Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009 Washington Capitals thread

What were people opinions of Alzner and Bourque in pre-season?

My personal opinion is that the reason they are down in Hershey is not hockey reasons.

Alzner had a steady camp, not spectacular, but his final pre-season game against the flyers he was excellent. I think he will be fantastic in the AHL. But there is an out clause in the CBA this year, meaning the normal 7.5% bonus cushion is not in play.

He has a $1.675 cap hit with bonus this year, so was a cap move, not a hockey move.

Bourque said at the start of training camp he wanted to make the big team. Honestly, he worked as hard or harder than anyone else in camp, either in the skating drills or the pre-season games. He scored goals, got assists, played D, went into the corners, he even checked Chara (who seems like he is about 5 foot taller!!!)

But, he is waiver exempt, and Eric Fehr, who had a middling camp by all accords, is not, so he was kept up and Bourque was sent down.

D-men generally take longer to develop, so I've got no problem with Alzner getting a year in down at Hershey with some injury time callup, but Bourque I feel really bad for. HE earned a spot, but because he has another year of waiver eligibilty he was sent down. I really hope to see him get a call up again soon, he deserves it.

Having Alzner play 20+ minutes a night in Hershey is better for his development than playing 8-10 in Washington.

he even checked Chara (who seems like he is about 5 foot taller!!!)

Highlight of my preseason viewing! Chara looked like he was taken by such surprise. And +1 to Chadd, considering Alzner hasn't played a minute of "professional" hockey yet, Hershey definitely cannot hurt. Hope to see him and Bourque soon though!

From watching Bourque the last couple of years in the "A", I can't say I have been impressed. He's a decent "A" player but I haven't seen NHL ability.

From watching Bourque the last couple of years in the "A", I can't say I have been impressed. He's a decent "A" player but I haven't seen NHL ability.

I think he really wants it now. I haven't seen much of him apart from when the local sports show does a clip inhershey, or what he's been like here.

But he looked good in camp, played well in preseason, even against other teams more nhl-like rosters, and worked hard.

I've got no clue about the kid but what I read, he seems to have the passion for it if accounts are to be believed, that's a good start.

But, will be a while now, with the caps already having spares with Fehr/Gordon on the big club

Lineups for tonights opener against the Thrashers (Oct 10)

Injuries

Atlanta Thrashers

Right wing Mike Hoffman has a broken right hand and is out for 10-14 days.

Washington

Defenseman Brian Pothier has a concussion and is out indefinitely.

Possible Line Combos and Defensive Pairings

Atlanta Forwards

17-Kovalchuk, 12-White, 14-Williams

13-S. Kozlov, 9-Christensen, 20-Armstrong

11-Perrin, 19-Reasoner, 21-Sterling

36-Boulton, 23-Slater, 27-Thorburn

Atlanta Defensemen

28-Havelid, 39-Enstrom

2-Exelby, 6-Hainsey

4-Bogosian, 18-Schneider

Goaltenders

1-Hedberg, 32-Lehtonen

Washington Forwards

8-Ovechkin, 19-Backstrom, 25-V. Kozlov

21-Laich, 91-Fedorov, 28-Semin

14-Fleischmann, 92-Nylander, 17-Clark

87-Brashear, 39-Steckel, 10-Bradley

Washington Defensemen

26-Morrisonn, 52-Green

3-Poti, 4-Erskine

23-Jurcina, 55-Schultz

Goaltenders

1-Johnson, 60-Theodore

Also, PP lineups...

The power play units heading into the opener will be as follows:

1) Ovechkin and Fedorov on the point, Kozlov on the wall, Laich in front and Semin on the goal line.

2) Ovechkin and Green on the point, Nylander on the wall, Clark in front and Backstrom on the goal line. (This unit figures to be as good as most team's first PP, so long as someone can win a faceoff.)

I'm trying to find out if Johnny or Theodore will start tonight, as they are on the road. Johnny started on the road last year, and Olie took the home opener.

Same as last year, they start with back to back games, home and away, then a third game in 4 days with the nucks in town monday.

WOOOOOHOOOOOO, HOCKEY TIME!!!!

i was so frustrated last year not being able to watch any caps games, cause i was living away at school. I ordered Centre ice and now i feel like i died and went to heaven.

Congrats to Johnny on his 100th career DUBya tonight against the 'Nucks. Anyone there that was also at Gary Bettman's "chalk-talk" a couple hours prior to the game in sections 116 and 117?

Congrats to Johnny on his 100th career DUBya tonight against the 'Nucks. Anyone there that was also at Gary Bettman's "chalk-talk" a couple hours prior to the game in sections 116 and 117?

I was at the game, I was actually in Section 116, row O for it, but I didn't go to the chalk talk. Met a couple of guys at Bar Louie ($3 draft, any draft and they have some good beer on tap) for pre-gaming.

I have to say, the caps won last night in spite of Jeff Schultz. He is absolutely terrible. He just makes so many mistakes that are otherwise covered by the team, so he gets a pass.

But a great game by the forwards, and great to see johnny get win 100. I don't take my camera to the games anymore, but did get a snap of the guys with Johnny after.

The guy I was with last night is a former minor league GM, and he reckons that Johnny will be the starter by the end of the year

I have to say, the caps won last night in spite of Jeff Schultz. He is absolutely terrible. He just makes so many mistakes that are otherwise covered by the team.

Agreed, but I have to mention a couple of Federov's butchered clearing passes that were either picked up by a teammate or resulted in a failed 'Nuck shot that was either tipped or just shot well wide/high. Glad to see his 3rd star selection because he had some nice set-ups but a couple of those breakouts near killed me.

give it time, he isnt a natural D yet.

I don't want to give it time. I like the fact that when fedorov is playing center the caps can roll three lines who are legitimate scoring threats as well as great forecheckers

Ovey-Backstrom-Kozlov

Laich-Nylander-Semin

Flash-Fedorov-Clark

And a damn good checking/bruiser line with

Brashear-Steckel-Bradley

With Kozlov out of the lineup, Fehr will get his chances, but if they keep fehr on D, that keeps Gordon as the 3rd line center. He is good on faceoffs, and defensively responsible, but has hands of stone (comparatively) and doesn't create as many scoring chances, which makes the third line more of a checking line, and means the balanced scoring the caps were looking for shifts in burden back to the top 2 lines.

The problem is it seems that when Feds is in the line up, Nylander seems to get moved down to the third line. I would think with how Nylander has played in the first couple games, people in Washington now remember why we signed him and how good he is as a playmaker

The problem of moving Fedorov to 3rd line is breaking him up with Semin and since he was signed as a "mentor" for other ruskies it would create a problem. Caps problem now is they got too much good talent, a nice problem to have :P . All those players were used to 15+ min of ice time and now there isn't enough to go around, coach now has to figure out how to keep everyone happy.

I just caught the tail end of a feature on one of the sports channels, Sportsnet I think...they were saying that Fedorov is moving to "D". Has that happened...? Will that happen? Any updates?

How does taking Federov off of the second line prevent him from mentoring the Russian kids?

Well I would assume he talks to Semin as they skate (probably in Russian since I think Semin still not talking English), directing people, giving sort of on the job training. It just wouldn't be the same if he did it from the bench as the guys skated by.