Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgoblue

Hockey's Simple Pleasures

The first couple strides on a freshly flooded rink.

Playing with guys that appreciate a fine pass much more than a flashy goal.

The first time you skate pickup on a line with your kids.

Knowing anything negative in my life disappears from my mind when my skates are on.

Yup, I like this one! Also, relieving stress in you life and knowing that hockey is one of the reasons why you're relaxed.

The first time you skate pickup on a line with your kids.

From the opposite end, it was awesome getting my dad to come out one time. He was gassed, and with about ten minutes left got up to go to the locker room. I tapped his shins and said "How about one more shift." He kinda shrugged and sat back down. The change came and I got the wing, he was center. On a quick dump in I scooped up the puck in the corner, zipped a pass to my dad up front, and he snapped off a quick shot just under the trapper. Best assist I've ever had. :)

I know I might be repeating some but it's really cathartic to write them out for myself...........

- Smell of the ice rink

- Being the first one at the rink early in the morning

- New waxed laces

- Taping my stick

- Hockey in general during the holiday season

- Finding gear that fits/feels juuuuuuuuuuuust right (rare for me)

- Talking gear/hockey w/ people that actually know/understands what it's all about

- People at drop in that actually try to help the people that don't know how to play *big one for me*

- Seeing the same people at drop in/public skate for the last 15ish years, even if I don't know their names

- Seeing people rock old school gear!!!

- Cutting a stick down to my height

- Hitting the crossbar when just messing around/warming up

- Making a hard pass on target through traffic

- Poke checking someone who has really good hands

- Blocking the puck w/ my skate blade when people try to go between the legs on me (I like to play D)

- Going end to end, goal or not (very rare for me and i know it's not important, but fun)

- Playing NHL 95 in 2010 (not really hockey related I guess)

- Changing blades (sticks not skates)

- Catching someone who got a head start on me (especially if they look surprised after!!!)

and so much more.

I love this sport. :D

I'm fairly new to playing hockey and so far have only participated in stick and puck sessions a few pick up games.

here are my simple pleasures.

- The ice cold Red Bull on the way to the rink for a much needed caffeine rush. I know it isn't the best thing to ingest but if loving Red Bulls is wrong, I don't want to be right.

- Remembering to use the bathroom before I suit up.

- That nice warm sensation when I forget.

- When my jersey doesn't catch on elbow pad velcro.

- First step from rubber to ice. This one has been posted quite a bit in this thread. To me, nothing beats it.

- Playing through pain.

- Whining like a baby about the same pain when I get home to anyone who will listen.

- Hopping over boards from bench to ice.

- The pride I feel when I am still standing after doing so.

- Humility

- The Cold

- Passing the puck

- The helpful tips and encouragement I get from the better players.

- Not having a heart attack.

- Using the butt end of my stick to open the door.

- Taking my time getting dressed and getting home.

- The anticipation leading up to the next time I can get on the ice.

-Knowing that you beat people of higher talent level only because you played positions.

-Fresh ice.

-Freshly sharpened skates.

-Finding that EXACT piece of equipment you want on sale.

-Old gloves.

Coming back to the bench for shinny and thinking about food and other good stuff, only to realize how stupid you are. You proceed to grab your bottle, gulp a quick squirt and realize that water trumps everything.

The smell of the ice is way up there for me. I can be having a totally awful day, grumpy as anything, but when I get that whiff of frozen air it shoots right up my nose and starts the endorphins going.

Pulling off something I've never done before; in warmup a few weeks ago I was goofing around while the goalie stretched, cut in towards the goal, went backhand and roofed the puck bar-down. Elevating my backhand more than about 4 inches off the ice never happens for me, so for about 30 seconds I felt totally pro. :cool:

If only I could remember how I did it!

The radio playing the perfect song to get me revved up on my drive to the rink. That first pull of beer after the game, gear still on.

For me, it's the sounds.

One of my first memories is the sound of puck meeting stick, and of steel meeting ice. It's like music to me.

As "Blondie" said in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, "every gun makes its own tune."

Well, that's^^ so very true with hockey players as well.

For me, it's the sounds.

One of my first memories is the sound of puck meeting stick, and of steel meeting ice. It's like music to me.

As "Blondie" said in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, "every gun makes its own tune."

Well, that's^^ so very true with hockey players as well.

This and any bar in moment. I had a tourney winner with 8 seconds left went glove side post in and around. One of the best feelings I have ever had in my life!

Moving up and challenging my self only to realize I can keep up with the bigger boys against one of the best teams in the league.

Smell of the rink

Having great friends that encourage you all the way

Making a great pass instead of a goal and getting compliments from it

Coaching my old team I played for last season and everybody loving it

The league director telling you how happy he is to have someone like you playing (I was really humbled by his remarks)

I love the crunch the ice makes when your really pushing.

Also there is no greater satisfaction in hockey then blowing a shot by a goalie without them flinching.

Had my first proper day of hockey in ages this past weekend: a little warm-up shinny at 3 in the afternoon at the university pad, with probably the best group we've had out for that skate in a while, followed by my first league game in the better part of a year at 9:30 -- and had to mind the net with a grand total of 5 skaters on my team, against a three-line team that had beaten them 9-4 in my absence. We won 4-2, and really, it should have been 4-0 if I'd had my game together. We were too tired to make it to the room, so we just sat on the bench as the zambonis came out. But even as I was ruing my two rusty decisions, the grins started lighting up, and we realised what we'd pulled off. The water tasted like Veuve Clicquot, and not because there's something wrong with the pipes in the rink.

There's nothing like stepping on the ice and totally losing yourself in the game.

No other thought in your head but the Hockey.

And then, its not until 15 or 20 minutes into the car ride home you realize that every care, worry, problem, BS thing in your life disappeared or was blocked out for however long you were skating.

The ice in the summer, first thing in the morning when it's so humid it's foggy and the ice is crisp.

Watching the kids I taught how to skate play competitively in the youth league.

The locker room atmosphere, just being one of the "guys"

Feeling comfortable and balanced on my edges

Nice snug skates

A balls out footrace to catch a breakaway from behind when everything is clicking and you realize you can catch him :)

That feeling of power you get in your legs when you hit top speed.

That and the first gulp of fine Canuck brew.

-That perfect moment just before you step through the gate, head down, eyes closed, envisioning that first stride. And the last.

-Taking a shot to the ribs to make a game saving block in a playoff series. And being able to smile seeing a few cracks on an x-ray the following day.

-The bump after a goal.

-The handshake line, the truest showing of sportsmanship.