Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBert

2008 US Election Thread

I'm not sure Palin meant for her statement to be taken out of context. It was supposed to be humorous I suppose..Hockey moms can be a bit overbearing. I'm sure you've had experience with them...They're usually the loudest people in the arena

I'm not sure Palin meant for her statement to be taken out of context. It was supposed to be humorous I suppose..Hockey moms can be a bit overbearing. I'm sure you've had experience with them...They're usually the loudest people in the arena

I agree with you, Palin meant it to be humorous. She could have probably said it better though. I know very few ladies, hockey moms or otherwise, that like being compared to dogs in any way.

I agree with you, Palin meant it to be humorous. She could have probably said it better though. I know very few ladies, hockey moms or otherwise, that like being compared to dogs in any way.

It's ok to say things like that about any group you are a part of. If she didn't have a kid playing hockey and said that about hockey moms, it would be insulting. As it is, it was self deprecating.

Still not getting the analogy, eh. That's ok, the ones in the crowd loved it.

No, I get it. She's mean like a pit bull. It's not tough to get it. My point is there are people that see it another way. The people at the convention love whatever comes out of the nominees mouth.

No, I get it. She's mean like a pit bull. It's not tough to get it. My point is there are people that see it another way. The people at the convention love whatever comes out of the nominees mouth.

Instantly came to mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYCMxD4pylM

Instantly came to mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYCMxD4pylM

That's about the truth. Pretty funny too.

Was watching McCain's speech last night...how long is he going to play the POW card. Yes, he suffered for his country but what does that have to do with being President. If it qualifies you for the job then there are alot of other people out there that can do it. Enough, state your policies and what your plans are and stop the "When I was a POW" evertime you don't have an answer or want to deflect the question.

Cindy McCain also said she was a hockey mom.

Ironically enough, spare a few regions, America can't identify with hockey moms. Hockey is essentially an elitist sport in this country - the average hockey family makes twice the US income average.

chk_hrd - yeah - agreed, almost made me feel un-American because I didn't serve.

Cindy McCain also said she was a hockey mom.

Ironically enough, spare a few regions, America can't identify with hockey moms. Hockey is essentially an elitist sport in this country - the average hockey family makes twice the US income average.

chk_hrd - yeah - agreed, almost made me feel un-American because I didn't serve.

That is the truth. It costs a lot to have kids playing hockey.

Once again, is there any doubt McCain is going to try to use the POW excuse all the way to the White House? I do give him credit though for not insulting much and actually saying he has respect for Obama. My biggest problem with the speech though is that he basically said the same things that Bush did when Bush was running. "I'm a reformer, I'll get rid of corruption and I'm a uniter that reaches across the aisle," we all know how well that worked out. I voted for GW Bush the first time not his second term, I Just don't know that I can believe the republicans again. I also find it hard to believe that after all the money the special interests have given McCain that he will suddenly send them all packing after he is sworn in. I'm not saying Obama is perfect either, I'm just think the republicans had an 8 year chance with a republican congress and senate, now it's time to give the dems a chance.

My taxes being raised is a change I can live without.

www.factcheck.org

IF each nominee were to get there tax plans through Congress without modificiation, it seems, baced on what has been published so far, that Obama's plan will cause more Americans to pay less taxes than McCain's.

Depends on how you see it I guess.. So how much more of the tab will wealthy/upper middle class Americans pay under Obama's new plan?

In the bluntest sense I am not one of them, so I do not care.

In the more realistic sense SOMEONE has to pay taxes, and, if the government will not cut spending, more people have to pay more taxes. Since taxing buisness is EVIL individuals have to pay the taxes.

Since most Americans see themselves as middle class if you push taxes towards the rich most Americans feel less irritated by higher taxes since they are not paying it.

Still wrong.

Still wrong.

Ok... What do you think she meant?

That she is fiery, fiesty, not someone to make angry, someone who isn't afraid of a fight and won't back down once the battle is on.

Pretty much what I meant by mean. I could have been a bit more wordy about it.

Turning this from strictly the VP discussion to the election in general, the U.S. debt increase from $161 billion to $407 billion last year.

Based on previous posts, I don't think it's as simple as saying Candidate X will raise taxes or Candidate Y will cut spending, since overall taxes are lower today than when Bush entered office, yet by almost any measure, the majority of Americans have been worse off financially over these eight years. Basically, each of us has to guess whose policies are going to lead better financial health for the majority of us.

Turning this from strictly the VP discussion to the election in general, the U.S. debt increase from $161 billion to $407 billion last year.

Based on previous posts, I don't think it's as simple as saying Candidate X will raise taxes or Candidate Y will cut spending, since overall taxes are lower today than when Bush entered office, yet by almost any measure, the majority of Americans have been worse off financially over these eight years. Basically, each of us has to guess whose policies are going to lead better financial health for the majority of us.

That is your deficit, not the debt.

Your final statement is bang on however. Fiscal policy is frankly too boring and way too complicated for most people to understand, so there's no point in campaigning on it. You win elections with flowery speeches or good looking running mates with rimless glasses, not well thought out policies on how to manage the economy. If you want to vote on a candidate's fiscal merit, you end up really taking a shot in the dark and at best hoping to make an educated guess.

That is your deficit, not the debt.

Your final statement is bang on however. Fiscal policy is frankly too boring and way too complicated for most people to understand, so there's no point in campaigning on it. You win elections with flowery speeches or good looking running mates with rimless glasses, not well thought out policies on how to manage the economy. If you want to vote on a candidate's fiscal merit, you end up really taking a shot in the dark and at best hoping to make an educated guess.

Exactly true. Our overall national debt exceeds $7 trillion. Most people are too vapid and short sighted to even grasp the underlying bases of fiscal theory. I don't seriously think the candidates understand it either. Taking a shot in the dark is the right way to describe it. The Fed and Secretary of Treasury arguably are more responsible for the financial health of most Americans than any politician.

I did see a campaign button (or a button someone made up) on the Metro home yesterday (I'm in the DC area, people like bumper stickers and political season paraphenalia!!!)

It was

Attention Sarah Palin

Jesus Christ was a Community Organizer

Pontius Pilate was a Governor

I had a laugh at that.

Regarding healthcare, both candidates have previously said they would favor implementing re-importation of drugs from canada. If they do this, it sets the table to capping what the big pharmaceutical companies can charge for their drugs.

It's a public health issue, not a free market issue. The USA is the only country that lets the open market decide the price of medications. So, basically, americans are subsidising every other developed countries prescriptions.

IF they cap the price, it will drastically reduce healthcare costs. I work as the operations manager for a non profit health insurance company. Our prescriptions costs have gone from being about 12% of total cost to 30% in 6 years, and will continue to rise. Cutting prescription costs is a start, and a big one at that, so I hope whichever candidate gets in, they stick to this particular pledge.

You don't hear much on the trail about it, because it's actually one thing they both have similar ideas on, so doesn't make for a nice smear job soundbite

Good luck getting pharma caps in place. The costs associated with trials and FDA approval will make it cost prohibitive for the drug companies to bother coming up with new medicines.