Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009 Washington Capitals thread

I highly doubt he follows the north american media very much. They built the hype about crosby, he just sees a good hockey player and doesnt know why everyones got a hard on for crosby

I thought Grapes had a pretty good point last night during CC (and take it with a grain of salt, its about Canadians vs. Euros). He said that its ridiculous for Semin to say that when Crosby has done so much to promote the league, making the argument that in the summer Crosby travels and helps spread the game while Semin is back in Russia not helping at all. I think its well known on here that I'm far from a Crosby fanboy, but there is some truth to that statement. I live in a very unfriendly hockey market. If I asked anyone I know who the best player in the NHL is, the overwhelming majority would say Crosby. Ovechkin might get a few votes, too. But I guarantee you nobody would mention Semin because nobody knows him. There is no doubt Semin is playing great right now, and he better hope that he continues to play this well. If he tails off this season you can only imagine how much shit he'll get. Its easy to talk shit when things are going well, but we'll see if he can back it up for an entire season. It could turn out like this:

Malik who issued the declaration that ranks with the year's best sports quotes: "I want to Carmelo-ize Oregon."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m120...228/ai_n8702671

and we all wonder why an interview with a hockey player is so bland..... I think the league would be better off if everyone spoke their mind without fear of a backlash from the media all over NA

Kosydar you just provided a perfect example for Semins reasoning. And what sources do you have to state that Semin doesn't do anything at home to promote the game?

I have none. That part is Cherry's reasoning (although I do somewhat agree with it). Like I said before I like that he did this. It will certainly be another story line to watch develop this season. But I think its important to note that this was said ~10 games into the season. Check back on it after 82 (and the playoffs). Its easy to say that now, but will he be able to say it after the season is over? I can't say that I've ever followed Semin closely, but isn't consistency one of his pronounced flaws? I agree with some of what he said though. One thing that sticks in my mind is the Leafs/Pens game earlier this year. Crosby had 4 points I believe (a shitty goal and three assists, two of them nice passes but the third was nothing special), and I remember thinking that he was hardly noticeable out there. Normally when a player has 4 points in a game he plays "better" (for lack of a better word) than Crosby did that night. Also, whoever the interviewer was is a complete retard and needed to get off Semin's nuts.

Apparently Bruce decided to run the boys into the ground today, here are some photos from practice...

http://capsinpictures.blogspot.com/2008/11...ember-2008.html

Blogger from A View From the Cheap Seats made a great point...The last time the Caps were beaten 5-0 they went on an 8-0 run. Here is to hoping with the jolt of Ovechkin's return that lightning will strike twice!

But I think its important to note that this was said ~10 games into the season. Check back on it after 82 (and the playoffs). Its easy to say that now, but will he be able to say it after the season is over? I can't say that I've ever followed Semin closely, but isn't consistency one of his pronounced flaws? I agree with some of what he said though. One thing that sticks in my mind is the Leafs/Pens game earlier this year. Crosby had 4 points I believe (a shitty goal and three assists, two of them nice passes but the third was nothing special), and I remember thinking that he was hardly noticeable out there. Normally when a player has 4 points in a game he plays "better" (for lack of a better word) than Crosby did that night.

Imagine how many points Crosby could get when he is 'noticeable' (although I can't fathom how a 4 point night isn't noticeable). Of course we all know I'm a pens fan but to be as unbiased as I can, I know guys 'quietly' have a good game or what not but in my opinion anyone who puts up 4 points in a game is noticeable. The 2 passes he made to the back door on those PP goals were thread the needle type passes that IMO no more than 10-15 players in the game could make on a consistent basis, so that, to me, makes those assists noticeable or having an impact.

Not sure what Semin is talking about with dump and chase. Crosby likes to chip it past a guy and go right around him and pick the puck up on the other side, but thats hardly dumping it. Sid also has as much razzle dazzle as just about anyone when he wants to do it.

I guess though, like you said, we shall see where the two stack up at the end of the season. In my opinion as an overall package Semin isn't close to Ovechkin, Malkin, or Crosby.

Inter, did you come on saturday? We had a few new faces, so wasn't sure if you made it?

My God I completely forgot. I'm so sorry Smoke I jetted home for the election on Friday and completely forgot the game (it was on my calender at school). I really hope I didn't spoil a spot for anyone else that wanted to come out, I'd love to play next time. A belated sorry my friend... but if I had come, I would've been the guy asking everyone if they were Allsmokenopancake!

Lineups for tonights game against the Canes. Caps need a dominating win, to get back on track, and because it's against their tightest competition in the SE

Johnson getting his 2nd consecutive start in goal

Washington Forwards

8-Ovechkin, 19-Backstrom, 25-Kozlov

14-Fleischmann, 92-Nylander, 28-Semin

21-Laich, 91-Fedorov, 10-Bradley

87-Brashear, 15-Gordon, 17-Clark

Washington Defensemen

55-Schultz, 52-Green

26-Morrisonn, 3-Poti

4-Erskine, 23-Jurcina

Carolina Forwards

18-Bayda, 12-Staal, 13-Whitney

14-Samsonov, 17-Brind’Amour, 24-Walker

59-Larose, 63-Helminen, 15-Ruutu

28-Brookbank, 39-Dwyer, 44-Eaves

Carolina Defensemen

6-Gleason, 77-Corvo

4-Seidenberg, 7-Wallin

22-Melichar, 33-Babchuk

OK, Tarik at the post has just said that it's an all russian top line today at the morning skate.

Not sure if it's the world championship line of Ovey-Fedorov-Semin or if Kozlov stays on the top line with Feds and Ovey.

Will let you know when he updates it

Inter, did you come on saturday? We had a few new faces, so wasn't sure if you made it?

My God I completely forgot. I'm so sorry Smoke I jetted home for the election on Friday and completely forgot the game (it was on my calender at school). I really hope I didn't spoil a spot for anyone else that wanted to come out, I'd love to play next time. A belated sorry my friend... but if I had come, I would've been the guy asking everyone if they were Allsmokenopancake!

Don't worry about it, I'll let you know when the next one is. You missed a good time though, fun was had by all.

As for who I am, I am the guy on the right in this pic, laughing. I wear 18 for VA

http://www.putcanceronice.org/pcoitrophy.htm

Gavin

More fuel to the fire of the Caps/Pens rivalry.

Michel Thierren responds to what semin said about crosby

"Is he talking about the youngest guy to get 100 points in the history of the National Hockey League? Is he talking about the youngest guy to win the Hart Trophy and lead the league in scoring? Is he talking about the youngest captain in the National Hockey League to bring his team to the Stanley Cup Final? That's all I have to say."

Tyler Sloan recalled from Hershey, meaning Mo's injury is going to keep him out tonight.

Backstrom had a good game last time. Ovey had 3 primary assists, and a good game too. Fedorov is on the top line with ovey and semin.

I'm going to ruin my future in tarot card reading with this, and say the caps are going to blow the rags out of the water, 8-2, Ovey will kickstart his season good and proper tonight

Looks like Boudreau is benching the captain.....

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

Boudreau: Clark Is Injured (Updated)

Coach Bruce Boudreau shed a little light on the Chris Clark situation, saying, "he has an undisclosed injury at this point. ...It's best that he sits out a game."

Boudreau also said the injury is not the goin tendon injury that dogged the captain last season. Clark, who has only one assist and a minus-2 rating in 12 games, appeared to participate fully in the morning skate.

Asked if he was injured, Clark said, "You have to ask Bruce." He wouldn't say anything more.

When it was relayed to Boudreau that Clark seemed "pertubed", Boudreau said: "He's perturbed that he's hurt."

Clark's wrist was wrapped. But he said that's been a nagging thing since last year.

here is another article on the malkin/ovechkin rivalry

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...=rss&feed=8

By Joe Starkey

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Friday, November 7, 2008

New event to spice up the tired old NHL All-Star Skills competition: Russian Roulette, featuring Evgeni Malkin and Alex Ovechkin.

It wouldn't be complicated. Malkin would stand by the end boards. Ovechkin would race at him 100 mph and try to put him through the glass.

You know, just like in the real games.

This has to be the most bizarre ongoing feud in sports. Every time the Penguins play the Washington Capitals, Ovechkin loses his mind. He locks in on Malkin about a half-dozen times and pretty much tries to break him in-half. It happened again in the teams' first meeting this season, Oct. 16 at Mellon Arena.

It's compelling stuff, for sure. It's also flat-out weird.

These two make Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant look like best friends.

None of the veteran hockey observers I've spoken with can remember seeing one superstar forward stalk another in such reckless fashion, with such obvious venom.

Weirder still: Nobody seems to know why it's happening.

One theory has it that something went awry in August of 2007 at a Moscow nightclub, where Ovechkin allegedly punched out Malkin's Russian agent, Gennady Ushakov.

Ovechkin has denied the story.

Two days ago, I asked Malkin -- who is no longer using a translator in interviews -- if Ovechkin punched Ushakov.

"Yes," he said. "Bad situation."

Wow, this is the worst officiated game ever.

Puck comes down off the netting, Backstrom punches it in, goal.

Semin railroads Lundqvist, puck comes back around, goes in with the net off, goal.

Just came back from the bar in College Park where I watched the game...but did anyone notice...

Brooks Laich scored while using his new Easton S17 (pretty sure) instead of his old standby Warrior stick...

AND

Tom Poti scored while using a Warrior (OPS I'm pretty sure) instead of his old Easton 2-piece stick...

Just thought it was pretty crazy...two players, two new twigs, and two goals (and Poti doesn't score often!). All my friends at the bar thought I was crazy when I pointed the fact out to them, go figure!

Brooks Laich*

Wow, this is the worst officiated game ever.

Semin railroads Lundqvist, puck comes back around, goes in with the net off, goal.

Except the net wasn't completely off which is what the rule states.

Anyone else notice OV using a NBH one95 last night against the Rangers? Don't think it was just a borrowed stick, looks like his height and curve (although it very well may be Semin's...but I think Semin is still using one90s). Picture posted in the Ice Hockey Equipment section under the appropriate thread.

Anyone else notice OV using a NBH one95 last night against the Rangers? Don't think it was just a borrowed stick, looks like his height and curve (although it very well may be Semin's...but I think Semin is still using one90s). Picture posted in the Ice Hockey Equipment section under the appropriate thread.

Was talked about in the 08-09 Gear Sightings thread in the Ice Hockey Equipment Forum.