Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mattopiela

CCM U+ SKATES (any reviews/ feedback) ?

I had the opportunity to try them on today...McKies got them in this morning. A couple of things I noticed about the retail boot off the bat. First, they are MUCH lighter than anything CCM has ever produced. Second, the upper part of the boot is not stiff at all...in fact the upper of the retail boot felt thin and a bit flimsy.

I still decided to try them on to get an idea of the fit. As JR said, there is a lot more volume in the boot than the old vectors. The ankle padding felt a bit thin. The boot was comfortable, but didn't have the stiff feel that I like. It is certainly different...I just found the retail boot to look and feel like a first generation boot.

With alot of the talk in this thread based on the stiffness differences between the U+ and the one95 skates, at what point do skates become too stiff?

You have to remember that these skates are being designed as elite level skates, aimed at pro-level players. As a generalisation the typical pro player is often much bigger and stronger than a lower level player, therefore requiring the stiffer boot for better stability etc.

However, for a smaller lower skilled player (again this is just a generalisation) surely at some point these top line skates can bee too stiff for the player. So just because the 95's may be stiffer than the U+, is this to say that they are better, or that the U+ boots arent stiff enough? What direct benefits are linked to having the 'extra' stiffness found in the one95s?

skate stiffness is a tradeoff, stiff skates may* give you better straight-line speed, but less lateral maneuverability and vice versa. Like most things in this sport, it comes down to personal preference.

Saw the One95, and U+ today for the first time... the + was very different... I'm curious to know if they are going after the "supple" fit with that, but laced up higher than a Mission...

Unfortunately for me, there are no dealers in Western PA that carry the Mission Ice skates, roller blades only... So I'm stuck with the Bauer/CCM decision again.

To answer the stiffness question. Mostly it is true that skates the likes of One95 are too stiff for the general skater, but you have to take into consideration that a high school aged player who also plays travel hockey can hardly get any value out of anything less. Most parents cringe at the sight of the price tag of the newer generation skates. However, as a sales person one must inform them that a softer skate would not last half the season with the workload that is put upon the skate. Thus a skate like the One95 is justly sufficeint in lasting the duration both simultanious high school and travel seasons.

Skates can be rebaked -

IF I had a customer on the fence about a skate, I will bake it for them.

The guy at Perani's in Livonia offered the same thing. But they didnt have my size anyway.

Skates can be rebaked -

The guy at Perani's in Livonia offered the same thing. But they didnt have my size anyway.

Did you see Kevin?

If they havent got them yet, mid-may is the next ship date, I believe... So soon. Not sure after that.

When taking your U's to your sharpener for the first time, make sure they know that the width of the skate (on the plastic) where it clamps into the jig is approx 4.0mm, same as most goal skates. It will sit higher in the jig, so if they don't adjust their machines correctly, the skates will come out un-level.

Skates can be rebaked -

Did you see Kevin?

I saw a younger blonde haired guy. I dont think it was Kevin..

I should have asked and told him you sent me. Would have made the experience a lot better :rolleyes:

I ended up making my way over to Perfect Edge in Howell. What you think about their shops?

Somebody just brought a pair in for the first time to get them sharpened/baked. Real light. Looks better than any CCM skate I've seen since Pro Tacks.

I had to remove the Rocket Runner in order to sharpen it because it would not sit right in the jig when in the holder.

The guy showed me an insert that came with the skates that had baking instructions as well as an advisement that "The Performance enhancing Rocket Runner needs SPECIAL CARE when sharpened. Make sure that your local skate sharpening expert gives you Rocket Runner the star treatment.

For full details and an instructional video, please visit CCMSPORTS.COM/ROCKETRUNNER"

Unfortunately, the Instructional Video is "Coming Soon"

You would think CCM would try and get that up before the skates went to retail.

Somebody just brought a pair in for the first time to get them sharpened/baked. Real light. Looks better than any CCM skate I've seen since Pro Tacks.

I had to remove the Rocket Runner in order to sharpen it because it would not sit right in the jig when in the holder.

The guy showed me an insert that came with the skates that had baking instructions as well as an advisement that "The Performance enhancing Rocket Runner needs SPECIAL CARE when sharpened. Make sure that your local skate sharpening expert gives you Rocket Runner the star treatment.

For full details and an instructional video, please visit CCMSPORTS.COM/ROCKETRUNNER"

I read that and all I can picture is the Tuuk V2 steel from a few years back...

So

CCM sent it's dealers the instructions.

So

CCM sent it's dealers the instructions.

i would not put it past our other store to not send this info on to us.

I have had the skates since Montreal back in January. I really like them. The feel as cmfortable as the old Externo's I had.

But there about 1/4 of the weight. The best part about the runner is although you do need to use the goalie figure skate jig you dont need to sharpen them near as often as I think CCM thought you might. I have sharpened them once since I got them. The hardness of the steel allows you to maintain the edge longer IMO.

The profile was very nice out of the box mind you I dont have the proper tonges in my skates as they were a pair of the sample skates from Montreal.

Overall I would say they are an 8.5 out of 10.

The only thing I think that brings them down a bit is the look and not being as fancey some people think that there not as good.

Actually Picture is me wearing them in Montreal......I know to small to see!

Although I liked the ONE95 for the fit in the heel the U+ was much more comfrotable after heating.

With heating though make sure the oven is at Temprature. If not and you only put them in for 2 min the foam doesnt work as it should.

If they arent 100% put them back in and do it again when the oven is at full temp.

I have had the skates since Montreal back in January. I really like them. The feel as cmfortable as the old Externo's I had.

But there about 1/4 of the weight. The best part about the runner is although you do need to use the goalie figure skate jig you dont need to sharpen them near as often as I think CCM thought you might. I have sharpened them once since I got them. The hardness of the steel allows you to maintain the edge longer IMO.

The profile was very nice out of the box mind you I dont have the proper tonges in my skates as they were a pair of the sample skates from Montreal.

Overall I would say they are an 8.5 out of 10.

The only thing I think that brings them down a bit is the look and not being as fancey some people think that there not as good.

Actually Picture is me wearing them in Montreal......I know to small to see!

Although I liked the ONE95 for the fit in the heel the U+ was much more comfrotable after heating.

With heating though make sure the oven is at Temprature. If not and you only put them in for 2 min the foam doesnt work as it should.

If they arent 100% put them back in and do it again when the oven is at full temp.

Ha, were you the last group to do it?

CCM just sent me a pair.

This is so hard to find. Last time I tried on skates in a shop I had a guy trying to get me to buy a skate that was half a size too big.

So frustrating.

Skates can be rebaked -

When taking your U's to your sharpener for the first time, make sure they know that the width of the skate (on the plastic) where it clamps into the jig is approx 4.0mm, same as most goal skates. It will sit higher in the jig, so if they don't adjust their machines correctly, the skates will come out un-level.

Is this true of all the E-Pro holders because I had a hard time getting level sharpenings when those holders were on my skates? There is this one little shop in Hudson that seemed to get it right, though. B)

Is this true of all the E-Pro holders because I had a hard time getting level sharpenings when those holders were on my skates? There is this one little shop in Hudson that seemed to get it right, though. B)

I didn't really have too much of a problem centering it.

One thing to be aware of is that the steel is harder than most steel.