Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Going to college tomorrow....

So tomorrow is the day. Moving into my dorm. I am excited but very nervous about college. Specifically the difficulty of classes and such. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for someone just going in to college? I know its going to be fun, but it just feels weird right now. I really don't know how to explain it.

Don't snore in class, it's rude. Learn to wake up before the class ends and wait until after they take attendance to leave and/or fall asleep.

what school are you going to?

advice.....there is ALWAYS a party that you COULD go to.....be sure and be diligent and ensure that you get your studying done. a lot of your "friends" that you meet at first that are wanting to go to EVERY available party won't be there still in 2 semesters. ;)

I second the get your studying done, that for me in my first year was the worst, I slacked like it was high school and paid for it. My advice is to just stay on top of the work. Doing that made everything so much easier for me. If you can as lame as it sounds make a schedule for yourself to get the work done. More importantly enjoy it. I remember being unbearably nervous my first day in college, I'm going into my second year and I'm counting down the days til I go back. Best of luck!

what school are you going to?

advice.....there is ALWAYS a party that you COULD go to.....be sure and be diligent and ensure that you get your studying done. a lot of your "friends" that you meet at first that are wanting to go to EVERY available party won't be there still in 2 semesters. ;)

East Carolina University Spree.....

Im glad I am not the only one (which I knew I wouldnt be). Im realy excited, but like I said, I dont really know what to expect so I am really nervous.

Be ready for a step up in class work. Much more responsibility to get your work done. Stay on top of the work, get the help you need, and you'll be fine. Try and avoid that freshman 15 ;). Best of luck and have fun!

Does this mean we'll be seeing less of you around kovalchuk?

Hope everything turns out the best in the long run and that you have a blast.

I knew someone would say that. Sure its a party school, but I really went there for its medical program. You can party anywhere. I really wanted to go to Appalachian State, but they didn't have a medicine program which pissed me off.

And I will be on double the amount of time, just for JR. ;)

college is college... Budget your time, stay on top of your diet and studies.

My best advice for anyone going to college;

GET INVOLVED! I spent my first two years going to class, studying and hanging around. This last year I started joining groups and attending activities- it's much more fulfilling. Even if you end up not having time.

I also didn't touch beer/liquor or party much until midway through sophomore year. There is a borad spectrum of everyday freshman drunks to religious abstainers.

One of the best things about college is getting to do just about anything you can think of at least once and really get a bearing for what you love and want to do with your life.

What's your advice for those that have absolutely no clue what they want to do with their life as far as a degree goes? That's the problem I'm having, I'm currently in the business/economics field route but I feel like while it has it's advantages for being a sturdy field, it's so boring. I just, I guess am having a hard time deciding what I really want to do with my life and I mean I've talked to counselors and I've participated in summer internships trying to get an idea and it's just like nothing really gets me to want to go after a degree in that field. I just completed my freshman year last year so this will be my sophomore year.

Any advice?

make sure you buy a lot of purple shirts to wear around campus... oh and walk around campus with an acoustic guitar and a little puppy if you want to attract the women... man i wish i was still in college

I know, I was just messin with ya. I just hear it (along with the crappy acronyms for the E-C-U) SO much, its gets real old.

Kov I went to ECU myself...You will love Greenville...If you need any help give me a shout...

What's your advice for those that have absolutely no clue what they want to do with their life as far as a degree goes? That's the problem I'm having, I'm currently in the business/economics field route but I feel like while it has it's advantages for being a sturdy field, it's so boring. I just, I guess am having a hard time deciding what I really want to do with my life and I mean I've talked to counselors and I've participated in summer internships trying to get an idea and it's just like nothing really gets me to want to go after a degree in that field. I just completed my freshman year last year so this will be my sophomore year.

Any advice?

I would just keep doing what you're doing...keep working those summer internships and take different classes. There isn't much advice to give because only you will know what you want to do. If you have to, take some time off and work. It seemed to work for me.

Go to your classes and pay attention. Even if you party hard the night before, get your hungover ass up and make an appearance in class. At the least you'll get the homework and have some idea of what pages in the book you were trying to unblur and make legible while praying that your head stops pounding. That way in in a day or two when your back from the la la land you can play catch up.

The other thing I tried to do was do homework the same day it was assigned that way it didn't pile up. Prioritize like everyone said. I never liked to leave HW assignments to the next day because it never failed if I did my Tuesday classes would also pile on a shit ton of homework and I'd have Mondays assignments due for Wednesday as well as trying to get something huge done for Thursday.

Join some clubs or go to the on campus activities if they sound remotely like somethign worth checking out you can meet lots of people that way. Talk to everyone and be nice to everyone and you'll make alot of friends quickly.

The weekend starts Friday, NOT Thursday

Oh, last thing. Condoms. Spend the 5 bucks for a box.

Have fun everyone!

Condoms at student health only come in small, so unless you're... well you know.

Friday classes are for n00bs.

Never buy a book unless you are 100% sure you are going to need it. Every professor will tell you that you need 4 books for their class, I've NEVER had to use more than 2 MAX. Most of my classes I havent needed to touch a book. Why read the book the night before if you're going to listen to the lecture the test is based on?

Tri(try) Delta, nuff said. :D

Sorority girls have fun and travel in packs of 10, just sayin. ;)

Have fun the first two years, like I told you... The first two years arent about classes, they're about being social and learning about yourself. The classes won't be difficult, the professors aren't going to kick your ass but many will try to scare you... The third year is when things start to get more difficult, have fun and slack off when you can... but prioritize.

Lastly, avoid redheads and female soccer players.

P.S. Pretend you're Jewish, you dont have to go to class as often. There's ALWAYS a holiday.

Friday classes are tricky.

If its a teacher that gives points for showing up you better go. Missing all those fridays can drop a letter grade easy.

I also missed a lot of announcments about quizzes on Monday by not going to Friday classes.

But hey to each his own, I did a hella lot of slacking and left with a GPA under 2.5--Biggest waste of money.

Never trusted the off brand condoms in the health center, sheetz was right across the street.

Just trying to help the freshmen out by not reliving all of my mistakes haha.

Any advice?

Yeah, don't worry so much about it. I went to undergrad as a computer science major, switched a couple of times, then graduated with communications- electronic media. Went back and got a second bachelors in computer science. Now I'm 34 and starting my MBA. You can rarely plan exactly what you will do the rest of your life. Find something you are interested in, once you get a job you can move around in the company if it's big enough.

All sorts of great advice out here...and then some not so great advice (redheads are my favorite! I had this one that was a witch at halloween...shit she was fun). Anyways, join some sort of organization (frat...student government...whatever) it doesnt really matter much in the end, they are around so everyone can party and meet people in the end. Im not going to say bang every girl you get a chance to....but dont turn down an attractive girl, even if you are dating some girl, it wont last, and then it will be too late. Jimmy hat's for the win. Thursday night is college night, I hope you dont have alot of friday morning classes.

On the classes issue: Obviously youre going to try to go to medical school, and you will need good grades. Go to EVERY class, no exceptions, first couple of days of class get someones number in case you do miss class, and then you will be able to hit them up for the notes etc. Just plan ahead, dont let things sneak up on you, I got a big calender that I could write every assignment on, and that way I could look at what I had for the week etc (really helped). TBL was right, dont go buy every book listed for the class, go to class the first day (you wont need your books) and look at the syllabus...sometimes you can just get away with borrowing someones book (might only need it once).

Also, Zeta's hold their crown while they go down (sorostitutes are great).

Zach

Zach

Lastly, avoid redheads and female soccer players.

Pffft, maybe I'll agree on the redhead comment but you don't wanna limit yourself at college, thunder thighs!

My ex played soccer for the school and I knew all the girls... Female soccer players are no good, FUN, but no good.

BUT track and field and vball always have their winners. Also, you gotta get in good with a cheerleader and/or a member of the dance team. For 3 years I had a captain of the dance team. She'd show me the beginning of the year photo and I'd pick out which ones I liked. She gave me the dirt: single, practically married, whore, skank, single, borderline retarded, etc... Now she just does it for the AFL Tampa Bay Storm cheerleaders... :( Married, married, married with kid, married but cheats, etc. lol

FireonIce, the trick is to not schedule a Friday class. I had maybe 2 classes EVER that weren't 2 days or less a week.