Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Balsillie's Back

...keep on buying those BlackBerrys y'all...

I've actually not bought a blackberry simply because of him.

He picked the wrong team to do this with.

And the wrong time to do it. Nobody would be selling that team this year.

Although the team is currently worth twice the price that he payed for it you never know. I doubt he would sell it, but don't forget the reason why they have 110 + pro sports owners in North America, the profit and uncle Georgy would make plenty of it.

Although the team is currently worth twice the price that he payed for it you never know. I doubt he would sell it, but don't forget the reason why they have 110 + pro sports owners in North America, the profit and uncle Georgy would make plenty of it.

Call me naive...call me a fanboy...but something about Mr. Gillet makes me think that he "gets it" as far as the Habs are concerned. NASCAR, footy and ski lodges will make him lots of money...but the NHL is more than that to him...

At least that is the feeling I get from the way he talks about the team.

I'm just being carefull with everything, I got my heart broken one by Loria. Fool me one shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Chadd, I totally agree with you. As long as the NHL claims to have 30 'healthy' markets they aren't going to move a franchise. That would make there 'healthy' claims look stupid. Plus, it's no secret that Balsillie and Bettman aren't exactly the best of friends.

The NHL move a franchise under Gary Bettman's watch?!?! Certainly he would never allow such a travesty to occur.

To pry the tradition-laden Nashville Predators away from their die-hard fanbase would be cruel. Just ask the citizens of Winnipeg, St. Paul, Hartford, or Quebec City.

I'm all for moving franchises from cities that have problems supporting teams, I just think Nashville is the wrong team to move. The Canadian dollar is also down 6% against the dollar over the last few months and it has been acknowledged that even getting to a 10% disparity will have a major impact on canadian teams.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256518

"We better not return to a 78-cent Canadian dollar because we'll be in the same position we were before the work stoppage," Boivin told reporters after giving a speech to Montreal's board of trade.

"It's a reality for Canadian teams."

The Canadian dollar in fact closed Wednesday at 79.83 US cents, down 1.48 cents.

Good thing we didn't rush to move everyone back north of the border, eh?

Check Tuesday's attendance numbers. 12,164(18,680 capacity) in Carolina vs Montreal and 12,689(18,144) in Columbus vs Edmonton. Ticket sales are headed south in quite a few US team cities. I am not saying go north to Canada but "Houston, we have a problem." BTW, I didn't even mention Atlanta.

Balsillie put an offer to buy the Coyotes for $212.5M that is contingent on the teams relocation to Ontario.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277664

just read this also, very interesting. will GB and the NHL governors give this man his franchise and demand already?! he has money to spend and for someone to shell out this much money in tough economic times like this to save one of many NHL franchise, his condition to move the team should be approved! (nothing against fans in phoenix, i've felt this way since the pittsburgh offer)

More info...kinda...at http://www.makeitseven.ca (as in 7 Canadian Teams)

I think it's funny that a guy with his track record with the League is going in MAKING demands...

Jim: I want to buy the team...

Gary: Okay

Jim: ...and move them to Hamilton.

Gary: No!

Jim: Why not?

Gary: Because I don't like you....the governors don't like you...and I'm not a big fan of Hamilton to be quite honest.

Jim: But I've got $212,500,000...look...CASH! (starts peeling money off a fat money clip).

I dunno...do they sell to Balsillie is the question...

I know the league is less than happy with what he pulled last time, but he seems to be slightly more measured in his response this time around...

From what little I have heard though, it sounds like the financing is in place. Realistically with the current state of the economy, the NHL is going to have a tough time finding a group to foot the bill to keep the team in Phoenix.

Additionally, would the league accept a lesser offer to move the team to a place like Kansas City, Houston, or Vegas?

I dunno...do they sell to Balsillie is the question...

I know the league is less than happy with what he pulled last time, but he seems to be more slightly measured in his response this time around...

From what little I have heard though, it sounds like the financing is in place. Realistically with the current state of the economy, the NHL is going to have a tough time finding a group to foot the bill to keep the team in Phoenix.

Additionally, would the league accept a lesser offer to move the team to a place like Kansas City, Houston, or Vegas?

They don't think they can trust him to abide by the rules as an owner. He refused to follow the rules to become an owner so the conclusion makes sense. I think the NHL would prefer to keep it in the US, but if it is in bankruptcy, it will have to be pretty close to the same money.

Oh, and another team in Ontario would mean that someone would have to move to the west. I think Pittsburgh is the westernmost team in the east, that would then mean that someone would have to move out of the central. St Louis would be the most logical there but that would put them in a division with LA, the Ducks, SJ and Dallas, not a good geographic fit.