Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

People who keep circling back and not making a pass, just so it opens up a lane only for them.

then we have guys who complain that no one's ever open for them to pass to

I'm sure quite a few have this problem in their group, haha.

But I play with a group once a week- Very much regulars with a new guy here or there, but overall the same 15-25 guys.

Anyways, this new guy comes one day (that a lot of us know from another skate) and he brings his son and his son's friend. This was during a busy period so it wasn't that much appreciated. But what made it bad was that he demanded that himself and the two kids play on the same line, which screwed things up since we had an extra on forward and they didn't want their line to be broken up.

People who keep circling back and not making a pass, just so it opens up a lane only for them.

I have to admit that was me last night. I started out making all my passes, but I just got really frustrated with both my own play and the effort level of some of my teammates that I started to carry it more myself. It's rare that I play that way, but my teammates weren't skating. So I would rush back to Defense see them all waiting at the center line or other team's blue line when I got the puck (Usually out of the net because I can only do so much on 3 and 4 on 1's), someone would always be banging there stick on the ice as if I was going to reward them for laziness by springing them on a breakaway.

Played today during lunchtime shinny and this guy was skating circles around everyone else... thought he just a middle aged guy still trying to make it to the show.... come to find out he actually did play in the NHL !hahaha

Played today during lunchtime shinny and this guy was skating circles around everyone else... thought he just a middle aged guy still trying to make it to the show.... come to find out he actually did play in the NHL !hahaha

Who was he?

After reading all the negative things, I just wanted to post something positive for once (despite it being technically off-topic for the thread).

Tuesday night we had a couple guys who were CLEARLY better than everyone else. I'm not sure if they were friends of the rink owner or what, but they were wearing zero equipment (not even mandatory helmets). However... as soon as they'd get the puck, they'd stop and wait until one of the newbies (like me) was open, and then send them a clean pass. Then, as soon as I rushed my pass or shot and ended up giving up a horrific giveaway, they'd skate over to me and tell me exactly what I should have done instead. Stuff like "you had more time, your pass was a good one but this other guy was open and he was the better option".

If they'd get on a breakaway, they'd peel off into the corner instead of going in on net, and wait for the newbies to catch up and feed them a perfect pass. It was REALLY nice to actually get to be involved in a play for once. Super great guys, and I really hope they're there next week. I felt more confident already, and even skated up ice with the puck once (rather than just getting rid of it as quickly as I can, like usual.)

As far as things I hate (to justify my posting in this thread...): The pro-stars that give you absolutely zero time and space to make a play. I get that they wanna play hard, but when its obvious that I'm just learning.. give me a chance at least!

Uggggh.. I hate guys that spit their dip on the ice. So all you see is nothing but lines that go up and down the ice of brown shit.

So gross.

Agreed, but not pick-up specific.

This could be regarded as a peeve but I also find it humorous as it is embarrassing.

As stated before celebrating. You scored on a goalie who couldn't even go down into the butterfly, congrats?

Also players who try to play like they are danglers when their hands are concrete.

These both came from the same group of kids I saw that I can for a fact say they play High School hockey, all wearing there practice jerseys and socks. Being 3 years removed from HS hockey I am guessing they play JV or the talent around here has gotten weaker.

Tuesday night we had a couple guys who were CLEARLY better than everyone else. I'm not sure if they were friends of the rink owner or what, but they were wearing zero equipment (not even mandatory helmets). However... as soon as they'd get the puck, they'd stop and wait until one of the newbies (like me) was open, and then send them a clean pass. Then, as soon as I rushed my pass or shot and ended up giving up a horrific giveaway, they'd skate over to me and tell me exactly what I should have done instead. Stuff like "you had more time, your pass was a good one but this other guy was open and he was the better option".

I'm glad by you people will do that because I will have people thanking me for passing to them. I find it odd that it happens but it makes sense since I would fall in the "college kids" category but I pass to anyone who is open. I don't care if you are being held up by your stick. If you're open you are gettin a pass.

I'm glad by you people will do that because I will have people thanking me for passing to them. I find it odd that it happens but it makes sense since I would fall in the "college kids" category but I pass to anyone who is open. I don't care if you are being held up by your stick. If you're open you are gettin a pass.

I've got one thing to say to that:

If you are empty, you're gettin' a beer.

Haha well helping a little goes a long way, eh? You know it bothers me when people can't realize that everyone paid to play. I mean I go with my buddies and yeah I will be on the ice with them but at the same time you still have TEAMMATES on the ice too. People are ignorant. :/

Uggggh.. I hate guys that spit their dip on the ice. So all you see is nothing but lines that go up and down the ice of brown shit.

So gross.

I guess common courtesy doesn't exist anymore. If I'm playing hockey, I'll put snus in if anything

I don't like when kids don't know how to stop and come flying at you when you have the puck by the boards and when you pass the puck they can't stop or change directions so they stop by running into you.

The kid who freaks and starts celebrating and jumping around after scoring an empty netter at pick up.

Yeah pickin corners on empty nets! Next stop, NHL. Right?

I think what enough people don't seem to realize is that they don't adapt to their surroundings. When I go to pick up, there are everything from house league atom's to 65 year olds. Though I play junior, I am in no means an all star, however against this group it would be easy to do that. at pick ups, I'll play defense if the skill level is low, I'll make passes to everybody on the ice and this way, I can try to show the all stars that Im playing against to relax.

However, playing with a better group of players, is a total different story, and there are kids that play D1 or OUA and even pro, and it's their turn to slow down a little, I don't expect them to spoon feed me because I can fend for myself, but at the same time, I think they realise that nobody is going to keep up with a D1 player that wants to go end to end, and the goalie probably wont stop an NHL players shot.

More people need to adap to their surroundings is all im saying.

People who care about what equipment u wear, and people who care about winning.... its pick up.

that happens all the time, we had a guy who said he was the scott stevens of pickup, laid out my friend when he wasnt looking elbowed another guy and got cornered and told by a few of us to calm down and play and have fun or take off, he calmed down, started to play and took off, we were skating circles around him and all we heard after stripping the puck from him was constant curse words, hilarious i just laugh when i give up the puck, no use getting so serious, its pickup

I think what enough people don't seem to realize is that they don't adapt to their surroundings. When I go to pick up, there are everything from house league atom's to 65 year olds. Though I play junior, I am in no means an all star, however against this group it would be easy to do that. at pick ups, I'll play defense if the skill level is low, I'll make passes to everybody on the ice and this way, I can try to show the all stars that Im playing against to relax.

However, playing with a better group of players, is a total different story, and there are kids that play D1 or OUA and even pro, and it's their turn to slow down a little, I don't expect them to spoon feed me because I can fend for myself, but at the same time, I think they realise that nobody is going to keep up with a D1 player that wants to go end to end, and the goalie probably wont stop an NHL players shot.

More people need to adap to their surroundings is all im saying.

100% correct...after reading what you posted....would love to play with you!! Im an "older" guy out there but do ok! I think out attitudes are rthe same! anyone who is good will drop back to D and help there, when players are weaker....its the guys who are good yet the only people they can take the puck from are the weaker players, That bugs me!!!! Good post adam14!! Wish all pick up players werwe like you and I!!Cheers!

100% correct...after reading what you posted....would love to play with you!! Im an "older" guy out there but do ok! I think out attitudes are rthe same! anyone who is good will drop back to D and help there, when players are weaker....its the guys who are good yet the only people they can take the puck from are the weaker players, That bugs me!!!! Good post adam14!! Wish all pick up players werwe like you and I!!Cheers!

i agree, i believe i suck at hockey because i make fun of myself and my everything around, its how i am, i just have fun with it, and i agree with that dudes post and yours. We're all the same a pick up, yep, theres better guys out in it, and worse guys, but whats something i do when i score? skate away, but when a person who is having a hard time skating or shooting because they're new, and i pass to them and they shoot and if they score? i'm on them jumping, it builds confidence, i always pass to everyone i always try to make sure everyone gets puck time with the puck, people show up to skate and get better others are there to relax from the higher end leagues they're in. Might as well give everyone a good time out there from something funny being said or making them feel good for improving.

As a polar opposite to the last post I made about how great Tuesday night pickup was, apparently Wednesday nights are NOT noob friendly where I play. Since Tuesday is 1/2 drills and 1/2 pickup, it's generally the lower skilled guys that show up. I went to the Wednesday night pickup and only lasted a couple of shifts. Playing against guys one more maybe two divisions up teaches you a lot and they'll pass you the puck etc... but these guys were Div 1 and 2, for sure. It was a total waste of time. They'd take the puck from you the moment you got it, and it was just one big game of keepaway. It wasnt fun, and I wasnt learning anything. I said to hell with it, I'll stick to Tuesdays, and went home. I'm all for getting better, but this was just too much.

I have to say, Glad to see I'm not the only one with pick up pet peeves.

1) Goalies not coming even when it's free

2) Kids who play way to hard and fast and think they are just the bees knees cause they are faster then all

3) People that go all out when they score (really? It's just a pick up game, but also, I give you guys and gals a lot of credit for when a newb scores and you congratulate them)

4) Getting checked into because some older gentleman doesn't know where he is on the ice (I said sorry to him, but then he left after HE ran into me)

I must say, those are my Peet Peeves. However the nice thing is that I never ever get picked on when I play and I'm always scared of that because I'm a 390lb hockey player who tries his hardest. I might not hve a lot of stamina but I know and love the game. Sure I have trouble with left cross overs and backwards crossovers but that's why I'm there. To soak it all up. More often then not I get a lot of compliments for playing

I love it when we are playing post and I nick the crossbar and you can clearly see the puck change direction, and the ref looks like he has his thumb up his ass like nothing happened. And even the kids on the other team are like wow that was clearly a goal. Now that pisses me off.