Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009 Washington Capitals thread

No need to be pissed about the runs Ovechkin takes at guys. His shortened career due to the abuse to his body will be payback enough.

The Russian machine never breaks! :P

im not trying to defend crosby, because he certainly isn't an angel - but with as close knit as most nhl teams are wouldn't you be a little pissed if someone from the opposing team was taking runs at your star player all night? I can certainly understand why crosby or any one of the penguins would be upset with ovechkin a little.

on a side note did anyone see therriens press conference - he was pretty pissed to say the least

Ovechkin was called out by boudreau for spending 40 minutes trying to hit malkin, I don't think he'll be doing it again.

However, malkin boarded semin early in the game, before the first ovey hit, so I'm guessing that fuelled the fire, and how that wasn't a 5 minute call I don't know, then crosby got a dig in at semin at the end of the 2nd, and it was crosby who went after ovey again after the whistle.

im not trying to defend crosby, because he certainly isn't an angel - but with as close knit as most nhl teams are wouldn't you be a little pissed if someone from the opposing team was taking runs at your star player all night? I can certainly understand why crosby or any one of the penguins would be upset with ovechkin a little.

on a side note did anyone see therriens press conference - he was pretty pissed to say the least

Ovechkin was called out by boudreau for spending 40 minutes trying to hit malkin, I don't think he'll be doing it again.

However, malkin boarded semin early in the game, before the first ovey hit, so I'm guessing that fuelled the fire, and how that wasn't a 5 minute call I don't know, then crosby got a dig in at semin at the end of the 2nd, and it was crosby who went after ovey again after the whistle.

when you say malkin boarded semin early in the game - do you mean the one where malkin got a penalty or a different time? cause the boarding penalty malkin took wasn't until half way through the second period.

im not trying to nitpick or start a fight - but from what i remember ovechkin was going after malkin from the very first drop of the puck - thats why i figured there must be some story behind it that we dont know about

I love the fact that Ovie and Malkin are going at each other considering their background. We need more Russian rivalries in the NHL.

I love the fact that Ovie and Malkin are going at each other considering their background. We need more Russian rivalries in the NHL.

If the League wants to be driven/marketed on the players we need more individual rivalries PERIOD.

I don't know why he's shanking everything, but he is evidently very upset with his own performance.

Saw him switch back and forth between U+ and 10.0's alot in his last game, once in a while mixing it up with ripping of a tape job and applying a new one.

Saw him switch back and forth between U+ and 10.0's alot in his last game, once in a while mixing it up with ripping of a tape job and applying a new one.

Was it really a U+ or a dressed up 10.0? He must've switched at least twice during the actual game, and went from the U+/Black 10.0 to his old standard white 10.0 before shanking that penalty shot. Not sure what's up, anyone?

If the League wants to be driven/marketed on the players we need more individual rivalries PERIOD.

Nah, team rivalries are the way to go. Otherwise, it turns your league into WWE and that is just stupid.

Was it really a U+ or a dressed up 10.0? He must've switched at least twice during the actual game, and went from the U+/Black 10.0 to his old standard white 10.0 before shanking that penalty shot. Not sure what's up, anyone?

It MUST be the stick. :ph34r:

He might just be losing his zing, he couldn't stay #1 forever (even though it's a bit early to drop off, not unheard of).

He might just be in a slump right now.

Which would be a perfect reason for him to be experimenting with new sticks, to break out of the slump. And Rustpot...the Russian Machine NEVER breaks!

I think that Ovechkin is ready to bust out. And I think it will come on the road trip, where he is away from home. Happened last year, and the year before. He gets rid of the pressure of performing in front of the home team, and by the time he gets back, he is scoring, so don't bring the pressure with him.

Also, if any of you guys are local, I run a charity pick up game (all levels) to fight cancer. Next game is November 1st at 8.45pm down at Kettler (caps practice facility).

Anyway, if you are interested drop me a PM, I will fill you in on the details.

Cheers

Some tidbits from last night...

"We try to play so fancy, our big mistake," Ovechkin said. "We know we have some great skills. But we try to create some create some crazy moments, play beautiful hockey."
Coach Bruce Boudreau promised changes, even it means taking some of his taking power play time from some of his most talented forwards.

"I don't know what's happened all of a sudden to the power play," Boudreau said. "The next thing is to not put them on the ice, to get the point across. We're trying to be so damn cute all the time. You don't get goals like that. When you can't score on the power play in this league, you're going to be in trouble."

Fedorov tied Alexander Mogilny's NHL record for goals by a Russian-born player at 473.

IMO, Ovechkin doesn't need to be killing penalties

I agree, and far be it from me to question anyones coaching in the NHL because I still play in a novice league :lol: but Ovechkin has looked tired in the third in the last couple of games.

The caps have some pretty solid PKers that are not chewing up a lot of ice time at the minute, Steckel, Bradley, Laich, Gordon etc on forward without having Ovechkin and Semin on the PK

Hopefully that changes tonight and they keep him on even strength and PP only, spread the time more (he's playing over 25 minutes a game), give him 21 minutes of balls to the wall hockey, save his legs for the third when they will need it.

So, Erskine may not be able to go tonight in Pheonix. With Poti already out the caps are thin on D, given that they only called up one guy.

So, if Erskine can't go it will likely be

Green-Morisson

Schultz-Sloan

Juice - ?? Perhaps Fedorov

Meaning the forward lines get re-giggered again.

Likely be

Ovechkin-Nylander-Clark

Semin-Fedorov-Laich

Flash-Gordon-Fehr

Brashear-Steckel-Bradley

Again, this is all speculation based on Erskine not being able to play. He is saying he will go, but we will see come gametime

So, Erskine may not be able to go tonight in Pheonix. With Poti already out the caps are thin on D, given that they only called up one guy.

So, if Erskine can't go it will likely be

Green-Morisson

Schultz-Sloan

Juice - ?? Perhaps Fedorov

Meaning the forward lines get re-giggered again.

Likely be

Ovechkin-Nylander-Clark

Semin-Fedorov-Laich

Flash-Gordon-Fehr

Brashear-Steckel-Bradley

Again, this is all speculation based on Erskine not being able to play. He is saying he will go, but we will see come gametime

I haven't been following the Caps at all, but no Backstrom? Is he being Jason Blake'd?