Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Balsillie's Back

Explain to me how the NHL can supersede a court of law with regard to a dispersal draft. As I see it, the guy in the black robe in Phoenix is the guy with the power. Everyone else, Bettman, BoG, Balsillie, Moyes, Reinsdorf are just along for the ride.

Judges are kings of their courtroom. No one overrules them. The only way is to take it out of their courtroom to another one with a bigger judge, which is what I would assume will happen if the NHL doesn't like the outcome. A trip to the Supreme Court would not surprise me in this case.

Explain to me how the NHL can supersede a court of law with regard to a dispersal draft. As I see it, the guy in the black robe in Phoenix is the guy with the power. Everyone else, Bettman, BoG, Balsillie, Moyes, Reinsdorf are just along for the ride.

The judge can't force the league to keep the Yotes as a member. But that is neither here nor there as the NHLPA will never allow 24 positions to go by the wayside.

Bettman and the Glendale arena would benefit from having the Coyotes stay.

Bettman would be able to keep the team in Phoenix for 5 more years, so he wouldn't be seen as making a bad decision moving the Jets there. If Phoenix fails, other franchises may not be far behind in this economy, confirming that Bettman's sunbelt expansion plan takes profits away from the successful franchises. Bettman would get fired over this. In 5 years things may turn around.

The Glendale arena would have 5 more years with a tenant. But then, they might have to make a $75 million payout (of taxpayers' money) in 5 years, but the Glendale management would have 5 years of salary, perqs, bonuses, etc.

So, it makes sense that they might allegedly conspire to give the team to anybody who would keep the team in PHoenix (Reinsdorf). Taking money away from Moyes et al is just collateral damage.

The judge's job is to ensure that Moyes et al are fairly protected.

The thing about keeping the Coyotes in Pheonix is that it costs all the other owners because they are constantly putting money together to bail out the Coyotes. I think the big problem here is the personal vendeta that Bettman has with Balsillie here, although as someone who lives in southern Ontario I may not have to fair a stance. Another team in southern Ontario would be easily sustained win or lose, in Pheonix if the team isn't winning nobody is into hockey enough to watch, but if you try to get a ticket to the Leafs you may need to sell your mother. The owners should be pushing the NHL to allow Balsillie to go through with his purchase and moving of the Coyotes, Bettmans pride is the problem in all of this not wanting to admit that it was a horrible idea to take a team from Canada and put it in the desert.

Bettman would be able to keep the team in Phoenix for 5 more years, so he wouldn't be seen as making a bad decision moving the Jets there. If Phoenix fails, other franchises may not be far behind in this economy, confirming that Bettman's sunbelt expansion plan takes profits away from the successful franchises. Bettman would get fired over this. In 5 years things may turn around.

The Glendale arena would have 5 more years with a tenant. But then, they might have to make a $75 million payout (of taxpayers' money) in 5 years, but the Glendale management would have 5 years of salary, perqs, bonuses, etc.

So, it makes sense that they might allegedly conspire to give the team to anybody who would keep the team in PHoenix (Reinsdorf). Taking money away from Moyes et al is just collateral damage.

The thing about keeping the Coyotes in Pheonix is that it costs all the other owners because they are constantly putting money together to bail out the Coyotes. I think the big problem here is the personal vendeta that Bettman has with Balsillie here, although as someone who lives in southern Ontario I may not have to fair a stance. Another team in southern Ontario would be easily sustained win or lose, in Pheonix if the team isn't winning nobody is into hockey enough to watch, but if you try to get a ticket to the Leafs you may need to sell your mother. The owners should be pushing the NHL to allow Balsillie to go through with his purchase and moving of the Coyotes, Bettmans pride is the problem in all of this not wanting to admit that it was a horrible idea to take a team from Canada and put it in the desert.

The BOG (Owners) are the ones keeping JB from owning a team...not Bettman's pride.

If this goes to court, I cant see why Balsillie wont get a team. I understand hes not well liked by the other owners or any of that, but heres a guy who has been trying to get a team for years with barrels of money, willing to pay higher then any other bidder and really does know hockey, why not award the poor guy a team? I'm sure anybody without an affiliation with the nhl will see his side as I dont see anything he did as that bad. If the team survives though, that will be another story.

Bettman works for the owners, not the other way around. When will folks grasp this rather simple concept.

If you want to know partially why the other owners hate Balsillie so much read Exhibit C at the end of Daly's affidavit. It's a letter from the Predator's owner detailing how Balsillie tried to screw him over on the sale back in 07. I have no idea if it's factually correct but it sounds legit.

http://docs.bmcgroup.com/phoenixcoyotes/do...bk-9488_544.pdf

Balsillie is new money and those guys tend to think they can just buy their way into anything. Old money guys like Reinsdorf know how to work the game in the background but he didn't plan on Moyes blowing up his secret dealings. I think Reinsdorf's role in this saga is pretty much done. The taxpayers of Glendale would (or should) revolt at his sweetheart deal.

I too figure Balsillie will win the auction (how can he not) but then it will be a PR nightmare when the NHL says tough shit and still refuses to let him keep the franchise whether he moves them or not. Not to mention the creditors will sue the hell out of the NHL if they scuttle the team and make their investment worthless. One way or another the gang of idiots running the NHL are just going to have to let Balsillie in to their club and hope for the best. I don't think they can afford not to.

The NHL has two options really seeing as Balsillie is going to win the auction.

A. They trash the team and have a disbursal draft.

or

B. They let him own and move the team.

A seems like a really shitty option to me. I can't see that happening without the NHLPA flipping out. I don't think the league would do that to their players. I think Balsillie will get his way, and the league will realize they should have just let him buy the Yotes rightout in the first place and saved them selves a headache and possible PR shot.

The judge can't force the league to keep the Yotes as a member. But that is neither here nor there as the NHLPA will never allow 24 positions to go by the wayside.

Actually, he can force them to keep them in the league.

The NHLPA agreed to the mechanism of a dispersal draft in the CBA.

I'm not so sure about that since I believe the pro sports leagues are exempt from anti-trust. He can allow offers from all comers but he doesn't have any say as to if the Yotes wind up on anyone's schedule.

Exactly - the NHL and all the other pro sports want to stay as far away from strict legalities as possible. They enjoy incredible freedoms on and off the ice/field, and they don't want them to be challenged.

If the judge awards Balsillie the team, and accepts his conditions (presumably he'll be given right of refusal if the team will be forced to stay), and NHL will not fight it.

But, why would the judge feel like he has to tell the winning bidder the team has to stay in Glendale? I think that would be overstepping his boundaries. He has seen the franchise can't thrive there given the status quo (and Reinsdorf's qualifiers hammers that point home) so he has to leave some reasonable chance for the new bidder to make the franchise successful. I find it hard to believe Moyes couldn't turn a profit because he is a horrible marketing guy and a new owner like Reinsdorf will have the magic touch to turn it around.

I don't think Baum has the power to modify the lease arrangement however so one of the only options left is someone will have to move the franchise. Scrimping on salaries only works short term until your fan base dwindles to nothing. I really think that Baum is just trying to facilitate a sale of a bankrupt company and beyond that it will be up to the NHL to sort out their mess.

Wow that this could happen.

http://www.predsontheglass.com/2009/08/nhl...ay-updates.html

After a couple of tweets with The Program's Chris Wassel yesterday, I got to thinking a bit deeper about the worst case scenario that could result from the deepening rift between the NHL and the NHLPA in the upcoming labor negotiations.

Let's say things continue their downward spiral in Phoenix and one way or the other Jim Ballsillie does not receive a franchise. This leaves Jim with a bruised ego, plenty of money to spend, and a serious desire for revenge against Gary Bettman and the NHL owners.

Ballsillie immediately appeals the initial ruling and files some type of anti-trust action against the NHL. While the case is moving at a snails pace, he decides to start a four team "Make It Seven" type league of his own with teams in Hamilton, Winnipeg, and a couple of other Canadian cities that will begin play next season (2010-2011). He overpays a few free agents (just like the KHL and WHA) and actually gets a product on the ice and makes it through the first season.

By the summer of 2011, the NHL and the NHLPA have stalemated and a lockout looms. Owners have decided not to sign players for a season that is unlikely to happen because they want to take advantage of a new "controlled cost certainty" system that they are willing to risk losing a season for as part of a new agreement.

At this point, the economy has made a turn for the better and credit has loosened. Big Jim sees the opportunity to expand his league and adds eight teams with four more in Canada and teams in New York, Boston, Chicago and Detroit. Many top unsigned NHL players with the urging of their agents, who see fresh money, decide to give it a go in the Jim league since the NHL arenas are dark for another season.

ESPN has been enamored with all the controversy and they never liked Bettman anyway. They pick up a few games in the new league that do better than expected in the ratings and then at mid-season sign a deal with Jim that gives him a few more dollars (American) to play with.

Meanwhile, Bettman, the NHL owners, and the other players are sitting on the sideline wondering what happened.

From here, you can let your own imagination run wild as to the eventual outcome, but I would imagine that Big Jim would own a team in the revamped/merged NHL and would carry a lot of weight in the circle of owners that survived the lockout and anti-trust meltdown/settlement.

Great imagination but no way in hell this will ever happen. Start up a new league in this economy? Yeah, right............

Teams in the new league would run into the same troubles the NHL teams in those locations did if they tried to take on NHL contracts- that is, they would go broke.

I think Jimmy B needs to calm down for a while, let things blow over and try for an expansion team when the NHL decides to make it 32 in a few years.