Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoublinUp

Un-Written Rules of Hockey

can't forget about the guys who think they are tough because of thier size. I'm about 5'10"/190lbs, last week the other team had a Dman about 6'4. I play alot in the front of the net and don't mind taking a beating as long as it's honest. I pull up in front to get position and this guys starts laying into me good and saying "you gonna try and out muscle me in front of my own net" like it was suppose to intimidate me. So I respond with Yep and change my position. Next thing I know this guys starts butt ending me in the side of the head. After about 3 wacks I had enough and retaliated with a good solid cross check. One of my team mates comes in to pull me out and the guys starts in on him with a week cross check to his face. I get 2, he gets a game. Completely uncalled for. If you can't play the game or don't have skills then practice instead of trying to hurt someone.

I play in a beer league, and just this past weekend there was a small push/ shoving going on. When one of my teammates went up to the other player to ask what his problem was. The dude headbutt my teammate. Yes you read correctly headbutt. I guess in the rule book its "if you throw a punch you sit a game", but needles to say he is out for one and maybe more games.

He should get a match penalty for intent to injure (603a) and be suspended until he goes before your ruling disciplinary board or at the very least a major plus a game misconduct (616c)

can't forget about the guys who think they are tough because of thier size. I'm about 5'10"/190lbs, last week the other team had a Dman about 6'4. I play alot in the front of the net and don't mind taking a beating as long as it's honest. I pull up in front to get position and this guys starts laying into me good and saying "you gonna try and out muscle me in front of my own net" like it was suppose to intimidate me. So I respond with Yep and change my position. Next thing I know this guys starts butt ending me in the side of the head. After about 3 wacks I had enough and retaliated with a good solid cross check. One of my team mates comes in to pull me out and the guys starts in on him with a week cross check to his face. I get 2, he gets a game. Completely uncalled for. If you can't play the game or don't have skills then practice instead of trying to hurt someone.

I'm the same size as you and get that all the time, but what the other guy doesn't know is that I have a 400lb bench press from playing cfb so when they square up and try to confront me all it takes is one quick tug by the collar of their jersey and they're on the ice with everyone on their bench laughing at them.... That usually shuts em up

I play alot in the front of the net and don't mind taking a beating as long as it's honest. I pull up in front to get position...

You park yourself in front of the net at pickup/shinny???

:rolleyes:

I play alot in the front of the net and don't mind taking a beating as long as it's honest. I pull up in front to get position...

We're gettin' a li'l fur away frum unwritten rulez but I don't see much wrong with that either. Still just as fun when someone is screening the goalie and picking up trash. Just don't match your stick with my helmet when you spin around to get the puck behind the net.

And I generally don't poke guys standing in front of me unless they touch me a second time.

here's another unwritten rule: PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH. if you're going to lecture everyone on the bench, follow it up on the ice.

And admit it when you don't. We all have bad shifts from time to time.

totally agree with this one. i am usually the first one to admit if i took a bit of a long shift, if i didnt backcheck or anything in that regard and most guys respect me for that, and its helped my game alot with constructive criticism from others because they see i am open to it.

also the high stick thing, total no no. keep your stick on the ice. there is no reason why your stick should be above your waist anyways...

never said it was pick up or shinny. It's a mens league.

It's funny how we break so many of these unbroken rule at my stick and puck hockey. Mind you, we are always pretty much the same bunch so we know one another inside out. I'm just back playing out after a two year hiatus as a goalie and I used to get screened and I do the same given my thick body and height. We show boat sometimes just to piss our friends off that play on the other team. Loads of fun!! well except when we get pummelled 24-6 in a hour and a half game but aside from that...

don't know if it's been mentioned but no sandbaggin' or pouting... that shit ain't cool. several instances of that in Van-city pick-up hockey where old W wash-ups come out for pick up and don't skate, back-check or pass and score like 7 goals cause they hog the puck, damn i hate that. or they can't score on the 5'3'' goalie and leave after half an hour...

back check? whats this? you just around in the neutral zone and wait for a pass right?

no forechecking either. just stand around and hope something comes your way.

Most self respecting hockey players will end a bad shift with, "Get me the f--- off the ice."

+1 to that.

I've said those exact words when pulling myself from a game.

When you accidently hit someone in the face/visor/helmet it's just good manners to apologise. Even if it means forgetting about the puck and doing it there and then.

I stress this to my kids all the time when I teach them about how to hold their stick in senior hockey. So many times I have been hit in the head (accidently or not) and no one says a word from the opposing team.

When you carry yourself with a smidge'n of class in this game it makes a huge difference.

Not only is it a classy thing to do but it can instantly diffuse a touchy situation.

So true. A simple "sorry" while looking someone in the eyes after whaling on their visor keeps everything from getting goonified.

That was evident yesterday. Young guy, with quick feet almost took my head off, didn't even look at me afterwards. Needless to say, revenge didn't take long, hell it never does when someone goes into the corners without looking.

I don't know if this was discussed in this thread but i'll asked.

When playing recreational hockey, just for fun, nothing on the line, etc... Is there an unwritten rule that says a forward shouldn't try a slapshot when 1 on 1 vs a defense man? Most of the times, the shot will end up in the D's ankles and represents an unnecessary risk of injury. I personally get pissed off when i get shot in the ankles during a friendly game.

On the other end, my brother says the D should get out of the way and let him take the far shot when seeing the forward cranking up. Makes no sense to me.

I've been on both sides of that one. As a defenseman, if I see him skating on the outside, and winding up, I'll tell him to take the shot and I'll step aside. A goalie should 99% of the time stop that shot.

As the forward, if the defenseman doesn't move out of the way, fake the shot and go around him.

how about slapshots into traffic on an open net (no goalies) at open hockey when 3/4 of the people out there are not wearing shoulder pads? thats always nice.