Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogie Oglethorpe

Rink pet-peeves

This probably has been covered before in some variant or another, but what are your rink pet peeves?

FOR INSTANCE: I have 3:

* Showing up to games drunk or flipping high on pot.

* People who tape the crap out of their ankles or shin guards and never bring their own tape. Me? I don't tape either (taping ankles is a subject for another time) but if that's your bag don't constantly be asking around for tape before every game. I stopped bringing tape to games for this reason.

* HOWEVER, my biggest peeve, by far? People who bogart other's water. I take the time to bring a bottle of water to every game. I fill it up with ice (I know... cold water is supposed to be worse and you should drink room temp but I just like the cool water) and have just enough to carry me through the game. However, there is always at least one guy on every team I play on that never brings his own water and quickly ID's who has the cold stuff and will just start drinking my water. NEVER brings his own. Then I run out as a result.

What irritates me even worse? When he uses my water to cool himself off (sprays it over his head, down his back, whatever). OR? When I can't find my bottle because he moved it somewhere else or because he has it with him at other end of the bench. OR? When I look over and instead of using the spray top he's suckling it like it's his mother's teet.

(although, I will say that I did bring some nasty powder mix one game with Vodka and the worst offender did stop.... although, he did get some vodka in his eye after dousing his head which wasn't a good thing, but still....)

SO, what are your peeves? Water theives on your team? etc.

I don't it when people jack my water . I also hate it when people ask me for tape everyday instead of dishing out 2 bucks to get their own.That drives me up a wall.

For me the biggest pet peeve would be the ice hog guy.

Hes the guy that thinks he can relive past glory and stay out there for 7 minute shifts, no backchecking, and complaining we dont play as a "team". Ice hog guy usually picks his time to shine when we have 3+ lines of foreward out there.

Haha, haven't heard the word "bogart" used in years.

To add to your list:

When someone I've leant my shower gel to lends it to someone else and so on...

People that come to the rink with a stick that has a broken blade that KNOW is unusable and expect ME to lend them a brand new prostock with no warrenty and refuse to use sticks offerd from others or any other of my sticks (I ussualy bring 3 for some reason)

People that wont wait for the surface water on the ice to freeze before getting on the ice and wacking pucks around. I tell them every week and they STILL act suprised that the pucks don't glide.

Sitting next to the goalie in a cramped locker room.

Water theives shit me bad, I had one guy take my bottle at a try out, empty it then claim it as his own. I stole it back by the end and hid it around a H shaped pilon. He couldn't find it and ran out of steam towards the end. So I finished the try out strong and he died off.

Lazy goalies do my head IN. The ones that whinge about the D or their injury etc. Its simple you suck because you aren't agressive enough OR you don't want it bad enough OR you have shite technique and don't scope when you are supposed to.

The biggest thing that pisses me off is the dumb asses that I play with who either dump the puck or feed me sui passes. I swear I will take out my own team memebers if it continues!!!

I'm usually in my own world in the locker room, but water bandits on the bench piss me off. I have two Gatorade bottles and I even write my name on the top and they still drink it. Clear tape whores also suck. Used to love Andover clear for that reason - doesn't make a sound.

Guys on my team follow what I thought was a simple rule; if it is a bottle of Powerade/Gatorade or bottled water or it has a name on it then you leave it alone. Your ordinary water bottles are fair game.

Guys on my team follow what I thought was a simple rule; if it is a bottle of Powerade/Gatorade or bottled water or it has a name on it then you leave it alone. Your ordinary water bottles are fair game.

Yeah, +1 on that. I never bring water, so I guess I'm the "water thief". I'll drink out of guys blank water bottles, but won't touch thier powerade of gatorade. We have guys that bring extra bottles for everyone though.

I'm usually in my own world in the locker room, but water bandits on the bench piss me off. I have two Gatorade bottles and I even write my name on the top and they still drink it. Clear tape whores also suck. Used to love Andover clear for that reason - doesn't make a sound.

See? I'm the same way (gatorade squeeze bottle with my name on it). I think, however, they identify my bottle that way as I bring the chilled filtered stuff. The time I put the vodka in and the moron squeezed it over his head and got some in his eyes I was villainized. Like, it'd my damned fault that f-head uses my stash as his personal bath water? I wasn't drinking the vodka and crystal light mix, mind you, just put it there to "sour the milk". I didn't necessarily know he'd be using it to wash himself with (I did catch myself giggling though when he did it).

Oh, and regarding the lazy tape hos? The last time I lent it out (a half roll left) the dude killed it - taped his shins in some weird multi-zig-zag pattern then used the rest for his ankles (his f-n ankles? Buy better skates or get some ankle strength jack-ass). But I digress. Now I just don't bring tape anymore.

When guys don't put their bags vertically so more guys can squeeze in.

Guys who lose their sticks and grab mine cause it is usually sticking over the boards.

When kids talk back to their captains.

Weelie Bags.

The one overly competitive guy that slams their stick on the ice/boards and after the game storms out of the locker room.

The same guy that would be pissed off if he didnt score but gloats about his one goal.. Ya thanks ass we still lost 2-9 in case you didn't notice.

Players that goon it up but when they get slashed whine to the refs.

Ringers.

When my D-partner constantly takes it up the ice instead of passing to the forwards. A few times a game is ok, but don't do it everytime you get the puck.

Being open on point and never getting the puck.

The one overly competitive guy that slams their stick on the ice/boards and after the game storms out of the locker room.

The same guy that would be pissed off if he didnt score but gloats about his one goal.. Ya thanks ass we still lost 2-9 in case you didn't notice.

Ringers.

When my D-partner constantly takes it up the ice instead of passing to the forwards. A few times a game is ok, but don't do it everytime you get the puck.

Hey Sabbs - Can I guess to whom you are referring? ;)

How bout the player who commits to playing for their old team, and then says they are already playing on two other teams and wants to be a sub instead? Gotcha! :P

Ringers.

Hey Sabbs - Can I guess to whom you are referring? ;)

How bout the player who commits to playing for their old team, and then says they are already playing on two other teams and wants to be a sub instead? Gotcha! :P

And ya ya I know you just miss playing with me every week but you'll survive. :P

my biggest peeve is the shop. Unless something changes in managment i will NEVER give them my business. They are rarely open and dont even carry wax laces for an adult boot. "we can order some and have them in next week sometime, check back next week". But they arent open any of the days i go, and never got them in that i could tell.

Other than that i hate my rink management in general. This happened other day..Kid (mite) got hit in the nose by a door to the lockerroom and is bleeding pretty good. Coach goes and sees manager in lobby and asks for first aid kit. Manager says, get this, "hey man go to the window (pay counter sign in window, etc...) i dont wanna hear it" Coach goes to window and guy goes "we dont really have one" 5 minutes later they scrounge up some really old bandaids.

i hate my rink. <_<

Clear tape whores also suck. Used to love Andover clear for that reason - doesn't make a sound.

+1 on that... I almost bought a roll of the clear "Bauer" logo tape.. but then it hit me, everyone will be up on my steez. haha

I used to have people swipe my Gatorade all the time, that pissed me off the most. I wouldn't mind if someone asks.... but when I come to the bench to find my "unopened" Gatorade both open, and missing 2/3... ugh. I've since started drinking 50/50 of Red Bull and Gatorade, and no one touches my shit. haha.

I also skate the last hour of the night (12:20am-1:20am), and the guy working the rink is usually kind enough to give us an extra half hour or so (Yes, he sometimes stays until 2am+)....In return, I ask the guys pickup after themselves, because the less the rink worker has to do, the more prone he is to let us skate longer. Majority of the time, I'm cleaning up people's empty beer bottles/cans, tape balls.... I was goddamn ballistic when someone puked on the locker room floor one night. I wanted to strangle the kid who did it. 2 barrels, and he couldn't make it to either?

Survey Says...water thief is the number one answer. Only happens at pick-up when everyone is sorta on their own and it pisses me off to no end. Hour and a half skate and my gatorade bottle that I filled to the top is empty less than halfway through...Tremendous <_< That vodka/crystal lite mix is pure genius though, could have to resort to that.

Only happens at pick-up when everyone is sorta on their own and it pisses me off to no end

It may be worse at pick up, but that is surely not the only time it happens. I fill in regularly on a bunch of teams and (until my injury) full time on at least 2. It happens on every one of them. EVERY ONE. Some are worse than others. There are two fat-bastards that do it regularly. One guy drinks mine (because it's cold) before he gets into his own. What the hell....

Yes, like I said, vodka and crystal light... (I stashed a real water bottle outside the coaches entrance to the side of the bench). I figured if they didn't use it I'd drink it after the game. Guy doused his head and got it in his eyes (bitched about his contacts). I did laugh at the time but was chastized after the game by the guy who ran the team (but did mention he thought it was funny sometime later). Water Thief whined and moaned to no end to everyone. Couldn't tell if people were ticked at me for doing that, or because they had to listen to him and I was the cause.

I will say this.... he did stop bathing in my stuff. :ph34r:

Something that I do is bring a cooler with 2 bottles and an ice pack. I bring one bottle to the bench, and I leave the other in the cooler. This way, I have a nice cold one for after practice, and me teammates seem to drink more sparingly from the bottle I bring to the bench, which leaves a little more for me. Even though it is annoying that people drink from my gatorade instead of bringing their own, my teammates seem so grateful, and they are so good about asking for a drink, and allowing me to have the first sip, its hard to say no to them.

Little kids running up and down the hallways.

Even worse: when they roll up and down the hallways in those stupid heelys.

Or worse when said "little" kids go into the lockerroom and pinch money from your wallet (we can't always get keys to the door).

And... on a related subject... a few of the rinks I play at have bars that overlook the rinks. How schitty is it that fellow players from other teams hit on girlfriends that are sitting there watching the game (while I am on the ice and they are sitting up there by themselves)? I mean, they know that they're there watching someone (likely a boyfriend). After all, it's not like they just randomly go to some obscure location to drink at a hockey rink, right? Is there no honor amongst comrades, or are we all Matheiu Schnieders nailing fellow players women?

The closing to the story was that a goalie from another team I play on was there (he had played the game before mine and was enjoying some lovely post-game festive adult beverages), recognized her, and took care of the situation when it got out of hand (some people need to take no or, in her case, "fuck off" for an answer).