Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interpathway

Where were you?

Rest in peace to all those lost, you are not forgotten!

I remember arriving at school and my friend running up to me tell me we're being attacked, and we ran to a classroom to watch the news, we left school right after and me and a ton of my classmates just sat glued to the tv watching the events unfold. Wow 8 years later.

had classes in middle school all day, and somehow the entire downstairs knew but never bothered to pass along the message to any one upstairs, so my math teacher told us right after lunch, several hours after the attacks. pretty surreal being 13 years old and realizing that one of the biggest tragedies in US history just happened. i'd always heard people talk about where they were when they found out about Pearl Harbor, or President Kennedy, and figured they were "embellishing" when they said they remember the exact moment down to the minor details, but now I know that's absolutely true.

Nat Geo had a pretty awesome 9/11 special on the last couple of days. I think it was called 9/11 Zero Hour??? If you pass it on the guide it's worth watching.

Nat Geo had a pretty awesome 9/11 special on the last couple of days. I think it was called 9/11 Zero Hour??? If you pass it on the guide it's worth watching.

Saw that a few years back, very interesting.

Now I'm watching one called "102 Minutes." Compiled from amatuer footage shot that day by everyday people with their cameras. Hearing them speak as they try to make sense of what's happening is chilling. The most incredible/tragic/shocking footage I've ever seen.

The other gut wrenching part is them playing 911 calls from people above the fires. Some are calm and asking when they'll see help. Others are hysterical and incomprehensible. I feel a bit nauseous.

If you want, you can watch it in its entirety at the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw_EEDkD0Hc...PL&index=24

I was between classes in university, my course right after it happened and my last class of the day got cancelled. The day after, my first class in the morning was political science so let me tell you that out teacher gave us a lecture that I will never forget about how the world we lived in would change because of those events.

Interesting comment on the news last night; as it has been nine years, a lot of the people in the military that have been sent to Afghanistan were 9 or 10 on September 11, 2001. In some cases, half their life has happened after the towers came down.

I was six..I didn't even know it had happened. If I did, I didn't make much of it out. Yesterday, my english teacher had us watch a video on it, then we did a writing assignment. It was really something, actually seeing what happened. Then I was really pissed as some A-holes in my class started laughing about it when one of them brought up the South Park episode of it...

I was in sixth grade, and my class saw the second plane hit. About an hour later, my sister and I were called out from school. The school was talking about letting us go home early. Ironically enough, my family was at a funeral for an elder and us being too young to know her, we were only going to the luncheon afterwards. It was very eerie, especially since my aunt had known people who were working at the tower that day. Can't remember off the top of my head if they made it out or not...but can't believe it's nine years already.

I was in bed asleep. I was half awake and became aware that the radio station which I normally listens to that plays heavy metal music and NEVER has any news on it had so much news reports that it sounded like talk radio.

Then I overheard them talking about a plane crashing in NYC, got up and turned on the TV and you can imagine the rest of the story.

Senior year of high school. Heard while we were in the bleachers in gym class. I was supposed to be leaving school early that day to go to a portfolio review for art school at the building between the two towers. Needless to say, that never happened. You could see the chaos from the highway going through my town. I was one of the first kids with a cell phone, people were using it to call home or their parents. A girl in the grade below me lost her brother on one of the flights.

Sophomore year of college. I always fell asleep with espn on tv and when i woke up I noticed that it was on abc (they had cut to the abc news coverage I guess) but in my half asleep and late stupor I didnt pick up on anything unusual. I go to breakfast and then when i get to class the tv is on and i see the buildings smoking so i ask someone what happened and they told me that two planes had been flown into the wtc. I sat there in amazement, watching the buildings burn, then my professor came in and actually tried to conduct class, which meant i didn't see the buildings fall. I've never really considered joining the military before that day, but i came damn close after those buildings came down. I found out later that my stepfather had an appointment with a lawyer in southern manhattan at morning that had gotten canceled at 7am before he started driving up there.

Also, i had a couple people i knew from the NYC area so i emailed them to make sure everything was ok for them. One person was a high school friend who responded that everyone he knew was safe. The second person was the high school ex who i had an ugly breakup with. Her reply, "the worst thing about what happened yesterday was that the plane that went down in Pennsylvania didn't hit your house." Clearly she didn't get the difference between philadelphia (where im from) and pittsburgh. I showed the email to my roommates and they actually wanted to try to go after her, but i dropped it. Suffice to say, any thoughts i had of a potential reconciliation also died with that email.

I can't believe it was nine years ago. It still feels odd when I drive into manhattan through the Lincoln tunnel and the towers aren't in the skyline.

Junior year of high school. On the way to first period there was a buzz going around but no one really knew what was going on. Here, (Peoria, IL), we have two buildings downtown that we call the twin towers, so at first before anyone could get to a t.v., we were all thinking that it was happening here. That soon changed when they turned on the t.v.'s in the classrooms. horrible, horrible day.

Hearing the stories, as we do every Septemper 11th, of how NYPD and FDNY risked their lives to save as many people as possible makes me more then ever want to be a cop here in Victoria. Their bravey, their sacrifce is to be respected no matter who you are or where you are from...

"Now, we have inscribed a new memory alongside those others. It’s a memory of tragedy and shock, of loss and mourning. But not only of loss and mourning. It’s also a memory of bravery and self-sacrifice, and the love that lays down its life for a friend–even a friend whose name it never knew."

6th grade lunch room in Staten Island, NY. Had no TV's really so everything was rumors, had friends crying and going crazy because half of everyone who lives on Staten Island commutes to Manhattan. Parents came in droves to pick everyone up at school, the whole island was on lockdown for 48 hours no cars or movements anywhere. Dad's car came home covered in the dust from the Towers (Works in Brooklyn) and all night and day you could hear and see the fighter jets flying overhead for the day after. A terrible day to say the least

Sixth grade as well.

Hearing the stories, as we do every Septemper 11th, of how NYPD and FDNY risked their lives to save as many people as possible makes me more then ever want to be a cop here in Victoria. Their bravey, their sacrifce is to be respected no matter who you are or where you are from...

"Now, we have inscribed a new memory alongside those others. It's a memory of tragedy and shock, of loss and mourning. But not only of loss and mourning. It's also a memory of bravery and self-sacrifice, and the love that lays down its life for a friend–even a friend whose name it never knew."

On Saturday the History Channel aired the best 9/11 program I have seen. It was a compilation of various first person footage, the only alterations were showing occasional time stamps and lapses, no commercials, no hollow narration, reenactments or digital reconstructions. There was a scene shot from an apartment window, and it afforded only enough perspective to see people who were on the street directly below. They were frantically running but it couldn't be seen from what, then a dust cloud that encapsulated the entire frame rushes past chasing them. But the scene that has resonated most with me was of FDNY members heading towards the remaining tower after the first had collapsed. They grabbed their gear and headed towards the flaming tower while every other human in the video was sprinting in the opposite direction.

Sophomore year of college. I always fell asleep with espn on tv and when i woke up I noticed that it was on abc (they had cut to the abc news coverage I guess) but in my half asleep and late stupor I didnt pick up on anything unusual. I go to breakfast and then when i get to class the tv is on and i see the buildings smoking so i ask someone what happened and they told me that two planes had been flown into the wtc. I sat there in amazement, watching the buildings burn, then my professor came in and actually tried to conduct class, which meant i didn't see the buildings fall. I've never really considered joining the military before that day, but i came damn close after those buildings came down. I found out later that my stepfather had an appointment with a lawyer in southern manhattan at morning that had gotten canceled at 7am before he started driving up there.

Also, i had a couple people i knew from the NYC area so i emailed them to make sure everything was ok for them. One person was a high school friend who responded that everyone he knew was safe. The second person was the high school ex who i had an ugly breakup with. Her reply, "the worst thing about what happened yesterday was that the plane that went down in Pennsylvania didn't hit your house." Clearly she didn't get the difference between philadelphia (where im from) and pittsburgh. I showed the email to my roommates and they actually wanted to try to go after her, but i dropped it. Suffice to say, any thoughts i had of a potential reconciliation also died with that email.

I can't believe it was nine years ago. It still feels odd when I drive into manhattan through the Lincoln tunnel and the towers aren't in the skyline.

It's possible (though unlikely) that the laywer was a family friend of ours- He was in NY with a series of meetings, but had cut it short to fly back to NC because a judge wanted him to argue a motion- he was supposed to have a meeting in one of the towers at 7 on September 11, but instead he was on one of the last flights in the air before everything got grounded.

And in a little odd bit for me, when I was shadowing him for a day this summer to get an idea of life in law, he pointed out to me that the federal judge he was going to argue a motion for that day was the same one who saved his life by having him come back early that day.

It's possible (though unlikely) that the laywer was a family friend of ours- He was in NY with a series of meetings, but had cut it short to fly back to NC because a judge wanted him to argue a motion- he was supposed to have a meeting in one of the towers at 7 on September 11, but instead he was on one of the last flights in the air before everything got grounded.

And in a little odd bit for me, when I was shadowing him for a day this summer to get an idea of life in law, he pointed out to me that the federal judge he was going to argue a motion for that day was the same one who saved his life by having him come back early that day.

I doubt that was the lawyer - my stepfather's meeting was in lower Manhattan, near the Towers, but not in one of the WTC buildings.

I was walking in to my classroom in 2nd grade and my teacher turned on the TV and it was on. I guess she was the only teacher who showed it, all the other teachers wouldnt turn it on. Hard to believe its been 9 years