Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dsjunior1388

Multi-dimensional Gear Whore?

Golf for sure. I don't whore as much for equipment as I do for clothing though, mind you I love buying wedges, favourite part of my game. As for outfits, I have at least 25-30 different high quality Dri-Fit, Bobby Jones, you name it shirts, they don't come cheap. I also rep Callaway-Ashworth pants that are just beautiful. Hoping to get a custom pair of shoes this year.

IMO you really cant be a gear whore in anything other than hockey and lacrosse. Sure you can have a couple golf clubs or baseball bats but that doesnt make you a whore

Trust me it can add up. Between cleats , hats, batting gloves, bats , gloves , and if you catch gear. Whoring is not a problem

IMO you really cant be a gear whore in anything other than hockey and lacrosse. Sure you can have a couple golf clubs or baseball bats but that doesnt make you a whore

Do you play golf ? Like Barrett said, it will add up. Between shoes, clubs, bags, outfits, and a bunch of different accesories, you can have a lot of different stuff.

I'm almost as bad with shooting, only I don't seem to be able to part with anything firearms related that I don't end up liking/using.

I've played/am currently playing pretty competitive baseball, and my equipment preferences are completely different from the way i treat my hockey equipment. I catch so, the most money is tied up in my catching gear and bat, but I will run my baseball gear into the ground before I decide to replace it. I've even been known to use athletic tape to hold my cleats together because I simply don't want to change them out. With my hockey I like everything to look very clean and sharp, but for whatever reason I really prefer to look like a dirt ball when I play baseball. Different environments I suppose. Even when I look at pros in either sport, I seem to be drawn to the NHLers who look very sharp and clean, but with baseball I'll take a guy who's jersey is caked with a combination of dirt and sweat, and hat looks like it has been in use for four year. I can't explain it, but the idea of whoring baseball equipment gives me the heebie jeebies, whereas I'm always looking for new hockey gear...

Snowboarding, scuba diving, sky diving...

Oh dear. I seem to pick the more expensive sports too.

Tell me about it, I've been picking up some dive gear lately.

Trust me it can add up. Between cleats , hats, batting gloves, bats , gloves , and if you catch gear. Whoring is not a problem

oh yes, hats are a big one for me. I wrote a paper for creative writing from the prompt "what is your favorite article of clothing" and through retrospection I realized the first article of clothing I ever bought was a baseball cap at age 7, and since then I have bought over 100 and well over $1000 worth. Currently have about 5 in the rotation:, the Atlanta flames, minnesota north stars, quebec nordiques, new york Baseball giants, and an old english D red wings hat that i bought over a year before the winter classic. the last is a peterborough petes hat. and now Im tempted by a feww of the cooperstown collection on lids...here we go again

Good thing about that is dive gear tends to last many years without needing anything but a quick maintenance check eh? my set of regulator is some scubapro stuff that I bought probably 7 years ago, still runs perfect today

Good thing about that is dive gear tends to last many years without needing anything but a quick maintenance check eh? my set of regulator is some scubapro stuff that I bought probably 7 years ago, still runs perfect today

Thats one reason I like my tennis racket stringer... It's about 20 years old but still works perfectly. Its expensive to buy, but lasts forever.

not really a sport, but i like buying hats and shoes for no other reason then thinking they are kool. just bought some vans hightop (not old school) that are turquoise. haha.

Golf - I've bought probably 10 iron sets in the last 4 years, and maybe 15 drivers. I used to give them to buddies or trade them in. Now I just keep them since they definitely don't give you much when you trade them in. I keep a set in Tampa and one in Dallas, since I used to travel there on business quite often.

Cars - I haven't driving a car for more than 18 months in the last 6 years. I pay for them in full, then trade them in and get hosed. My last car was an Benz S430, my current car is a BMW M5, so you know I'm really dumb whore when it comes to motorsports.

I could never wear Nike batting gloves. I had one pair of Eastons that I killed and used for a while after I should have ditched them because I couldn't find a good replacement... still haven't. :(

I dont mean to throw salt on the wound or anything, but heres a pair I got for free last year from the guys at Easton when they were clearing out their old stuff.

Dustin Pedroia BGs

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i140/KDo...24/100_0937.jpg

I found a great deal on a Cressi Titanium/ MC7 regulator on ebay, should be here any day now. Also tracked down a cheap computer and a BCD with an octo on the inflator. Right around $500 for everything.

Ditto on golf. Pro-V1* or bust. Vokie spinmill wedges, rocking a Ping Rapture driver and oldschool 990s. Thinking about picking up a used pair of mp33s.

I also picked up some nice skis a few seasons ago, Volkl AC3 unlimited with a pair of Solomon boots. Like $1400.

And I don't even ski all that often, (living in DC, no good skiing within like 4 hours).

Whatever sport I play, I just like having my own gear.

Im getting this way with disc golf I have about 18 discs now. the advantage to this hobby is the fact that the most expensive disc costs 20 bucs.

Scotty Cameron putters. 'Nuff said.

for those who don't know... this is a collection that can get expensive VERY fast. I got a deal on mine and got it new for 200, I love knowing that I have one in my bag... no more excuses on the green :D

Cameron's retail for about 375 Canadian, I have seen custom ones go on ebay for 1000-2500 maybe more sometimes. He sells putter covers for 90 bucks and the exclusive/rare ones sometimes go for 200 bucks!

all of this for one club in the golf bag.

Waterskiing:

Mastercraft 190 Prostar comp ski boat (with a marinized LT-1 in it..330hp)

Goode 9800 waterski, animal boots

HO Monza

Too many old skis to list...more than a dozen collected over the years including a vintage Maherajah that was my 1st really good ski

several wetsuits, one dry suit

a barefoot suit

a barefooting boom

ropes

gloves

etc.

Snowskiing:

Rossi GS 9x race room skis

Head Monster 78s

Atomic ti plug boots

Best gear whore story:

I arrive home a little late one friday afternoon, and we are supposed to heading up to the cottage. I have picked up a new waterski on my way home, tha I had been eyeing for a while. At that time I had a small car, so the new ski is coming from the back seat and is half way, resting on the middle console/glovebox between the front seats; and it is kind of in the way.

I see my wife looking at it and I am waiting for the eye-rolling , how much did that cost question. But it doesn't come. 2 hours in the car, and she doesn't ask. Finally, as we pull into the driveway at the cottage, she says, "just let me know what my new clothes budget is, considering that new f8cking piece of sh*t, that looks just like that other expensive piece of sh&t that you keep down in the boat house... :o :lol: ;)

Getting bad with golf... maybe even a little worse than hockey (other than sticks). It's just too easy to jump on eBay buy and buy nice used clubs with all of the different loft and shaft setups. It's stupid for me to do this with golf, since the clubs aren't the issue.