Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coryroth24

Equipment Addiction

Was just thinking about this last night. Between some of the kids I coach and admittedly myself, who is addicted to always buying new equipment even though they don't need it?

I have been doing okay, but I've been convinced to try composite sticks. I never liked them because I couldn't "feel" the puck as well when compared to a wood stick (that's a whole 'nother conversation). But after picking up a Vapor XXXX, I've been pretty much sold. Now I have three of the damn things... :blink:

Gloves are another one. I've been perfectly content with my 5 year old Bauer SDP Roll-4s. They're still in pretty good condition and I've been able to hold off any unbearable stench, but now that I saw pics of the new Vapor XXXX gloves, I might have to drop some bucks on a pair of them!

So how 'bout it?

I bought one95's and didn't really need them, but wanted them and that was a good enough excuse for me. I'm actually glad I did because I like them a lot more than my XXV's.

I am guilty as well! Funny the justifications we can come up with if we feel we need to! There is an acronym amongst musicians, mostly guitar players called GAS - gear acquisition syndrome !!

You will learn very quickly on here that a very high majority of people on this board are gear whores in some way. Some for sticks (see drewhunz), Some for gloves (see TBLfan), others for different things. Bottom line is be prepared to spend an unnecessary amount of time and money because of this forum. It will transform you from the casual hockey enthusiast into a completely new animal. With that said:

Welcome to the 'Squad.

Haha! Thanks! I've always been a little bit of a gear whore and brand loyalist (NBH). I'm just glad I finally found a forum that has discussions on equipment and what not. It's definitely coming in handy as far as OPS are concerned and finding out earlier about new stuff coming out.

I just bought a pair of Vapor XXXX shoulder pads. I have a pair of 5 year old Vapor 10 shoulder pads that are fine. I just wanted to try something new. I did not need new shoulder pads. I have Vapor XXXX gloves from Team Canada Jr team that I won on ebay. I paid the least of all the gloves that were auctioned but still did not exactly need them. They are very different from the retail Vapor XXXX gloves so I am glad I have them and I do use them. I bought a pair of NBH 4 roll gloves a few months ago. I wanted a piece of equipment that was branded "NikeBauer" before that gear is all gone. The gloves are great but didn't really need them. I have 4 other pair of Cooper BDP Pro 4 roll from the mid 90s I rotate into games with. Admitted glove whore. I also collect old gloves from the 50s,60s, and early 70s. The collection is over 80 pair. Ebay loves me. I only have about 12 OPS but all Lidstrom curves from all different vendors. I rotate those every game and never use the same OPS 2 games in a row. MSH is the crack house of hockey gear whores. Once you step inside, there is no getting out!

its a real problem!

Im addicted to buying, sticks, gloves and helmets!

The only reason I have is cause I wanted to lol

i have really bad GAS ( hockeydog beat me to it )

I used to be the same way when I played. VHT's, Mesa's, Bogner ($$!!)....Spector basses were my weakness. A pricey vice if you ask me. Now that I don't play anymore, my compulsive spending habits have shifted to hockey gear. I was tempted looking at a nice Framus head the other night.

Right now, I'm trying stock up on '07 Fuel OPS' (clearance at Pure Hockey), and V-Hex OPS'..... I feel like I should sleep ontop of a pile of them like a hamster.

i have really bad GAS ( hockeydog beat me to it )

I used to be the same way when I played. VHT's, Mesa's, Bogner ($$!!)....Spector basses were my weakness. A pricey vice if you ask me. Now that I don't play anymore, my compulsive spending habits have shifted to hockey gear. I was tempted looking at a nice Framus head the other night.

Right now, I'm trying stock up on '07 Fuel OPS' (clearance at Pure Hockey), and V-Hex OPS'..... I feel like I should sleep ontop of a pile of them like a hamster.

I sold off most of my old gear, 4 les pauls and a dual rectifier half stack were the hardest to let go. I still have half a dozen guitars and a couple tube combos but I have put that addiction on the back burner for a while now.

I've also cut way back on my hockey spending. I may have half a dozen R2 XN10 shafts sitting in the closet, but those will get used eventually and I got a great deal on them. I have managed to stop buying one of everything, just to try it all out. I've found things that I like and I'm sticking with them until they wear out. It's all just a matter of self control.

Man, I think we are all preaching to the choir. I think you HAVE to be a gear whore to be on MSH....... Golf clubs, and hockey gear are my weakness. Just bought a new Scotty Circa 62 putter today and two pairs of MaxPro's from Gary last week....... Maybe I will ride the same train to the Canucks equipment sale this Saturday....

I'm supposed to be working but I find myself checking this board quite frequently throughout the day. :D I'm partial to gloves and sticks... got a pair of Tacks 892's but they were a little tight breaking in so I went and got a pair of Vapor XX's and now I'm looking into either older Synergy 1100's off of ebay or new NBH pro-rolls or both and I don't know why.

I was convinced to try a OPS and loved them so now I have 2 ONE90's, a pro-stock Synergy, a XXX, and I'm probably gonna go get a Dolomite or a Synergy Elite. All in addition to my still functional army of about 5 or 6 Sherwoods and Kohos.

Man, I think we are all preaching to the choir. I think you HAVE to be a gear whore to be on MSH....... Golf clubs, and hockey gear are my weakness. Just bought a new Scotty Circa 62 putter today and two pairs of MaxPro's from Gary last week....... Maybe I will ride the same train to the Canucks equipment sale this Saturday....

I went and picked up a Callaway X460 driver last year for really no particular reason. All I can say is thank God the Rangers don't have equipment sales otherwise I'd be in trouble! They should have rehab for people like us....

I haven't gotten to the point where I am buying (totally) unnecesasary gear, but MSH has brought to my attention better gear than I was using before.

9k skates

Pro stock sticks, gloves and pants.

I'm up to 6 sticks, and 2 pairs of gloves.

Jersesy is my thing now...I've got quite a few (mostly hockey, but some NBA/NFL & MLB too) I always say "I'm done", but I end up looking at ebay and around here for deals all the time.

That's funny...I sold off all my music recording stuff to pay bills so I could learn to play hockey. At some point, I was obsessing over music gear to the point I no longer played, and just shopped for things. I buy and sell a good deal of hockey gear, but not nearly as much as I did with music, and at least I'm playing with it.

That said, I still drool over certain bits of equipment (like right now I really want some Tackla 5000's...).

I am definitely addicted to pro stock stick buying. Always looking for something new or different. I seem to be able to part with the low-use end of my collection as I buy new ones, and usually keep the herd to around 20-25 sticks (including a few multiples). Over the last few years, thanks to this site, I've probably bought 40+ sticks and sold a similar amount (many to members). It's really more of a hobby for me, but it sure doesn't help my game. I tend to stick to similar lies, but my sticks have a wide variety of curves. One night I might play with a sick Afanasenkov toe curve, and the next with a Druryish wedge. Not all that good for consistency.

I was a bit hooked on skates and gloves for a while too, but that calmed down thankfully (for now).

skates!! new pair every year.. and my feet hate me for it.!!

with you there bud cant stop thinking about new skates!!