Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

2009 Las Vegas LPH Show Review

Crazy trip. That's all I can say at this point.

On to the show -

There were 30 more exhibitors than last year - the numbers that LPH gave me was 135 this year as opposed to 105 last year. Seemed to see more manufacturer reps than dealers however, but most of the booths that I did go in did say that they were very busy. Warrior, Reebok/CCM, Vaughn and Blackstone did have quite a bit of traffic at all times.

Here's some impressions:

Warrior - Like I stated in my catalogue review, I could not comment on the protective because I hadn't seen it. I came out of the booth pretty much blown away by it. Pads fit great and a lot of the options are functional and make total sense, and are new ideas. I'll expand on it in the Warrior thread.

Mission - Business as usual on the roller side. Two things to note are that the helmets are staying put and the Mission Titanium (the one that replaces the Ti-Pro) will be coming out at retail. Almost took a 75 Boyes back with me but am having the boys just mail it to me.

Reebok/CCM - Sat down and checked out the protective - those who love Jofa have nothing to worry about. The changes are good - good shin strapping system, very comfortable. The 10K elbow is essentially identical to the 5044, which is awesome. The chest and back on the shoulders have a better shape to it so it doesn't bunch up like the old Jofa pads. Really liked the CCM 4R glove as well. Finally saw the U+CL. DAMN.

Easton - they've scaled down their booth in recent years but did have everything out there.

Eagle - new pants and girdles (it's really not hard to figure out ;) as well as a new model in the X88. Custom program will continue as before.

TPS - as many of you know, Sher-Wood bought the assets. At the time, we were told that it was no longer going forward, but based on their section in the Sher-Wood booth, it is not the case. Looks like everything is going forward from here on out.

Tour - new skate and I'll post the picture I took tomorrow.

Cascade - the new helmet is essentially a tweak - I spoke to Kelly Dyer and she explained to me that what they did was bring the back of the helmet up a bit (making it look more like a hockey helmet than a motorcycle helmet), shortened the Seven technology springs so that it lowered the height of the helmet, and streamlined the front.

Miken - Known for their ball products, they are now making a go at it in hockey. Stick looks plain and will be quite the tough sell at a $279 MSRP/$249 MAP. Good luck with that.

Brooklynite - had a pretty good sized booth and a nice setup for a "last-minute" setup. Had their new goal model as well as another new model that was pretty minimalistic on paint (had the full carbon look) Handle shape on the sticks are pretty thin, which is a plus for me.

EvoShield - a member on here is an intern for them and told me to check out their booth. They have a composite material which is activated to take shape once exposed to air and compression. It's one of the coolest products I've seen in quite a bit when it comes to protection - you pull the pad out of the vacuum-sealed bag, smooth out the wrinkles, then put it in the shirt or wristguard and whatnot, and it will then take shape to your body and harden up after about 30 minutes. Justin gave me a set of his wristguards which are being used in the NHL, and I did it on the plane. Totally formed around my wrist to the point that it isn't comfortable unless it's in the exact same spot. He's working on a hockey application (most of his shirts are for football and whatnot) with the EvoShield pads in strategic locations. Here's a link to how mine came out.

Chocoversity - probably the coolest edible item I've seen at the show (and yes, there have been quite a few over the years) - they make chocolate, however, can print on it with a printer that uses food dye. They have a licensing agreement with the NHL/NHLPA (he gave me a David Perron chocolate trading card) and allowed Drew and I to take a picture in which they then printed on a chocolate lollipop. Absolutely hilarious and hopefully someone gets the reference.

Sante - another product that was recommended by a MSHer - their products are being used in the medical industry for sanitizing purposes. They have two products that they are bringing to the sports market - one is a lotion that kills 99.9% of bacteria, including MRSA, and will protect your skin for 4 hrs. The product can also be rubbed into glove palms, disinfecting as well as softening the palm. Their spray can be sprayed directly onto gear (or skin, it won't hurt.) Very impressed.

That's it for now - I will have more and pictures as well - I just need to catch up on some rest!

Here are some pics from the show...

Regarding TPS. Does that mean the R10 will stay in production? Or will SWD just start up their own TPS line. If you can elaborate on the status of TPS I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Is there going to be a member of SWD or someone in general to tell us the details of the future for both companies in the transaction? I'd like to know similar answers as the Bauer/Mission transaction; ie...

Will both SWD and TPS stick lines continue as-is?

What about protective lines?

Goal?

etc...

---------------

Definitely looking forward to the Warrior protective line after that review. Also the 10K elbow and the U+CL, first time I've REALLY looked forward to a stick.

Good to hear that the new mission TIs will be sticking around. Picked up one last week and for 150 bucks it is the best "value" price in my book.

that's cool I was just wondering if it could be used like the old stinkout type stuff could be, and get things a little cleaner that way. thanks for the info.

Generally agree with everything J.R. said except for the Warrior protective, I felt that their Shoulder pads were great but that the elbows and shins left a lot to be desired for the price that they were asking. What I saw from Easton and Rbk at the show was better for the price. I will say that their pants and gloves were good and I think will sell well.

Do you guys think Brooklynite will take off?

His booth was busy all day, both days. The gloves are ok, just like they were when they were Fury gloves. As for the sticks, who knows? Everyone likes something different. Now is a good time for small players to grow in the industry.

I picked up one of the greenbiscuit pucks at the show. As someone who coaches in a market where there's not enough ice time if it works well it will be huge from both a retail and coaching perspective. I'm actually headed down to the tennis court this afternoon to give it a try.

Cool I'm interested to see how it works. I normally use a Smarthockey ball in the garage on the smooth concrete, but the size and speed throws me off when I get back on ice. I'd buy one of these Greenbiscuit things if it works decently.

Cool I'm interested to see how it works. I normally use a Smarthockey ball in the garage on the smooth concrete, but the size and speed throws me off when I get back on ice. I'd buy one of these Greenbiscuit things if it works decently.

Paint the floor, then pledge it. Then a real puck feels almost like ice, just a tad slower. I didn't pledge the floor that much though since I don't want anyone to slip

Went out to a basketball court with my inlines and the greenbiscuit yesterday afternoon and it worked really well. I was really impressed with how well it handled and I will be ordering them for my shop on monday.