Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoublinUp

Un-Written Rules of Hockey

We ran a guy out of our Friday game for that. After a year's worth of apologizing and begging, he played again last week.

I've told them: I don't care if you load up on me, but don't do it to anyone else.

heh, i swear one night this guy must have taken 15 slap shots into traffic from the point or lower (by the faceoff circles) and probably missed the empty net on over half of them. (and the ones he hit? GOAAAAAAAAAAAL THROW YOUR HANDS UP AND CELEBRATE)

RE: slapshots into traffic.

I play in a beginners league (which is a only a step or two up from drop in). We were on the bottom side of a blowout late when the puck squirted out of the zone. I was curling back across the blueline to get back onsides when a guy on my team (out of frustration I guess), wound up fired a slapshot from about 10 feet away from me. Caught me right above that knob on the inside of my ankle, just above the top of my skate. First time

I've been hit like that. That stuff smarts!

FWIW, the guy was very apologetic and realized it was a stupid thing to do.

So yeah... no dump in slapshots into traffic at the end of a blowout (or anytime for that matter) is probably a good unwritten rule.

In reading all of the above some goalies are funny in pick up/warm ups in particular. I have one goalie who insists we snipe top corner and deke on warmups. Whilst another demands only low pad shoots. Difficult when a young kid comes in and one of us "Vets" (I'm 26) forgets to tell him and the goalie looses his sheet at the kid. ;)

Some guys are very particular about wanting to warm their feet and knees up more than their hands. In my salad days, I used to warm up my hands with an India-rubber ball for a good fifteen minutes before going on the ice, and soccer/hackey-sack doesn't really translate well to goalie-specific movement, so I did ask for predominantly low shots in the warmup. A low-shot warmup is also useful because the vast majority of shots come to the bottom third of the net, and produce the most dangerous rebounds.

There are other goalies who ask to be hit with the puck - ie. midline shots only - so they can get their core rebound control up to speed.

Personally, nothing beat a few quick games of "Juice Boy," (point-screen, half-board walk-out, goal-line jam, behind-the-net) or as it's come to be known when less healthful substances predominate, "Beer Bitch."

That said, flipping out on a new guy who doesn't know the warmup routine is a bit thick. The only time I ever lost it was when some clown tagged me in the back of the neck - puck to bare skin - during the warmup for an exhibition game, when I was facing a simulated 3-on-2 and he was just dicking around to the side. He got a mouthful of blocker, then got cut by the team after the game. Arsehead.

Oh, I missed the part about during the warm up and thought they wanted that the whole game.

haha.

I had a buddy who was a goalie. he asked for shots only, didn't matter where. but the punks on his team came in during warm ups doing f'in 3-4 move dekes repeatedly, so he'd just stand at the top of the crease in his set position and let them deke around him without even flinching, and they'd all get mad at him for not trying to stop them. talk about missing the point of the warm up.

I often deke the goalie in warmups, helps me get my hands warmed up. I don't care if a goalie doesn't try to stop it though, though I like it if they do as the practice helps.

On teams, one of the goalies I play with likes me doing that to help him warm up, the other will take some and ignore others.

In pickup, goalies have no justification in complaining. We don't know your warmup preferences, don't expect us to.

At the last open hockey session, some kids drank out of my water bottle without asking, as if they were entitled to it. After it was empty, I told them that they could at least go refill it. They just shrugged. Hopefully next time, they won't touch my newly customized bottle.

bottle.jpg

10-15 minutes is plenty of warm up for a drop-in game. It drives me nuts when everyone is yelling at two or three guys who'd spend the whole damn skate taking runs at the goalie if you'd let them to put the pucks in so we can start. Also, and I really don't think this should never need to be said, but behind the goal is not the place to drop down on the ice and stretch.

This is more for the rink running the drop-in:

When the limit is reached, dont let more people in. Its not very fun when you sit for 10 15 min between shifts!

That has happened to me with 7 or 8 guys on a side.

At the last open hockey session, some kids drank out of my water bottle without asking, as if they were entitled to it. After it was empty, I told them that they could at least go refill it.

i wrote: THIS BOTTLE WILL GIVE YOU HERPES on my bottle, and everyone stayed away from it.

Best one I've heard (might have even been in this thread) was having a dummy bottle that looks identical to your normal one, putting cheap vodka in it, leaving it where you normally leave yours and switching your normal one in after a few people have learned their lesson.

I think Chadd did that once to someone as well.

Our scrimmage session gets packed sometimes, 40 plus guys inc. 4 goalies. What the guy does who runs it, is blow a whistle every 2-4 mins, which singles a full line change for both teams. Keeps everyone fresh, the hockey good and you only sit on the bench for a short period.

Rink hoggs HockeyMan. Some guys will stay on the ice for 10 mins if not monitored. So the whistle keeps the fitness level of the session up, the hockey quality increases as well beause of the increased pace. Allot of the newer guys (lads who have been playing only 1-2 years) have shown really marked and quick improvement with this method too.

If we can we try and match lines skill/experience wise as well.

Don't show up to open hockey without a helmet.

One guy did that the other night, and skated the whole time with no helmet. We couldn't believe someone actually did that, one of the guys asked him and he said he forgot it. I was really hoping he would get kicked off the ice, but it was late and the only person left working there wasn't paying any attention.

One guy did that the other night, and skated the whole time with no helmet. We couldn't believe someone actually did that, one of the guys asked him and he said he forgot it. I was really hoping he would get kicked off the ice, but it was late and the only person left working there wasn't paying any attention.

The other night at a pick-up game I went to, a guy came out to play with us in just gloves and a helmet. Mind you everybody else wears full gear. I thought he was just doing the warm-up at first, but he stuck around for a half hour or so into the game. Nobody wanted to pressure the guy or take shots when he was out there. Atleast put on some shin pads???

The other night at a pick-up game I went to, a guy came out to play with us in just gloves and a helmet. Mind you everybody else wears full gear. I thought he was just doing the warm-up at first, but he stuck around for a half hour or so into the game. Nobody wanted to pressure the guy or take shots when he was out there. Atleast put on some shin pads???

If people do that during a session where everybody else plays with pads, just act like he is wearing pads. If they want to whine about it, all you have to do is suggest that they wear pads like the rest of the world.

Or go the snark route:

"You're right. Wouldn't it be amazing if they made something to protect your legs. Perhaps made of hard plastic with padding on the inside? That could make a lot of money."

If you're dumb enough to show up to a drop in game with nothing but your bucket and gloves you pretty much deserve what you get. Never really understood the logic behind the "I'm so good I don't need pads" line of thought. Doesn't really matter whether you're Wayne Gretzky, or putting on skates for the first time, getting hit with the puck, falling, and running into the boards are just part of the game.