Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBert

2008 US Election Thread

The republican national convention is churning out propaganda at an astonishing rate right now, it almost makes me sick to listen to some of the "facts" put forward by this party. I along with the entire free world am hoping that McCain will be defeated come November.

Bristol (daughter) Is Pregnant!!! RIGHT ON!!

17 years old, unwed, that'll look really good to the southern "morals" voters. But, have no fear, 90% of them still probably wouldn't vote for a black man.

The more I think about it the more I think the teenage daughter being pregnant might be somewhat helpful (albeit very slightly). Palin is very pro life, and seeing that her daughter made the decision to keep her child has to impress many pro lifers. Her daughter is the prime candidate for an abortion (unwed, in high school, plus has the potential to ruin her mom's career, etc), yet she chose to keep it. Teenage pregnancy is a problem that resonates with many American families. This whole thing I think can be spun to make it look like Palin and her family have a lot of "everyday Americanness" in them (for lack of a better word), and that they handle tough situations in a way that they feel is morally superior. Plus the fact that its Palin's family means that there is still a little distance from McCain.

Her daughter does not even equate to the average underage, pregnant girl in America. I would keep the kid too, if I had the chance to be a VP's kid who can have nay nanny and all the help I need. If her and her boyfriend get into financial trouble you can bet they will get bailed out by mommy, unlike the average American girl. There's a high probability that if mom wasn't powerful the daughter's decision would be different.

The republican national convention is churning out propaganda at an astonishing rate right now, it almost makes me sick to listen to some of the "facts" put forward by this party. I along with the entire free world am hoping that McCain will be defeated come November.

My honest complaint is that both sides suck. McCain is now another ordinary run of the mill far right-wing sell out who gave up much of his maverick thinking and bipartisanship in order to get the nomination. I would love for the John McCain of 1998 to debate the McCain of 2008, he would clean his own clock. As far as Obama's concerned, the problem is that he's another politically correct pussy who insists on cramming the far left agenda of never ending affirmative action and government knows best right down our throats. In a nutshell, I hate them both so very, very much.

BTW, Jason wins the award for best use of the word vulva within a political context.

Mack, I forgot to post this earlier, but I think it's important to note that no one is begrudging her lack of experience, because she never ran for President. What we are begrudging is the lack of judgement displayed by a 72-year-old man with three instances of melanoma choosing an inexperienced Vice-Presidential solely because he seemed to think people with vulvas would vote for people with vulvas even when said person with a vulva has expressed ideas in the past that are contrary to most of those with vulvas.

That said, as long as the candidate has enough experience, it doesn't matter how much experience they have. At that point, it's just a question of issues.

17 years old, unwed, that'll look really good to the southern "morals" voters. But, have no fear, 90% of them still probably wouldn't vote for a black man.

The more I think about it the more I think the teenage daughter being pregnant might be somewhat helpful (albeit very slightly). Palin is very pro life, and seeing that her daughter made the decision to keep her child has to impress many pro lifers. Her daughter is the prime candidate for an abortion (unwed, in high school, plus has the potential to ruin her mom's career, etc), yet she chose to keep it. Teenage pregnancy is a problem that resonates with many American families. This whole thing I think can be spun to make it look like Palin and her family have a lot of "everyday Americanness" in them (for lack of a better word), and that they handle tough situations in a way that they feel is morally superior. Plus the fact that its Palin's family means that there is still a little distance from McCain.

It could also be spun that one of her and McCain's platforms -- abstinence only education -- doesn't work.

I have to wonder if she now knows what the VP does?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9pnzQ96kWA

Kind of important don't you think?

Note to Sarah: It's kind of like the Lt. Governor.

So, what, it's okay that McCain has skipped out on the job even more the past two years because of his track record?

It's the nature of the beast for campaigning, so I'm more concerned about their platforms -- as everyone should be.

Not to mention voting with Bush 90% of the time. The latest issue of the Economist put it best, right on the cover... "Bring Back the Real McCain"

When McCain ran the last time against Bush, I had respect for him. McCain is no longer a Maverick like he claims. He is now a GW Bush clone. Who admits he doesn't know enough about economics. I personally don't think a guy who can't remember how many houses he owns is in touch with my middle class needs.

Tout inexperience all you want, but JFK was only a one term senator when he ran too and he is generally regarded as one of our greatest presidents.

The night in a nutshell was Huckabee raised interesting points for McCain and against Obama in a professional light. "Rudy", on the other hand, showed himself to be a complete asshat. What a tool.

The only other person I saw was Palin. The first part of her speach was pretty annoying but the rest was much better. She did ALOT better than I thought.

It was also nice to see talk other than the military and war. Very important subjects but I question McCain's expertise beyond that.

Just my opinion that has no intent on changing anyones mind on anything. No matter who you like just vote! This is the most important election in ANY of our lifetimes.

Do we really want a president who's excuse for everything is "I was a POW damn it!" Even Palin played McCain's POW card in her speech. Being held captive in a POW camp and beaten does not qualify you for the presidency.

I love the remark about how Obama hasn't run anything. The ironic part is neither has McCain, not even a military command. The guy was shot down on his first mission.

I would love to have a viable third party candidate. American's need to realize that real change is a third party.

Her daughter does not even equate to the average underage, pregnant girl in America. I would keep the kid too, if I had the chance to be a VP's kid who can have nay nanny and all the help I need. If her and her boyfriend get into financial trouble you can bet they will get bailed out by mommy, unlike the average American girl. There's a high probability that if mom wasn't powerful the daughter's decision would be different.

If you think about it rationally the first thought should be "this has great potential to ruin her career", not "everything will be solved because my mom will be VP". She is five months pregnant, she would have had an abortion a long time ago most likely, way before her mom was announced as the candidate. Her mom chose to birth a child with Downs Syndrome, another classic case where those on the fence of abortion understand having one. Its ridiculous (not to mention pointless) to extrapolate and basically slander a 17 year old girl's life, family, and most importantly values under the pretense of "what if her mom had been a nobody".

Rudy, Romney, Huckabee, Palin, all would be better presidents than the great faker Obama. Come on Liberals, can't you come up with someone who at least is competent. Competent in anything. The great community organizer Obama has done nothing. More time as a campaigner than as a senator. Americans will realize this come the time to pull the lever. At least Jimmy Carter achieved something and was a man of integrity. Incompetent yes, but a good man. Only reason Obama got the nomination was because Hillary was hated so much.

As for McCain, as a Naval Officer he has more executive experience than Obama and Biden combined, and more than any of the democratic candidates, yes even Hillary. His 22yr career blows away anything any of the democrats can claim.

MCCain/Palin 2008

Palin 2016

Jimmy

CDR USN (retired)

I love the remark about how Obama hasn't run anything. The ironic part is neither has McCain, not even a military command.

McCain commanded VA-174, the largest squadron in the U.S. Navy.

The guy was shot down on his first mission.

McCain was shot down on his 23rd mission.

Do we really want a president who's excuse for everything is "I was a POW damn it!" Even Palin played McCain's POW card in her speech. Being held captive in a POW camp and beaten does not qualify you for the presidency.

I love the remark about how Obama hasn't run anything. The ironic part is neither has McCain, not even a military command. The guy was shot down on his first mission.

I would love to have a viable third party candidate. American's need to realize that real change is a third party.

You're preaching to the choir buddy. This two party nightmare really needs to end. Both parties are way, way extreme. The right side is beholden to the extreme religious zealots and the left is controlled by a bunch of pc pansies. Can we not start a common sense/no corruption party?

The right side is beholden to the extreme religious zealots and the left is controlled by a bunch of pc pansies.

The fundies have never liked McCain

You're preaching to the choir buddy. This two party nightmare really needs to end. Both parties are way, way extreme. The right side is beholden to the extreme religious zealots and the left is controlled by a bunch of pc pansies. Can we not start a common sense/no corruption party?

Its funny you say that because the two parties are actually really similar. Of course there are things they will never agree on (size of government, abortion, taxes), but in the bigger picture they're both moderate parties. The fact that they're so similar in most major things only leads to the stability of the two party system. If the right is controlled by religious zealots, like Chadd said why is McCain the nominee? Obama fits the stereotype for a Democrat this year, but I'm sure a little research would show instances where there have been unDemocratic leaders in the party.

Man. I watched as much as I could but that wasn't very easy to sit through. It comes off as the DNC was talking to the country; the RNC was talking to the people right there.

So, what, it's okay that McCain has skipped out on the job even more the past two years because of his track record?

It's the nature of the beast for campaigning, so I'm more concerned about their platforms -- as everyone should be.

Not to mention voting with Bush 90% of the time. The latest issue of the Economist put it best, right on the cover... "Bring Back the Real McCain"

When McCain ran the last time against Bush, I had respect for him. McCain is no longer a Maverick like he claims. He is now a GW Bush clone. Who admits he doesn't know enough about economics. I personally don't think a guy who can't remember how many houses he owns is in touch with my middle class needs.

Tout inexperience all you want, but JFK was only a one term senator when he ran too and he is generally regarded as one of our greatest presidents.

How is that possible, Bush does not have a vote in the house or the senate unless I'm mistaken....

If you are going to post, at least back up your assertions with evidence. McCain's POW experience is not an excuse, it's an example of someone who suffered through a hardship most people couldn't even imagine.

You aren't even close on your "facts" about what McCain has run or when he was shot down. A simple Google search would have done wonders. Thanks for playing.

Your assertion is pure speculation. Having a baby pretty much ends her childhood and it is a very serious decision no matter what economic bracket you are in.

How is that possible, Bush does not have a vote in the house or the senate unless I'm mistaken....

No, Bush does not have his own vote. McCain votes in agreement with Bush and Cheney's position. Last I checked, the president does have positions on issues.

If you are going to post, at least back up your assertions with evidence. McCain's POW experience is not an excuse, it's an example of someone who suffered through a hardship most people couldn't even imagine.

You aren't even close on your "facts" about what McCain has run or when he was shot down. A simple Google search would have done wonders. Thanks for playing.

Her daughter does not even equate to the average underage, pregnant girl in America. I would keep the kid too, if I had the chance to be a VP's kid who can have any nanny and all the help I need. If her and her boyfriend get into financial trouble you can bet they will get bailed out by mommy, unlike the average American girl. There's a high probability that if mom wasn't powerful the daughter's decision would be different.

Your assertion is pure speculation. Having a baby pretty much ends her childhood and it is a very serious decision no matter what economic bracket you are in.

You state the being a POW is not an excuse, yet McCain uses it as one. He deflects every issue he can with some story about Hanoi. You should take your own suggestion and Google it.

On his military record, I'll let you make the decision. I should has said his first real mission. He was a training officer most of his career. Again take your own advice, google it. Read his own story in US News.

On the issue of the baby, I said high probability. That does not guarantee the decision would have been different, but there is certainly a chance it would be different.

To quote you "Thanks for playing"

Man. I watched as much as I could but that wasn't very easy to sit through. It comes off as the DNC was talking to the country; the RNC was talking to the people right there.

The thing that turned me off was that and the overall feeling of if you dont agree with us your stupid or wrong. It felt like there was a lot of preaching going on. I am one of "those" people on the fence and they have done little to reach me so far. I do like Mike Huckabee though he will not have an impact over the next four years.

I am still waiting on any type of specifics about economy, health plans or energy. Keeping taxes at the same level as they are now are not helping and drilling will not reap any rewards of value any time soon.

Again I am just posting my view with respect to others who do not agree. Key term is respect.

MCCain/Palin 2008

Palin 2016

That's a bit of a stretch. No way McCain is alive in 8 yrs.

Was it just me or did the camera at the RNC always focus on the 7 black people in the crowd?

You state the being a POW is not an excuse, yet McCain uses it as one. He deflects every issue he can with some story about Hanoi. You should take your own suggestion and Google it.

On his military record, I'll let you make the decision. I should has said his first real mission. He was a training officer most of his career. Again take your own advice, google it. Read his own story in US News.

On the issue of the baby, I said high probability. That does not guarantee the decision would have been different, but there is certainly a chance it would be different.

Show me an example of how he "deflected an issue", whatever that means.

Again, as has been pointed out before, it was his 23rd bombing mission over North Vietnam. He was also hit in the chest and legs with shrapnel while helping a fellow pilot out of a burning plane. After coming home from being a POW he was the commanding officer of a training squadron, which lasted just over 4 years. That's not "most of his career", since he was in for 20 years.

Show me an example of how he "deflected an issue", whatever that means.

Again, as has been pointed out before, it was his 23rd bombing mission over North Vietnam. He was also hit in the chest and legs with shrapnel while helping a fellow pilot out of a burning plane. After coming home from being a POW he was the commanding officer of a training squadron, which lasted just over 4 years. That's not "most of his career", since he was in for 20 years.

Easy. The David Letterman issue when he was asked about his houses and the response was around his war experience.

Seriously. BOTH candidates have their set of issues which always happens. Decide on who you want to vote for based on your value system and what is important to you. Who ever you vote for dont be blind to the pro's and con's of a candidate.

The POW experience shows McCain's commitment. He could have folded and sold out his fellow captives and denounced his own country for preferential treatment but he didn't. How many of us would have the will and courage to do the same?