Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

The 90/75 was a little too much bite for me, but I drag my feet when I walk, and that seems to translate into "dragging" my feet when I transition from front to back. A different profile might help me out with that, but I like the radius I've got now.

I quite like the 90/50, but it doesn't last as long as I'd like. On a traditional ROH, I used 5/8".

I'm 230-ish, which I thought was heavy, and anything with more bite would drive me nuts.

Isn't 100/50 less bite? I tried 90/75 for a bit coming from 11/16" and it was too little, so I went to 100/50 and have been very happy.

To be honest, someone at 314 lb skating on the DEEPEST FBV...and I ask this in the most non-insulting way...you aren't a good skater, are you? Because it sounds like you are on a training wheels hollow (going with deep hollow for stability)

Remember, if you weigh a lot, you don't need that much of a hollow. Make the shift to a shallower hollow...every time you get your skates sharpened. Once you feel like you can't make a turn without blowing out, scale back to the previous hollow. But work on your skating and get off that 100/75!

To be honest, someone at 314 lb skating on the DEEPEST FBV...and I ask this in the most non-insulting way...you aren't a good skater, are you? Because it sounds like you are on a training wheels hollow (going with deep hollow for stability)

Remember, if you weigh a lot, you don't need that much of a hollow. Make the shift to a shallower hollow...every time you get your skates sharpened. Once you feel like you can't make a turn without blowing out, scale back to the previous hollow. But work on your skating and get off that 100/75!

What do you recommend for the next couple steps away from 100/75?

No offense taken whatsoever. Indeed, I'm not a good skater, although I know I've improved drastically, I've only got about 6 months of on-ice experience — prior to that I had only played inline. I was told that I would really like the 100/75 by one of the LHS employees so I gave it a shot. I'm going to drop down a level tomorrow night. Skating at Incredible on "The Den" so it's definitely good ice to test it out on right? Really appreciate the honest, informed reply.

Would the 100/75 effect my overall froward stride? I feel like it's making my technique sloppy and incomplete, also feel like I'm not gliding really well.

Edited by mug25

The thing is, I don't know that, that's why I asked.

Me neither. Realizing that skate hollows are pretty subjective, depend on the ice condition, etc, but also that not a lot of people really understand what flat bottom grind really works best without a lot of trial and error, it would be interesting if there was a basic guideline to get somebody started.

If I'm a decent skater, weigh 190 and am playing in two rinks that are totally different surfaces, (one hard, one pretty soft), what should I be looking to do? I'm fine with having different blades for each rink.

And I have to admit that I have no idea, which is why I'm asking

Theres going to be more resistance if you're on a deeper hollow. But I don't think it should really affect your forward stride.

I started from inline just like you, and for a long time I had trouble learning to skate on ice efficiently. If you want to glide well you really need to put power into your strides. Work on bending those knees and really making full extensions.

With "super soft ice" you may as well be skating in mud... or running in deep dry sand with a 100 pound backpack..... There is a reason we switch to shallower "hollows" when going to really soft ice.... Go shallower and find a happy medium, or maybe get a couple sets of runners and have one set for each rink....The point is, experiment and find out what works for you. Coming from inline you probably feel like you are attached to rails on the ice with what you are skating on now.

As to the "training wheel hollow"...... to each his own.... some folks will never be comfortable on shallow hollows regardless of their skating ability. You have to experiment and find out what works for you.

Me neither. Realizing that skate hollows are pretty subjective, depend on the ice condition, etc, but also that not a lot of people really understand what flat bottom grind really works best without a lot of trial and error, it would be interesting if there was a basic guideline to get somebody started.

If I'm a decent skater, weigh 190 and am playing in two rinks that are totally different surfaces, (one hard, one pretty soft), what should I be looking to do? I'm fine with having different blades for each rink.

And I have to admit that I have no idea, which is why I'm asking

Basics is what I need, for FBV and regular numbers. I've looked around, but haven't found a real explanation; it's possible I missed it. Talk about deeper/shallower hollows is nice, if you know the relationship between the hollows referred to by numbers -- I don't.

With "super soft ice" you may as well be skating in mud... or running in deep dry sand with a 100 pound backpack..... There is a reason we switch to shallower "hollows" when going to really soft ice.... Go shallower and find a happy medium, or maybe get a couple sets of runners and have one set for each rink....The point is, experiment and find out what works for you. Coming from inline you probably feel like you are attached to rails on the ice with what you are skating on now.

As to the "training wheel hollow"...... to each his own.... some folks will never be comfortable on shallow hollows regardless of their skating ability. You have to experiment and find out what works for you.

That's what I figured. The rink I play at on Tuesdays is probably the worst ice possible (it was so humid last night that my visor would fog up the moment I got back to the bench.) — however, since that is where I play my league games I think I might cater to that rink. I may also consider the switching steel based on what rink I play at

Basics is what I need, for FBV and regular numbers. I've looked around, but haven't found a real explanation; it's possible I missed it. Talk about deeper/shallower hollows is nice, if you know the relationship between the hollows referred to by numbers -- I don't.

Yeah, as much as I've tried to keep track of this 143 page thread that this has been merged into, I don't think its been addressed. I know there are guys here who probably just know this stuff off the top of their head though.... I'd ask, "If you're 190 and skating on good, hard ice, then this is a good grind to start with. If it bites too much, then try this.... If it doesn't bite enough, then try this..... if the ice is softer, then try this..... " I think that would be helpful to dummies like me who want to know but just don't have anyone to ask.

Edited by Gr8erade

Yeah, as much as I've tried to keep track of this 143 page thread that this has been merged into, I don't think its been addressed. I know there are guys here who probably just know this stuff off the top of their head though.... I'd ask, "If you're 190 and skating on good, hard ice, then this is a good grind to start with. If it bites too much, then try this.... If it doesn't bite enough, then try this..... if the ice is softer, then try this..... " I think that would be helpful to dummies like me who want to know but just don't have anyone to ask.

You mean a chart like this?

http://www.blackstonesport.com/FBV_Comparison_Chart.pdf

Thanks Chadd,

I think that I've seen that before but never had a chance to save a copy..... Now I have a better idea of what to try. I'm gonna get a couple sets of spare runners and have someone grind them to a couple different FBV to play with them this spring....

What he said...... Skated on 3/8 from the time I started at 4 till I was 18. I stopped playing for a few years and when I came back I did what JR recommended you do. I now skate on 1" and haven't felt better on the ice and I was always a good skater, it's almost effortless

Ok so here's my question then.... I've tried a 100/75 but the edges were uneven so it was hard to tell if the bite was too much or sufficient... It was "grabby" but this could easily have been the unevenness of the edges. If it turns out that 100\75 does have just a bit more bite than I want, what other profile would you suggest? Like I said, I want to get a set of runners done 100/75 (again) and a second set a little tamer....

What he said...... Skated on 3/8 from the time I started at 4 till I was 18. I stopped playing for a few years and when I came back I did what JR recommended you do. I now skate on 1" and haven't felt better on the ice and I was always a good skater, it's almost effortless

This is a lot easier to accomplish if you have taken a long time off v.s.when you are on the ice almost daily. If a deeper hollow is what you are used to (and especially if you keep good, fresh edges on your skates) then you have to be willing to go for quite a while skating on what "feels like" dull skates.

Edited by zebra_steve

Ok so here's my question then.... I've tried a 100/75 but the edges were uneven so it was hard to tell if the bite was too much or sufficient... It was "grabby" but this could easily have been the unevenness of the edges. If it turns out that 100\75 does have just a bit more bite than I want, what other profile would you suggest? Like I said, I want to get a set of runners done 100/75 (again) and a second set a little tamer....

This is a lot easier to accomplish if you have taken a long time off v.s.when you are on the ice almost daily. If a deeper hollow is what you are used to (and especially if you keep good, fresh edges on your skates) then you have to be willing to go for quite a while skating on what "feels like" dull skates.

I started slowly bummed up from 3/8 to 7/16 to 1/2 and so for everytime I got them sharpened best move I ever made

Yeah, just like that. LOL. Along with maybe a recommendation of which of those would be a good place to start.

It lists an "equivalent" radius of hollow for comparison. Pick what you use now and start there.

I would go 100/50 on the other set. Worse case, you bracket your "ideal" fbv and have it narrowed down quite a bit.

I started slowly bummed up from 3/8 to 7/16 to 1/2 and so for every time I got them sharpened best move I ever made

I have my own wheel and can put whatever ROH on it that I want. You would think that it would be easy.... I've tried to shallow up numerous times. The thing is, I'm refereeing games literally every other day and I cannot afford to skate on what feels like dull blades.... It's not fair to the players if my game is off because I feel like I'm sliding around too much. I would have to try to do it over the summer while playing - provided I could make the time to play twice a week. I have hardly ever been off the ice for more than two consecutive weeks in the past 20 years and have been skating 3\8 ROH for over 30 years. A whole bunch of muscle memory to overcome....

Great, thanks. Until now, I didn't even know if the two FBV numbers were independent parameters. From some of the quick responses you've got, I see I wasn't alone in my desire for this info.

It's important to have a clue when I go into a LHS for a sharpening, so that I can tell if the sharpener has a clue.

Edited by wrangler