Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoublinUp

Un-Written Rules of Hockey

Too bad. We have them, we use them. You can't exactly keep a bag anywhere else but in the locker room. I agree that they can be a pain to walk around, but you really just gotta deal with it.

Then tuck it against the wall under the bench. If you have an oversize bag in a small room, have a little courtesy.

I try. In rooms with lockers and such instead of benches, or when it's rather crowded and other people's 'small' bags are preventing me from doing so, it's not always possible. But if somebody tells me that I can't use my bag, I'm not exactly going to pay much attention to them. If you have a problem with it, you can buy me a new bag that meets your size standards that still manages to dry and help disinfect my gear.

I think Chadd did that once to someone as well.

Our scrimmage session gets packed sometimes, 40 plus guys inc. 4 goalies. What the guy does who runs it, is blow a whistle every 2-4 mins, which singles a full line change for both teams. Keeps everyone fresh, the hockey good and you only sit on the bench for a short period.

I have been in a similar situation where there is an overload of guys at drop ins. The guys at the rink are pretty good in terms of ice time where we switch full lines (5 at a time) after every 3 minutes. Everyone is pretty cool with this and everyone gets equal ice time. No outside supervision is required

I try. In rooms with lockers and such instead of benches, or when it's rather crowded and other people's 'small' bags are preventing me from doing so, it's not always possible. But if somebody tells me that I can't use my bag, I'm not exactly going to pay much attention to them. If you have a problem with it, you can buy me a new bag that meets your size standards that still manages to dry and help disinfect my gear.

Why not use the Shock Doctor bag at home, and use a smaller, cheap bag just to transport the equipment to/from games?

Why not use the Shock Doctor bag at home, and use a smaller, cheap bag just to transport the equipment to/from games?

That's what I do. Those SD bags are a pain to get through doors or tight spaces and are as heavy as hell. I even get annoyed by my basic easton carry bag. I am thinking of getting a jr. bag or the smallest sr. bag I can find.

Isn't the whole idea behind the SD Bag that you don't have to take your gear out and place it somewhere to air it out. I say use it.

Isn't the whole idea behind the SD Bag that you don't have to take your gear out and place it somewhere to air it out. I say use it.

The whole idea behind the SD bag is so you can air out your equipment while in the bag. Its a unique feature. That feature comes at the cost of mobility, price, weight and size. If I had my gear in one I really wouldn't care what people say about it but then again I wouldn't want to carry that monstrous thing around either.

Don't yell for the puck if you're not open. You know the type. The guy who calls for the puck regardless if the pass makes good sense or not. Everybody wants the puck, but it does your team no good to distract the puck carrier's eyes away from legitimate options when there's always that one guy that thinks he's open, even though he usually isn't.

mostly just don't call for the puck. 70% of the time if you deserve it and are in position to do something with it you'll probably get it.

Good point.

The exception is the point. There are a lot of forwards out there (even ones who aren't total jerkoffs) who end up with the puck down in the corner and it's like their eyes get locked on the net, even though they're below the goal line with a D and the center blocking their passing lanes and their own D is hopping up and down at the top of the faceoff circle, wide open and screaming his lungs out for a pass.

...Not that that's ever happened to me. All the time. Or anything. ;)

Don't yell for the puck if you're not open. You know the type. The guy who calls for the puck regardless if the pass makes good sense or not. Everybody wants the puck, but it does your team no good to distract the puck carrier's eyes away from legitimate options when there's always that one guy that thinks he's open, even though he usually isn't.

mostly just don't call for the puck. 70% of the time if you deserve it and are in position to do something with it you'll probably get it.

Good point.

The exception is the point. There are a lot of forwards out there (even ones who aren't total jerkoffs) who end up with the puck down in the corner and it's like their eyes get locked on the net, even though they're below the goal line with a D and the center blocking their passing lanes and their own D is hopping up and down at the top of the faceoff circle, wide open and screaming his lungs out for a pass.

...Not that that's ever happened to me. All the time. Or anything. ;)

yeah i f'in hate that. i've stopped calling for passes at the point, now. by the time they look up, see me, and decide that they'd rather get an assist instead of a shot at a goal, the pass gets picked off anyways. and if you are going to pass it my way, make sure it's hard and crisp. i dont have time to settle down your fluttering grandma pass.

EDIT: i LOVE how there's twenty three pages of unwritten rules. gotta love this game!

yeah i f'in hate that. i've stopped calling for passes at the point, now. by the time they look up, see me, and decide that they'd rather get an assist instead of a shot at a goal, the pass gets picked off anyways. and if you are going to pass it my way, make sure it's hard and crisp. i dont have time to settle down your fluttering grandma pass.

Ja, I usually play the Tommy Holstrom role in front of the net on my team's PP. However last week in a game, I was kicked out of my posi and the guy in there wouldn't change when we cycled due to an out of posi winger. My shot from the point was off on that game and I didn't want to be taking them.

To cut it short, my bench was screaming for me to shoot one timer when every pass I got was woeful. wobbly off to the side pieces of crapp that were hard to stop/trap little though one time from. Very frustrating I agree Shotty.

My brother is 22 and looks like he is about 15 or 16, and was told by a guy that was just playing (didn't work at the rink or anything) to get off the ice because he "obviously" wasn't 18, and he would not drop it, when my brother told the jackass he was 22 the guy says "Look kid don't lie to me i know you are a high schooler." even if he was a high schooler it's not your job to kick him off the damn ice.

Here's one of my favorite unwritten rules:

If you use chew while hanging out on the ice and you spit onto the ice - you are, by law, required to scrape at it ineffectually with the tip of your stick blade for a few seconds.

At least that seems like the rule to me.

If you use chew while hanging out on the ice and you spit onto the ice - you are, by law, required to scrape at it ineffectually with the tip of your stick blade for a few seconds.

I don't understand this rule. Do you mean spitting the gum or just spitting saliva? Why is there a need to scrape it if it's saliva?

I don't understand this rule. Do you mean spitting the gum or just spitting saliva? Why is there a need to scrape it if it's saliva?

He's talking about chewing tobacco. Some guys are really obnoxious with that.

woof. amen. Played with a guy who dipped and it was like skating around landmines.

yeah...I'm sure it's been said already but people who spit on the inside of the boards by the bench, where people keep their water bottles. Especially the ones who dip. Just don't.

if you can't skate, wear a friggin cage. i'm sure this has been mentioned, but i just saw some guy whose been playing for a relatively short amount of time lose a handful of teeth after falling in front of the net.

So many good ideas here i just wish more players went by this code. I personally play the game as if it was a real game..not physically speaking but i do put an honest effort into every shift. A lot of people give me the "What Ever"...when i gripe about the constant cherry picking going on or the fact that I'm always the first guy to get back on D when i watch everyone practically coast back to backcheck or even the whole drop-in hockey is: 4 forwards 1 defense bull shit....idk. I just love playing 100% i just wish others in my Sat night group felt that same.

If you want consistently serious play out of pickup, then you probably should look for another pickup group or a private ice rental where all the guys think the same way, or play in a higher level league. A lot of guys are at pickup to try something out or get a bit of exercise. It's not the same as pickup basketball, where the game can get mutually intense without animosity between players. There are a lot of chances for people to practice basketball without having to go to the park and play half court two on two for keeps. The same can't be said for ice hockey.

Don't get me wrong here, i'm 100% satisfied with playing with ppl that dont play at such a high level. I actually enjoy playing with all levels of players..you learn better that way. i was more implicating that i h8 playing with ppl who just stand at center waiting for the pass and never play defense thats all.

im very similar to livhockey. i dont go crazy out there, but i hustle my ass off cause to me i feel better doing that then if i just coasted around. i dont go checking and all that other stuff, but i do occasionally block some shots, and just play at 100%. no one has really complained. and the people that just play offence bug me as liv said. maybe thats why i try and play both ends of the ice?

Don't be the guy that doesn't skate until they get the puck. Don' t sit in the neutral zone your whole shift waiting for something to come your way. Make an effort!

Fo Sho...i love blocking shots @ drop-in...they just dont expect you to make that sort of an effort....lol

Have you ever played drop-in with Ed Carravallah at either Inkster or Garden City?

Don't be the guy that doesn't skate until they get the puck. Don' t sit in the neutral zone your whole shift waiting for something to come your way. Make an effort!
Fo Sho...i love blocking shots @ drop-in...they just dont expect you to make that sort of an effort....lol

Have you ever played drop-in with Ed Carravallah at either Inkster or Garden City?

Maybe, I dont know everyone's names yet?