Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Penguinsfanatic

Ovechkin hitting 60?

Apparently the code of the league has changed or folks just forget. There was a time that if a player entered the league and was taking runs all over the ice then opposing veterans would be grabbing him by the collar and introducing him to knuckles. It didn't matter if you were a scorer or a grinder. If you ran around the way Ovechkin does now then you had plenty of "welcome to the league" moments.

That code is long gone.

Let guys play the game the way it's meant to be played. Players shouldn't have to worry about some 4th line goon giving them a beating over a harmless and legal check.

Ovechkin brings excitement to the game. It'd be a shame to see him change his game because of some code that's older then his dad.

I'm going with 61.

Apparently the code of the league has changed or folks just forget. There was a time that if a player entered the league and was taking runs all over the ice then opposing veterans would be grabbing him by the collar and introducing him to knuckles. It didn't matter if you were a scorer or a grinder. If you ran around the way Ovechkin does now then you had plenty of "welcome to the league" moments.

That code is long gone.

Let guys play the game the way it's meant to be played. Players shouldn't have to worry about some 4th line goon giving them a beating over a harmless and legal check.

Ovechkin brings excitement to the game. It'd be a shame to see him change his game because of some code that's older then his dad.

I'm going with 61.

When did Shanny or a player of his ilk become a 4th line goon?

When most of his time is spent scoring or leading the league in scoring but what do we all know

I hear there was some guy named Howe who had no problem doing both.

chippa - It's a different game and league now. The game is no longer ruled by the vets. As long as guys like OV take as good as they give, it's all good.

Gordie Howe ain't walking through that door, and if he did he'd be old and gray. Wouldn't stop him from wanting to skate a shift. :D

Just my personal opinion. I think the guys that would take exception, respect the way he plays. The kid plays old time hockey with a healthy dose of modern era skill.

The kid plays old time hockey with a healthy dose of modern era skill.

I didn't get to see the Rocket...but from what I've heard it wasn't unlike Ovechkin. Raw power & emotion...offensively & physically. When he WANTED to score...he SCORED! End of story!

Now, Rocket wasn't jumping around after he scored...but that's the modern day aspect coming into play.

Nice Pitino reference.

Thought you'd like that. ;)

Lets hope OV doesn't hit 60 against the B's tomorrow.

Nice Pitino reference.

Thought you'd like that. ;)

Lets hope OV doesn't hit 60 against the B's tomorrow.

When the Leafs drop an 8 spot on you, anything is possible.

Well maybe he can show himself up and get 4 tallies, but who knows cause I doubt the B's have his number yet lol

Eh in games past the B's have done pretty well matching Chara second for second with Ovie. I highly doubt the Caps run away with this game. I see Ovie getting 1 maybe 2. But we always play crappy up in BAHSTON and add on to that the B's will be hungry after getting embarrased a couple games in a row. Should be an interesting game.

I say if Ovie breaks 62 caps make the playoffs.

I was at the game yesterday, hell of a game to be at (not sure how it translated on TV) until the 59.32 mark.

I think the caps needed 2 points this weekend, either by virtue of a win over the bruins or the pens, or 2 OTL pansy points.

They got neither.

HAd they had 2 points, they would be 5 points behind carolina, with a game in hand, and 2 head to heads.

Potentially 6 points, and all other things being equal for the team, the caps take the #3 spot.

Now they need help, and with all the 3 point games in the league, I don't think they have enough time to make up 6 points for 8th or 7 for 3rd.

I'm going to hope until it's mathematically impossible, but this weekend to me was the start of the golf club polishing season for them

The Caps needed their best player to be their best player this weekend, sadly for the Caps, Ovechkin seemed to mail in his game Saturday and Sunday.

The Caps needed their best player to be their best player this weekend, sadly for the Caps, Ovechkin seemed to mail in his game Saturday and Sunday.

He had 3 assists in those two games, and 13 shots along with multiple hits is "mailing it in"

Did you even watch the game.

The caps lost on saturday because Brashear took an idiotic penalty, followed by poti and erskine taking stupid penalties to give the bruins 2 5 on 3 penalties, which they capitalized on.

Then, a chance off aimed clearance effort by backstrom put the pens up 3-2 with 27 seconds to go in yesterdays game.

If you call that mailing it in, then you are certifiable.

I know this thread has turned into a pissing match, which is why I had bowed out. It's obvious, despite what you have said about ovey's exciting play that you have a bug in your ass about him.

But to say he mails it in is laughable.

I'm not going to get into another argument about him here, and the fact that I have defended pens fans :lol: shows how weak your argument has been throughout

I watched the full game on Saturday and all but the first 10 minutes on Sunday. For the sake of your Capitals, please don't tell me those were Ovechkin at his best. He was barely noticible in the Bruins game and weak second assists on the power play aren't exactly playing a dominating game.

We both know that Ovechkin is a much better player than he displayed over the weekend. A weekend where the Caps needed him to be the best player in the league, he wasn't.

Yeah, I've been following this thread as well, and the last speck of credibility you MIGHT have had is gone with this comment. I watched the whole Penguins game yesterday and there is no way he was mailing anything in.

I hadn't watched a lot of Ovie games before this one but I was very impressed with his ability on the PP manning the point. I think he's underrated as a passer because everyone focuses on his goals.

back to the dirty hit part of OV, i wouldnt exactly call him hunting malkin against the boards clean, i think he coulda got 2 minutes for it elbow to the head, apparently tghey ahte each other... thats a joke, the 2 best russina players in the league cant get along... i think OV will hit at least 0, but the caps wont make the playoffs, they needed to beat Boston and the pens... they gotta go on a mean ass win streak if the want a CHANCE in making the playoffs...

thats a joke, the 2 best russina players in the league cant get along...

What do you mean, him and Ilya get along just fine.

back to the dirty hit part of OV, i wouldnt exactly call him hunting malkin against the boards clean, i think he coulda got 2 minutes for it elbow to the head, apparently tghey ahte each other... thats a joke, the 2 best russina players in the league cant get along... i think OV will hit at least 0, but the caps wont make the playoffs, they needed to beat Boston and the pens... they gotta go on a mean ass win streak if the want a CHANCE in making the playoffs...

That's just painful to read. We're not nazis about spelling here, but you have to make a better effort.

I bet if he gets 60-65 the Caps make the playoffs. Thats just 9 goals in their last 12 games. If he does then the Caps are gonna hit a real late season winning streak, which I hope they do because I would really like to see Ovechkin in the playoffs.

Looking at the OvechKam, really seems silly watching the channel when he's on the bench. Its a split screen for those without centre ice package, game on 1/2 and dedicated Ovechkin on other half.

What next- NASCAR type helmet cams on each player with their own channels?

Ovechkam is annoying when he's on the ice and 2/3's of the time he's just sitting on the bench.... great TV!!!.... Glad my online feed changed back to normal view.