometimes show up are, to be quite frank, a bunch of mean-ass bitches that aren't much fun to play with. But then today, my partner and I ended up at a nearly empty shinny with 4 young guys from the local high school team... way beyond our skill level... but all 6 of us had a bunch of laughs, some good hockey talk (including some gear comparisons and worst injury stories) and a really fun game of 3 on 3. Go figure.

i hate the guy that cherrypicks and waits for that long stretch pass, then when he comes to the bench he complains that noone gave him the open pass and that nobody is skating hard or backchecking...

It's all good. Funny thing, one of my local rinks started a women's pickup on Friday nights. At first, I was really psyched - thought it would be a great "girls night out" kinda thing. But so far, they haven't been that great and the college women that sometimes show up are, to be quite frank, a bunch of mean-ass bitches that aren't much fun to play with. But then today, my partner and I ended up at a nearly empty shinny with 4 young guys from the local high school team... way beyond our skill level... but all 6 of us had a bunch of laughs, some good hockey talk (including some gear comparisons and worst injury stories) and a really fun game of 3 on 3. Go figure.

At stick and puck yesterday we had two high school age girls show up and suddenly all the guys around that age were expert coaches. I have gone to pickup with my female friend and everyone is always trying to creep on her. I feel for the ladies

You know what I can't stand? When there's 9 guys on the ice that can play the game and then number 10 is some guy that's basically a moving cone. He takes a 5 minute shift because "he's not tired", doesn't have any idea how to think the game yet believes he is being useful out there and gets upset when he doesn't get included in the action.

I was seriously contemplating doing something to/with his phone... at least hide it or something. Kid pissed me off.

I bring my phone to the bench sometimes during lunch pickups. Not everyone has the freedom to just ignore the outside world at all times. I certainly wouldn't make a phone call from the bench, but just sending a text or an email, I don't see how that impacts you in any way. If you don't like it, tough. I don't see why people get all worked up about things that in no way affect them. I can understand bitching about the way people play, but someone minding their own business checking their phone is just that, their own business.

Some people have work, kids, spouses, babysitters, etc. If I didn't play hockey every time I thought something that I need to take care of may come up, I would never get to play.

You know what I can't stand? When there's 9 guys on the ice that can play the game and then number 10 is some guy that's basically a moving cone. He takes a 5 minute shift because "he's not tired", doesn't have any idea how to think the game yet believes he is being useful out there and gets upset when he doesn't get included in the action.

I don't get the guys that are new or just suck, and complain that they aren't getting the puck(just so they can turn it over). Also, if you are going to be a cone, at least do it in a defensive position. One night I ended up in a pickup game with a bunch of guys who were current or ex minors, some college players, etc, and needless to say, I felt like a total moron. So since I knew trying to play any kind of offense was going to be stupid, I just tried to play the point as best I could, and play the best defense I could, and in reality, I think I did a pretty good job. It was also a pretty full bench, so I made sure to take quick shifts and just watch and learn the rest of the time. I think the truth is, a lot of people simply have never looked in a mirror, or don't want to, and seemingly have no clue what their actual skill level is. Maybe it was too much"everything johnny does is great!" parenting.

I don't get the guys that are new or just suck, and complain that they aren't getting the puck(just so they can turn it over). Also, if you are going to be a cone, at least do it in a defensive position. One night I ended up in a pickup game with a bunch of guys who were current or ex minors, some college players, etc, and needless to say, I felt like a total moron. So since I knew trying to play any kind of offense was going to be stupid, I just tried to play the point as best I could, and play the best defense I could, and in reality, I think I did a pretty good job. It was also a pretty full bench, so I made sure to take quick shifts and just watch and learn the rest of the time. I think the truth is, a lot of people simply have never looked in a mirror, or don't want to, and seemingly have no clue what their actual skill level is. Maybe it was too much"everything johnny does is great!" parenting.

Why jump on the ice if you're afraid to get in the play? Plus, pickup is a place for guys who suck to get better. Not passing to an open guy up ice because he's new or you think he'll cough it up is pretty much a dick move. Guys that "get it" try to help out guys that are new or not as skilled by giving them the puck and giving them chances.

Plus, pickup is a place for guys who suck to get better. .

What are you talking about Chipp? Pickup is for everyone to have fun, go for a skate and get better.

I bring my phone to the bench sometimes during lunch pickups. Not everyone has the freedom to just ignore the outside world at all times. I certainly wouldn't make a phone call from the bench, but just sending a text or an email, I don't see how that impacts you in any way. If you don't like it, tough. I don't see why people get all worked up about things that in no way affect them. I can understand bitching about the way people play, but someone minding their own business checking their phone is just that, their own business.

If you have legitimate business to be doing, by all means, do it. I was more referencing the 17-23 year old guys figuring out where they're going to get hammered that night and which girl they're going to try to hit on via text while on the bench.

If you have legitimate business to be doing, by all means, do it. I was more referencing the 17-23 year old guys figuring out where they're going to get hammered that night and which girl they're going to try to hit on via text while on the bench.

Sad to say, but that actually might be their legitimate business.