Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbyun04

NHL '12

The stars for the curve and flexes don't show up when you're changing your pro's gear, only when you're creating or editing other people. They made the curves pretty similar now, which is nice. With the toe curves you can actually pick a corner. I switched between the toe curve (most accurate wristers) and the heel (least accurate wristers) and didn't really notice much difference though. Maybe from farther out it affects you more.

I like the gameplay itself, although I did have to tweak the sliders to make me happy. The sliders will be really handy in this game, since not everyone will like EA's presets. I found Hardcore too slow, so I tweaked the speed a little bit. The goalies are way better this year too. The thing I'm not very happy about with the game is the lack of new options for creating players and teams. Same amount of gloves, helmets, and sticks as last year minus the lame circus gear. It's the variety and the minor details in the 2K series that I liked so much. Maybe 90% of people don't want it, but I thought it was cool to have the options for different shin tapes, how you tape your stick, etc. Nitpicky yeah, but I guess I feel like if I'm creating ME, I should have more options to do it. But, atleast the gameplay is good.

And for create-a-team, they left the same logos and jerseys as last year. All of these gameplay changes, but adding 40 new logos and a few extra jerseys was too much effort? There's like 300 names to pick from for your team, and only about 6 are relevant because of the lack of logos that don't blow. Not a game breaker, but a bummer nontheless. Be a GM seems pretty cool so far, although I've only just gotten in to it. Be a Pro looks like it's still going to take forever to level your guy. I played two games last night and got 15 XP per game.

what are peoples thoughts on XBOX versus the PS3 version... I am about to buy a PS3 and don't want to be let down (especially since NHL is what I play about 97% of the time on my brothers XBOX)

I don't know about the actual game but the eashl teams on ps3 were terrible compared to 360.

so frustrating to dominate someone online and not score...

We played an online game as a team, 4 of us VS 3 of them. The computer goalies aren't as dominate as they used to be, and playing as a team actually works in this game; as opposed to the one person with jacked up stats skating around everyone.

I can tell you online it's definitely more like a real hockey game. Goals came off great passes, rebounds, and deflections, not glitches, but that may just be because the game just came out.

I think all sports games made by EA are starting to use the whole buy upgrades on XBL. So far I've played Tiger Woods 10, Madden 10, and NHL 10 and they all offer the upgrades in some way..

The stars for the curve and flexes don't show up when you're changing your pro's gear, only when you're creating or editing other people. They made the curves pretty similar now, which is nice. With the toe curves you can actually pick a corner. I switched between the toe curve (most accurate wristers) and the heel (least accurate wristers) and didn't really notice much difference though. Maybe from farther out it affects you more.

I like the gameplay itself, although I did have to tweak the sliders to make me happy. The sliders will be really handy in this game, since not everyone will like EA's presets. I found Hardcore too slow, so I tweaked the speed a little bit. The goalies are way better this year too. The thing I'm not very happy about with the game is the lack of new options for creating players and teams. Same amount of gloves, helmets, and sticks as last year minus the lame circus gear. It's the variety and the minor details in the 2K series that I liked so much. Maybe 90% of people don't want it, but I thought it was cool to have the options for different shin tapes, how you tape your stick, etc. Nitpicky yeah, but I guess I feel like if I'm creating ME, I should have more options to do it. But, atleast the gameplay is good.

And for create-a-team, they left the same logos and jerseys as last year. All of these gameplay changes, but adding 40 new logos and a few extra jerseys was too much effort? There's like 300 names to pick from for your team, and only about 6 are relevant because of the lack of logos that don't blow. Not a game breaker, but a bummer nontheless. Be a GM seems pretty cool so far, although I've only just gotten in to it. Be a Pro looks like it's still going to take forever to level your guy. I played two games last night and got 15 XP per game.

i agree with like everything you said :) anyways there's a saying that EA only does the big things right and ignores the little things and 2k does the big things ok but does all the little things right, if they can just make one nhl game together

i agree with like everything you said :) anyways there's a saying that EA only does the big things right and ignores the little things and 2k does the big things ok but does all the little things right, if they can just make one nhl game together

I'm sure it'll happen not too long from now, at the rate that 2k's brand has deteriorated in terms of quality. I remember back a few years when 2k hockey games would be the only ones I'd touch, due to their realism...but it's completely 180'd. You'd have to pay me to play 2k's latest games. I just hope someday soon EA buys out 2k's hockey department and can therefore add their creation elements and details. To me, that's the only gripe I have with EA's games.

Has anyone done shootouts yet? They are pretty broken. Everyone does the same move...skate up, wait for the goalie to drop, and then STOP and shoot.

Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt is a rule in the NHL that in a shootout you can not stop your forward motion?

Examples: (1) http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/9353681

(2) http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/9354274

i do like that on penalty shots i am given control of the goalie.

I havent played too many shootouts, but most people ive played dont shoot like that. But i love trying to make a rolling save with the toes!

With shootouts, it's always about ten dekes and the goalie bites on every one of them...unless I'm trying it.

It seems like the computer really learned the trap well...there's four guys standing at the blue line and my team just circles around in the neutral zone with no clue what to do.

I still need to tweak the goalies down a bit.

i usually go to the circles depending on handedness of player and pull the spin-o-rama and goes in as for being a goalie I usually wait for the player to come down skate out and poke check or stack the pads I usually get the save.

- add me dumbpolak on live

With shootouts, it's always about ten dekes and the goalie bites on every one of them...unless I'm trying it.

It seems like the computer really learned the trap well...there's four guys standing at the blue line and my team just circles around in the neutral zone with no clue what to do.

Yeah breakouts seem to be really bad for some reason. Half the time I have to just carry it up the ice with my defenseman because none of my teammates are open. Kind of aggravating.

Didn't see this posted, thought it was funny.

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2009/09/nhl-2010-review.html

The game includes an interesting new feature called "Ask Burkie". You can type in any hockey question, and a simulated Brian Burke will provide an answer. Unfortunately, due to an apparent programming error the screen lacks an "exit" button, and Burke just keeps talking and talking non-stop. Even removing the CD and unplugging the system doesn't help. I eventually had to burn my Xbox and bury the ashes in the backyard to get him to be quiet.

Yeah breakouts seem to be really bad for some reason. Half the time I have to just carry it up the ice with my defenseman because none of my teammates are open. Kind of aggravating.

Create a play is your friend. Mess around with it for a while, it works great for breakouts and cycling in your zone.

Didn't see this posted, thought it was funny.

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2009/09/nhl-2010-review.html

thanks for the link, that was hilarious.

i personally like this one a lot

Finally, the game features an intriguing new mode in which two teams can play each other up to seven consecutive times, with the first team to win four games advancing on to play a different team. As a Leaf fan I thought this was really unqiue and creative, and hope the real NHL implements something similar in the future.

Jarrick I feel like you just suck at the game and for some reason it's the producers fault haha. For the break out stop behind the net and when you come out hit the center. Then usually one of your wingers will be ahead of the guy covering him, hit him with a sauce pass ( which actually work this year) and your in. Does anyone know how to do a high flip/dump into the zone? When ever I use the dump (holding r1) it's too direct and the CPU always gets there. When they dump on me it's always high like last years flip dump.l

turn down AI Learning? If you're playing on the hardest difficulty, the computer's stats get boosted. Dumb but thank goodness for AI sliders.

Jarrick I feel like you just suck at the game and for some reason it's the producers fault haha. For the break out stop behind the net and when you come out hit the center. Then usually one of your wingers will be ahead of the guy covering him, hit him with a sauce pass ( which actually work this year) and your in. Does anyone know how to do a high flip/dump into the zone? When ever I use the dump (holding r1) it's too direct and the CPU always gets there. When they dump on me it's always high like last years flip dump.l

I don't think that's it, my guys all just stop skating as soon as they hit the red line. Especially if I'm playing center or D....win the draw back, and everyone clumps up. I know I've read it elsewhere too, that the computer doesn't like to lead the rush very often.

First person fighting is cool, but hard.

Agitating is fun, but can drag on.

Board scrums are a nice addition.

Unlockable equipment is lame.

Music is hit or miss. Love Dragonforce, hate Nickel Back, Love Scorpions, Hate green Day

I agree with whoever said the opening credits were lame

Get used to a lot of repetitive play-by-play, lots of repeat lines from '09

Good luck with create a player, and the mutant faces they give you to work with.

I liked the Junior Prospects game idea, until i was number 1 pick, for the islanders, and now 0-8-1. Who says games dont mimic real life?

Yah, what was wrong with the faces from last year, did they actually sit there and think "hmm, we're gonna revolutionize the gaming industry with this one, we've got some great new features and, yah, I know we won a bunch of awards last year but lets change it up Let's Think Different. Here's what I'm proposing: all new Create a Player Faces!!!!"

Really wasn't necessary lol