Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Miracle Stone is a whetstone, not a 220 grit stone.

He's a sharpener, therefore needs the grit stone. MS should be used as a finishing stone.

i couldn't quite understand what you were trying to say, but i assumed you meant that it is ok to use the miracle stone on step velocity runners. i just purchased some miracle stones with the honing oil and used them on my step velocity. the miracle stone, while a great product and the best side stone i've ever used, will ruin the mirror finish on step velocity runners. i spoke with step's us rep (midwest skate) and they recommend to use a sweet stick type device to get rid of the burr after sharpening since it will not touch the side of the blade.

Edited by wetwilly17

There's been many discussions about the sweet stick type devices on this site. Many people say it ruins your edge and it's a no no. A few have said it works great and if used properly, it wont ruin an edge. Personally, since I've bought the Miracle Stone, I put away my sweet stick and I get a lot more consistency in my skates. What I mean is that I don't get those random moments where my skates just slip under me.

To keep my Velocity's shining I remove them and buff them on my bench grinder prior to each sharpening. Doesn't take too long, maybe 5-7 minutes per skate. Next, I'm lucky enough to be able to sharpen my own skates at home. I finish the edge with the miracle stone being careful to hone as little of the steel as needed. They end up looking almost new after the reinstall. The MS will scratch it a little but it's not really noticeable from arms length and it buffs out next time I sharpen.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but SS holds an edge so well I go about 15-20 skates between sharpenings. Skating 3-4 times a week I only have to do it once a month or so.

When I had velocity steel on my skates, the shop I got them sharpened at would use a diamond stone and very lightly stone the edges on a slight angle. That's all they did and the edge was great.

To keep my Velocity's shining I remove them and buff them on my bench grinder prior to each sharpening. Doesn't take too long, maybe 5-7 minutes per skate. Next, I'm lucky enough to be able to sharpen my own skates at home. I finish the edge with the miracle stone being careful to hone as little of the steel as needed. They end up looking almost new after the reinstall. The MS will scratch it a little but it's not really noticeable from arms length and it buffs out next time I sharpen.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but SS holds an edge so well I go about 15-20 skates between sharpenings. Skating 3-4 times a week I only have to do it once a month or so.

could you explain that a little more? what tools etc. never buffed anything before and I'd love to restore the mirror finish after some jackass destroyed it :(

I have a 6" bench grinder that I bought a regular old buffing wheel for. Got both at my local home improvement store for like $50 total. I just use a fine buffing compound and the shine comes back pretty quickly.

ryobiBBufferSM2.jpg

Polishing 101

Edited by NorrisContender

I bought one set of Velocity after using many sets of the standard Step blades. I immediately returned to the standard Step because it doesn't make sense to me to suboptimize the sharpening in the interest of retaining the shine. Proper stoning before, during, and after sharpening is critical, and is undervalued by many sharpeners.

Hey Guys,

Question for anyone who has step steel on a CCM/RBK holder.

I know the Tuuk LS2 and other Tuuk Step Steels are a 9' radius same as the stock steel.

Is the step steel that is made for CCM/RBK a 10' radius like the stock steel or is it a 9' radius like the other step steels?

Can anyone confirm who has used these?

Thanks

I just got step steel to replace my cobra steel. Is the cobra steel profiled different out of the box? If i am using that term correctly. I feel like my step steel does not have any rocker to them.

step steel - feels great, but I feel like my steel feels longer than my graf steel and no I have the right size steel in my skate.

I feel like my turning isnt as sharp.

Honest opinion from someone who has a STEP account?

No. But I'll still take your money if you want the bling.

Revisiting this thread - even Miraclestone scratches Velocity. I've ordered a few for people and noticed that - but if you use the tip of the stone and hone carefully you can minimize the scratching to the edge.

Revisiting this thread - even Miraclestone scratches Velocity. I've ordered a few for people and noticed that - but if you use the tip of the stone and hone carefully you can minimize the scratching to the edge.

I dont care about the flash but i want the performance.

STEP tends to be consistent; however, Bauer has made great advances into making their steel consistent. Still run into situations in which it's not (especially when replacing runners) but more often than not it is.

It is better steel than stock, if that is your question.

You have to angle stone with a diamond stone in order to not mark the edges.

My opinion is the same as JR's. I have the velocity's myself. I think that the advantage in glide is negligible over regular step. The difference that a good sharpener makes is much more noticeable. However, I wouldn't use any other steel other than Step XL. I love the shape and the added length you get. I'd drive the 2hr to get the steel if I had too.