Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgoblue

Hockey's Simple Pleasures

The feel of going into the arena on a 40c+ day and having to put on your jacket while you lace up your skates because it's so cold :)

Something for us Aussies! :P

Last monday night the heat messed with the rink badly, there was so much mist that you couldn't see from one end to the other!

Yep, been having troubles with that here the past few weeks too - biggest problem is all the steel beams on the roof, the light fittings and disco ball in the middle build up condensation and drip onto the ice, you and up with all these little mounds on the ice - keeps life interesting :)

haha that happens at my local rink in the summer. so when i skate out for drop in i will be cuttin across the middle and then, blow a tire. just makes it even more challenging. i truly don't think there are many things i don't like about the game after reading so many of these posts. what would we do without this sport?

- hearing "i scored a hat trick last night in NHL 09" and replying "I went pointless last night in drop in" and knowing my night was still much, much better

- having friends who are all much better athletes than me, and then getting them out on the ice to turn the tables.

{quick backstory} I started playing hockey at 18. After watching thegame my whole life, playing street hockey, and skating occasionally, halfway through my senior year of high school i threw myself into hockey, timewise, moneywise, and love this game for all its worth. Of course, i am the second of 5 boys, so anything I do I won't be alone. Two of my little brothers were right there behind me when they started to play. Because they are young and don't have jobs, their equipment isn't as nice as mine, and they certainly don't play as often as I do. But I always smile when I get home from College for a weekend and they always greet me with "Did you bring your gear" and then tell me how they have scrounged up 6 dollars for sticks and pucks or ten dollars for drop in, just waiting for me. I feed my addiction to hockey at least once a week, but they have to wait sometimes a month or more, so it's great to see their passion intact after a layoff.

11 goals and 2 assists in 4 games.

How would you like the plaque to read?

Freakin' kids that just don't get it.

Why can't I have scoring as one of my pleasures... you kidding me? To make you happy my next favorite pleasure would be throwing in a chaw and hanging out with the boys after a skate.

Why can't I have scoring as one of my pleasures... you kidding me? To make you happy my next favorite pleasure would be throwing in a chaw and hanging out with the boys after a skate.

I love when people prove my points for me.

I love when people prove my points for me.

If you're going to take it this seriously don't you think it has ventured beyond "simple pleasures"

Seeing new hockey players believing in themselves. I'll explain:

I recently started playing hockey after a long hiatus (almost two decades), and joined a team of randoms in Div5 beer league in attempt to get my legs back.

Our team consists of a random bunch who really did not know each other at all, aside from me and a best friend who played C level Peewee together almost 20 years ago. We have several guys that are mid to late 40s who recently started playing (actually just started skating would be a better description.) The league we play in has its favorite house teams, we are not one of them, as this is the first year we have played together, versus some teams that have played there for years.

As you can probably guess, we got smoked all season long. I think our final record was 1-14 and 2 ties (one of the ties being against a team that didn't have a goalie :D ) Those of us on the team with hockey sense would always go over things after losses, pointing out the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Fast forward to Sunday, our first playoff game: Every single person on the team plays like they are possessed. The guy who never backchecks was aggressive, the guys who always bunch up stayed spread out,the guy who would always freak out and dump the puck the second he touched it was relaxed and held the puck for a second before seeing and making the cross ice pass, and everybody took short shifts.

Our team had more shots on goal that game than we probably had in all the previous games against this opponent. The end result was a 5-2 victory, and a lot of amped beginners looking forward to the championship series.

Being rewarded ice time/line wise for hard work. I'm certainly not the most skilled guy but I can't help but feel alot more confident when I've been working on my game and get thrown out there during crucial situations.

Seeing the look on your buddy/goalies face when you steal the puck off his D and bury the puck top shelf, as he gets barely a mm of it on his T web.

The feelings of accomplishment, luck, camaraderie and - most of all - relief that swirl around the dressing room after a Game Seven win at home...especially after coming-up with a huge win on the road in Game Six to force said Game Seven.

Hearing your doctor say you can play again.

I never realized how great these words were until I heard them myself.

totally agree!

Taping your stick and it comes out perfect

That smell that hits me on that first deep breath as i enter the rink

Scoring that huge goals

Getting that huge assist

That sound that Perfect shinpad tape makes

Blocking a huge slapper and actually being acknowledged for it

These are just a few

That may be the case, but especially at HS and Junior levels, I'm seeing more of these arrogant and individualistic attitudes. It's all about "I'm better than you and I'm going to let you know that." There's little respect left in the game, it's truly tragic.

I've said it before: I blame Warrior and influences of the like that incite and perpetuate a lack of respect for the spirit of hockey and the sportsmanship it has facilitated. I despise the long-haired, pink-stick using, wheeled-shoe having culture that has found its way into ice arenas.

Whats wrong with long hair :rolleyes:

-Waking up at 5 in the morning to go shoot on goalies, and then driving by the lake when the sun sets!

-Skating on the ice when the lights are off

-The smell of fresh ice once you walk into the rink

-Going bar down on your first shot in warmies

-Making a crisp break out pass

-Scoring on a move you never meant to make

-Playing some shinny with your boys for hours!

- The sound of the puck ringing the post before it goes into the net

- Deking the sh*t out of both defensemen....and then the goalie

- Making a great play right in that spot on the rink where your friends and family are closest to.

- Lining up for the opening faceoff the first game of the season.

- Finishing off the gatorade on the car ride home.

- Putting on a brand new pair of hockey pants before a game

- Scoring a goal the first day you use a new stick.

- Throwing a big hit on the other team's biggest player/goal scorer.

- Dropping gloves with the other's team biggest @$$hole when no one else will...and getting props for it.

:D