Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

It is, the goalie is seeing shots and guys are taking shots. You'll notice in pro warmups that guys work on their in tight hands and moves when the goalies vacate the nets and it is just a free for all of players coming down the slot. They never do that with a goalie in the net until maybe the rebound game with that night's backup.

It's different for the pros; they practice and play all the time. The guys I play with are lucky to get 10 minutes sharing a goalie for practice each time out. Whatever our goalies want is fine with me.

My pet peeve is guys excessively celebrating goals. Were not keeping scores in Shinny, it's fine to fist bump your teammate or whatever if you get off a nice one-timer, but your garbage goals don't need a train whistle.

My pet peeve is guys excessively celebrating goals. Were not keeping scores in Shinny, it's fine to fist bump your teammate or whatever if you get off a nice one-timer, but your garbage goals don't need a train whistle.

"Hey, nice goal, man. Your first ever, eh?"

Go pick the puck up out of the net and hand it to him, asking if he wants to save it...that usually puts an end it (no ive never been punched for that...surprisingly)

I've never seen someone that's serious with there celly in shinny. Usually most people doing them are just joking around so I don't mind. I personally try to act like I've been there whether its pick up or a league game. Shinny is for fun but if you're doing Cellys in a mens league game I'd have to chirp.

They are just 10 year olds but we tell the kids to shoot from the high slot (they don't know how and aren't allowed by the rules to take slapshots yet) and to put it on his pads, to let him "feel the puck". If more of them could place their shots well I would also tell them to work his glove and blocker as well, but it's a struggle just to get them to put it on the pads. They are generally warming him up on a "half ice horseshoe" (not standing at the blue line waiting).

It's different for the pros; they practice and play all the time. The guys I play with are lucky to get 10 minutes sharing a goalie for practice each time out. Whatever our goalies want is fine with me.

I view pick up as more to try things and work on your game in a relaxed game like setting and not a place to practice. If someone is looking to work on their shot or stick handling, I think stick and puck, an actual practice session or the driveway/garage/basement is the place for that.

Whatever works for you. Some of us don't have the opportunity for stick & puck, etc., so all we've got are the few minutes before the pickup game.

recently went with Sean a board member to a stick time to just skate together and practice some shooting, absolutely annoyed the hell out of me and reminded me why i stay away from polar ice, 35 kids under 13 taking my puck after i would shoot and having to chase them down, 8 16 year olds who decided half the ice was their for their own pickup game even though thats not allowed and their annoyance at us trying to shoot pucks. Resulted in me nailing a few of them with pucks on purpose.

I'm not a jerk, we all paid the same price to play it's everyones ice.

as for pickup theres been some kid who takes it way too seriously says its his practice to make it onto the ASU team, but he randomly keeps falling on his face, hey at least hes trying. but when he's up against the boards with me for a puck, i grab the puck and instead of using his stick, he lifts his leg and hops over and steps on my blade to make me give up the puck? Well thems fighting words in pickup.

I totally understand where you're coming from. When i was 16/17, I hated playing in my own age bracket (14-17) of shinny. Like you said, the kids are ridiculous. 20min shifts, no passing, one-man shows, silly dangles, I could go on. They just haven't learned respect yet and that's understandable for that age, although they eventually they all will since they're all going to play beer league eventually...

I totally understand where you're coming from. When i was 16/17, I hated playing in my own age bracket (14-17) of shinny. Like you said, the kids are ridiculous. 20min shifts, no passing, one-man shows, silly dangles, I could go on. They just haven't learned respect yet and that's understandable for that age, although they eventually they all will since they're all going to play beer league eventually...

this also applies to mid 20 year olds as well haha, 20 minutes shifts, and one man shows.

I hate the duality I have developed from hoping two goalies show, because I've become the de facto backup since there's equipment that fits me in the storage room, versus hating when a particular idiot shows.

Let me count the ways.

He always shows up slightly after 9:00 am for the 9:15 am skates. I asked the other goalie on Tuesday, since they're both firemen, "Hey, Craig, Bill's on the same shift as you, right? So today's his day off, right? Okay. So he could choose to wake up fifteen minutes earlier to get here at 8:45 and be on the ice by 9:15, right?"

He barks, barks, barks about the lack of effort or execution in front of him, although he's like a pylon during those times when he actually skates out.

He'll refuse to play against any play that he feels his defense should have stopped. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a beautiful tape-to-tape pass from the goal line to a guy who snuck behind the defense; Bill put one arm on the crossbar and let it be known he wasn't going to defend the goal. The same thing happened this Tuesday after one guy had a chance to score a hat trick during one shift. Bear in mind, that other than this one shift, the ice was absolutely tilted to our end; they had outscored us maybe 20-5 at that point, but it was either he was punishing the defense for letting the player by, or he wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of a hat trick.

But the reason I'm typing this is for what I think he did. When I play goalie and the puck is close to the net, I cover it up and winner takes out. He will often screw around with it. In this case, he tried passing it to his defense, who flubbed it and left it right by the goal mouth, so I tapped it in. I'm guessing that it's a punishable offense for someone to score a cheap goal after one of his gaffes, because a few minutes later, he lunged out to poke check a player. As he pulled himself back toward the net, the paddle of his stick hit my helmet. Then again. And again.

After three times, I had to assume he did it on purpose. And while I never get confrontational with anyone out there, I wanted to let him know I didn't appreciate it. I turned and yelled back, "That better not have been for real." Because I may have my first hockey scuffle if it happens again.

They open three different locker rooms for us at my lunch time drop in. That's more than enough space for the 15-20 people that show up, and actually having a full 20 is pretty rare, to comfortably change. I cannot for the life of my understand the idiots that all have to try and crowd into the first room. Just go ahead and put your stuff right where I was sitting because Lord forbid you should walk to the locker room next door. If you must be in the popular kids locker room then show up early.

You could forgo the 1st locker room all together and go to the last. It's what I usually do to get the most room.

While I'm usually one of the early ones, I'll tell you why someone would pick a crowded room. Because there are two joys to playing hockey: chasing around that little piece of frozen black rubber, and having a good conversation with the guys you've been skating with for years.

If it was the regulars crowding in I could actually understand that. But it always seems to be the guys that show up once or twice a month that are the worst offenders.

Long shifters. Players that refuse to play a side to avoid their teammates. Players that don't pass the puck to anyone but certain players. Not a goalie, but the player that winds up a slapshot inside the circles on a breakaway on a newer goalie.

Oh, and the player that tries to line someone up in open ice. I don't mind a little body in the corners and actually enjoy some contact. But, if I don't know you, you shouldn't attempt an open ice hit on me.

Definitely long shifters. Also, the guys who take it way way way to seriously and on the other end guy who doesn't take it serious at all. It's pick-up for god's sake...calm And anyone who wants to fight during pick-up. I've seen this happen maybe once or twice but it's dumb. Usually happens when too serious guy pisses off a regular.

I don't do pick-up very much but I try to be very respectful to the regulars and everyone else. I play just hard enough to have it be fun for me but not so much that it pisses everyone else off. I usually use pick-up to work on some things I'm weak at or when I have a long break in my adult rec league for whatever reason.

Oh, and the player that tries to line someone up in open ice. I don't mind a little body in the corners and actually enjoy some contact. But, if I don't know you, you shouldn't attempt an open ice hit on me.

I've never seen this in pick-up. I've rubbed out teammates/friends along the boards, but (like you mentioned) I know them. They also give it back so it's fun. But an open ice check in pick-up? Uncalled for.

I'm getting really tired of lopsided games, in a weekly pick-up with a regular group of guys, for some reason the guy putting the team together doesn't know how to balance it out. Or won't throughout the game.

It's annoying as hell to pay $14 to drop the puck every minute.

I'm getting really tired of lopsided games, in a weekly pick-up with a regular group of guys, for some reason the guy putting the team together doesn't know how to balance it out. Or won't throughout the game.

That sucks for sure. The pickup group I frequent recently had it's founder move to california, and he was the one that always made the teams. New guy gives it a shot, and wouldn't you know it, he ends up on a team with the 9 of the best players in the session. We play games to 5, and the other team didn't win one for the whole two hours. A couple weeks later he wasn't there so we just showed up and made teams at the rink, and the teams were perfect. Each team one two games.

Today was a prime example for me. We had four gold level players and 8 beginner/learn to play players vs. 8 top tier adult players and four guys who played in the QMJHL at one point of their life. The Major junior guys had close to 10 a piece. At one point when three of the four top level players on our team were on the bench the for major's players kept the puck in our zone for 5-8 minutes. They would score then steal it in the neutral zone and score again. One guy had 4 in a row. How can that be fun. I mean I am all for playing against those guys and if our four were out there we were hanging alright but the beginners we had stayed on the ice the whole 5-8 minutes. I got 5 shifts in 90 minutes. A total waste of 15 dollars.

Long shifters.

The worst offenders are the guys who can barely skate but feel the need to stay out forever because they are never working hard enough to tire out!

I really don't care how good a player is, skate as hard as you can or get off the ice. If you can not skate well enough to do this, you might be better off at a stick and puck or a public skate for a little while.