Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

Supposedly there's never any sort of violence towards foreigners in Beijing and this was very isolated. That being said, the inhabitants of the cities have been said to be very turned off by the olympics. Anything is possible.

The political turmoil that China currently has is going to lead to some political unrest and dissimilation during the games. I can only hope that it remains nothing more than distrust towards other nationalities during the games and doesn't escalate into anything further.

But there is definitely a feeling of "unrest" to the entire olympics this year.

The swimming relay tonight, wow. Love that the dude who lost it for France was the guy who ran his mouth all day.

The French guy lost it by trying to gauge how close the US was. distracted him and they lost in a close touch. Really good relay and the US won by pushing hard and fast toward the end. We're upto two gold and three bronze. It's no suprise that China is dominating so far.

Ok, maybe I'm a bit slow, but I can't find a video (just slideshows) of the opening ceremonies. Anybody have a link or know if they are going to re-play it on tv?

Lol guys, here, in Quebec, they showed us the version with French (from france) commentary just to have a laugh. When the last guy jumped in, which is Alain Bernard (considered as one of the best in the world) the frenchs were like: It's over! France has won the relay!! Bernard can't be beaten! France has the gold! hahaha.

Anyway, i learned something interesting from a swimming expert today: if you look closely, you can see that the French swimmer made a mistake and swam VERY close to the american side. Lezak used his "wave" to get to him, that's part of the reason he was so fast. I'm not saying he didn't swim a wicked race here, it's just an interesting fact. Look at the vid, Bernard really is close to the american side.

Yeah, they were saying today that Bernard helped him, he more or less let Lezak draft off of him. He also looked over at Lezak 2-3 times in the last 10m, that couldn't have helped.

I still don't get why he looked over, should never happen at that level, especially in a olympic final where your going all out for a 100m's.

But still an absolutely amazing finnish by Lezak.

Imagine beeing one of the 3 frenchies standing helpless seeing your teammate get taken at the very last moment after a huge lead, heartbreaking.

Another insane thing is the 5th place team actually beat the old world record. :o How insane is it to beat the world record and then only finnish 5th.

Spain just looked TERRIBLE against China in basketball. They were supposed to be the USA's biggest challenge outside of Argentina.

How about the US Men getting bronze in gymnastics? Highly unexpected after loosing both of the Haam's, and then also this group....not one of them a prior olympian.

Big congratulations to them all.

I still don't get why he looked over, should never happen at that level, especially in a olympic final where your going all out for a 100m's.

But still an absolutely amazing finnish by Lezak.

Imagine beeing one of the 3 frenchies standing helpless seeing your teammate get taken at the very last moment after a huge lead, heartbreaking.

Another insane thing is the 5th place team actually beat the old world record. :o How insane is it to beat the world record and then only finnish 5th.

I know that when I was being taught how to sprint at High School they would tell us not to look at your sides as it puts you off your speed.

***SPOLIER***

I'm beginning to think that this Phelps character isn't human. Holy Crap!

Kind of annoying that the announcers (NBC) are calling him the winner as he dives in though...Christ guys at least wait 'til the half turn.

3 Golds...3 WR (and counting)

[EDIT] 4 Goals...4 WR

I heard this earlier today...Okay...maybe the IOC should have invited him...but if it means that much to him, but a damn ticket and fly yourself there. If you ask me (which I am aware no one has...) Spitz is just a cry baby with an over inflated ego.

"I never got invited. You don't go to the Olympics just to say, I am going to go. Especially because of who I am..."
"He's almost identical to me. He's a world-record holder in all these events, so he is dominating the events just like I did," Spitz said. "He reminds me of myself."