Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theelite

Playing my first season of ice hockey

Hey Everyone,

I'm playing ice hockey for the first time in my life this summer. It's been a childhood dream of mine to play. I've gotten pretty close to it, but was never allowed to play (hockey/power skating, and etc.).

Got any tips for me?

Thanks

first off congratulations! hockey is the best sport in the world :D

I just hit year number 1 of this January so I recently know how your feeling.

I'm not the best for tips, many other people on these forum for that but

1. Keep trying. Skating is an unnatural movement until you make it natural.

2. More ice time the better.

I don't wanna make any more tips because of my lack of skill itself but everyone else here is more than helpful.

Keep your stick on the ice, keep your head up, and have fun. Everything else will come in time. Skating, stickhandling, shooting, passing...all that improves with practice. Everything improves with practice, including keeping your head up. :P

Hockey is so darn fun because it is so freaking tough to play. Especially for people like you that didn't start out playing when most did at like 2 years old. It's much tougher this way.

My first piece of advice is just to learn to play with your head up. It's a terrible habit to break and again, starting at this age it is way tougher to break than normal.

Any holes in your game or even just general things you think can improve... I would say sit around and check out youtube if you have time for instructional stuff (ie - backhand, slapshot, etc). I actually recently really improved my skating stride after watching a clip on youtube on power skating or something like that. I generate much more power and speed now (swing those arms).

Get a stickhandling ball and work on stickhandling - head up - in the basement or garage.

If you play enough, you'll improve a ton and that is when you really start having fun - seeing your game develop.

Where are you playing? I'm doing the same thing. Just signed up for an adult novice league in Hamilton.

just keep your legs moving even if the play is on the other side or away don't stand still if you have to do little circles but keep those feet moving don't be a pylon just standing on the ice.

ps - this should be moved to general hockey forum since no equipment Q.

Get on the ice as much as possible. Instead of buying a lot of expensive gear and composite sticks, get a wood stick, some used gear and invest in a good hockey camp this summer. Go to as many developmental clinics as you can, and practice your skating and basic skills at public sessions and stick and pucks. If you have a friend who is an experienced player or coach, enlist their support and guidance. Often someone helping you along while you are learning the basics can be an enormous help and prevent bad habits, esp. skating, you have to unlearn later.

WELCOME TO THE GREATEST GAME ON THE PLANET. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A BLAST!

Lots of stick and puck and novice pick-up, talk to the guys out there. Most hockey players enjoy helping each other out. Rarely is there a shortage of advice at the rink. Have fun with it!

Coming from a 37 year old who just started playing a year ago.....have fun with it. The best thing you can do is hit the ice as much as you can. I try to hit public skates(non-hockey)just to work on skating. I also am taking an adult hockey class with is one of the best things I have done. I've learned a lot of valuable things in the class. Good luck!!

First and above all enjoy the game and have fun at it. Never stop trying to improve on your skills and never get down about your level of play. There will always be players better than you and those not so good as you. Respect them all regardless of their abilities. Enjoy the socialibility and comaradery, it's what life is all about.

the most common problem I see out of new players is trying to do to much. So as you get going just try to keep it simple, hockey doesn't have to be fancy to be good.

Oh yeah work on skating as much as you can, always see alot of guys who are learning to skate so focused on trying to shoot all day long.

I have been playing for 25yrs and after every game I do a couple of fiqure eights around the circles before I leave the ice.

just keep working at it, and improve your abilities. hockey is by no means an easy sport so practice is essential. keep your head up always, keep your knees bent, practice shooting and stickhandling off-ice ass well as on-ice, go to public skate sessions and most importantly have fun with it.