Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgoblue

Hockey's Simple Pleasures

Watching my 2 and 4 year old sons try to stickhandle in the basement and yell "toe drag!" I play keep away from them...sort of...and offer color commentary. Can't wait till they can actually do one.

I don't play in this league (yet), but stumbled across an age 60+ beer league a few towns over. Knowing that I can play this game for a lifetime makes me happy:

http://www.hockeytow....com/60page.htm

In my old league there were a number of 50+ and 60+ (we had a few that were over 70 IIRC) that played in the adult rec league. They weren't the fastest, but they were crafty and several of them had played since they were kids, so they had amazing vision/hands. I totally want to still be playing rec hockey when I'm 80. :)

I coached "Learn to play hockey for free" day at one of the local rinks today. 60 absolute beginners age 5 - 16.

It was great fun. Made me remember why this game is so great.

In my old league there were a number of 50+ and 60+ (we had a few that were over 70 IIRC) that played in the adult rec league. They weren't the fastest, but they were crafty and several of them had played since they were kids, so they had amazing vision/hands. I totally want to still be playing rec hockey when I'm 80. :)

Exactly! Over the years, in hockey (and in life): the speed might decrease, but the mind only gets stronger.

Exactly! Over the years, in hockey (and in life): the speed might decrease, but the mind only gets stronger.

One of my teams has 4 50+ folks on the team. 3 of us play on a line. That line has a plus/minus thats through the roof high. It comes from learning to move the puck well and to move without the puck well. Our oldest, slowest D'man can poke check the puck away from the fastest, slickest forward right at the blueline better than anyone I''ve ever seen.

I giggle like a little girl everytime I see him completely embarrass new hotshot 20 somethings that try to put a move on him.

Until I was seven, all my skates were hand-me-downs (my first being figure skates lol!)

I'll never, EVER forget seeing my first pair - all of my own and brand new - under the Christmas tree: Bauers with this new cool thing called "tuuk" blades, or something or other. I was so excited to try them, I went out to a little frozen puddle in the back yard and tried skated a bit.

I slept with those skates for months. lol! :wub:

Something that was cool for me the other night was my FIRST EVER toe drag in a game. When I first started playing hockey four decades ago, I don't think they had invented the Toe Drag yet (at least I had never heard of anything called that and I can't recall ever seeing it). I am far from what you would call a finese player and would never think of trying it. Well I saw some of the 8 year olds in the association doing it, I thought how hard can it be. So I watched the videos on youtube and started practicing it on the stick handling pad and the ice before games, etc. I was rushing in alone 1 on 1 (no one else to pass to) so I thought what the heck, I'll try it... I started coasting, dangled the puck out there with the stick already rotated up to the toe and waited. Sure enough the guy went to poke check, I pulled it back and went right around the guy. I was so astonished that it worked that I couldn't tell you what happened after that. I know a shot was taken but I don't know if it was me or if I passed to a trailer. I promptly went to the bench with a big grin on my face and asked everybody if they just saw that.

That was a very simple pleasure for me. I hope I don't have to wait four decades to do it again.

ive been reading this topic and loving it for a few months, so now ive finished my first full season and im ready to go

-firstly, playing drop in and league with nothing but nice and helpful teammates who are now friends

-getting over the puck possession panic and making a perfect outlet pass

-winning a board battle against a better player

-buying a case of beer for the locker room

-receiving every pass that comes at you without fear

-congratulating my goalie

-being able to help even newer players, and some more experienced ones

-anything in the locker room

-goals

-victories

Showing up at Jr.puck time with my 4 year old and finding no one else is there. $12 for a hour ice rental, just him and me smiling for a full hour.

-Feeling a stick flex as you shoot

-Smell of a fresh sheet at 5am

-Making a play you don't normally make (positive one)

-Good team win

-Pickup games against teammates

-Ice cold beer after a tough game

Seeing 10 monthe baby boy looking at hockey games on tv and don't even blink. Hockey seems to be a genetic passion in my family hahaha!

I honestly get a kick out of watching new (adult) players learning the game and helping them out on the ice. I love seeing how much they have come along within a year.

Coaching adults older than me, them loving the game as much as I do and giving it their all every Saturday whether it's a win, lose or tie.

My son jus turned 18. Getting to play hockey with him has been something I've waited along time for.

Mine is 17. Just shinny so far; when he's on my team he's on me, and when he's on the other team he's trying to blow by me while he chirps me. Next year we can play beer league together, hopefully, and he'll probably be telling me I'm old.

- Goals that go bar-in from the point

- Team bus trips

- Out of town tournaments with ridiculous numbers of games per day

- The look in the goalie's eyes when he knows he's beat

- Freshly prepped new twig

- The second skate on sharpened skates

- Lacebite on your fingers because its 5 AM and -20*C

- Fog on ice

- Overtime winners

- Beating goalies 5-hole

- Freshly prepped new twig

What makes this even better is that most people don't understand the feeling of a freshly prepped stick especially after is takes awhile to prep one. Straight cut, fresh spray, fresh tape job and just sitting on the wall ready to go, always brings a smile to my face.

A good pickup skate at a rink I don't normally go to (one my shop ISN'T in). Nobody to try and leave their skates with me for repair or sharpening, nobody quizzing me on gear, nobody asking my opinion on something that happened in a beer league I don't play in...

I'm a pretty sociable guy and will bend over backwards for my customers, but sometimes I just want to show up, get a good skate in, and not have to think about the "work" side of hockey for me.

Subbing for a team, losing the game and still having the team thank you for playing your heart out. Then of course, them offering me shots for subbing! Lol.

I was never a hockey fan growing up, could care less, it wasn't till 2005-2006 NHL season where I watched my home town team go right to game 7 of the SCF and lose. It wasn't the loss that amazed me it was how when it was game time the city just stopped, Edmonton for those few hours was a quiet ghost town, and after a win the streets erupted, horns, cheering it was awesome.

As a fan,

- watching the Oilers walk all over teams and just playing that perfect games,

- watching them lose and know they are improving,

- going to games with friends and family.

- knowing exactly where I was and what I was doing when Sidney Crosby scored the golden goal.

As a older cousin,

- its been a gift watching my cousins go from being 6 year olds who could barely skate and the puck never leaving the center circle, to young men who are on the verge of a junior career,

- cheering when they score.

- cheering when they stop the opposing team on a break away

- waiting for them after a hard loss only to tap them on the back and saying good game.

- waking up at 7:00am to go to a rink on a saturday morning.

- driving 4 hours out of town to watch them play only to have to drive back.

- always being there to drive them too and from shinnys

- having them point to you in the stands when they skate by in warm up

As a man taking the sport up in his mid 20's

- buying my first set of skates and getting them molded properly

- first time being on the ice, and how much I could not wait to get off and take the skates off.

- first time being able to take a shot without falling on my ass.

- playing in my first shinny game and having a cold beer with the guys while sitting under the "No alchohol or smoking in the dressing room sign"

- finding that sense of belonging.

- learning the game I fell in love with.

None of these are personal accomplishments, hell many of them aren't really special but that to me is what hockey is about.